Home

Realistic Running?

This is a discussion on Realistic Running? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Realistic Running?

I looked all over for some older gameplay and found the foot plant juke/stutter step I was talkin about @ 0:15, 3:54, and 4:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9Wi-CDtsQ
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 49

For me the running animations need redone. I think they look rediculous personally. Hope we see this in 2010.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 26

The "highlight stick" needs to be taken out. Its that simple. 2k5 had a decent idea with the right stick but I dont think that it was very user friendly to the causal gamer.

They should make it a bit more predictable to use instead of pushing up and right and doing some off the wall move you didnt intend.

They should make the left stick be more involed with how you run and if you are getting tackled and start to move in a way that would make a defender IRL slide off you then thats what should happen in madden. We should have to use the right stick or a buttion to break tackles all day long.

The right stick should move something like this...Up is a shoulder fake and up/right is a stutter step to the right and up/left is a stutter step to the left. The left and right should be jukes like they are now but allow for the double juke to be fluid if they have a good juke rating.

These Im not sure of. Down/left should be a stutter step to the left that slows you down but could sell better and make the player miss. Down/right is the same thing but to the right. The back juke should still exist because it is effective IRL. They just need to fix the AI so they slip off the player if they dont have the proper angle/stats to make the play.

The left and right bumpers would be left and right stiff arms. The Y buttion becomes the cover ball. B buttion is to spin. A would be to truck. If they remain with the R trigger as the sprint then that would remain the same but I feel that NHL 09 had the right idea with the left stick being the move buttion because it was no longer forcing me to press a sprint buttion then do another moves.

The Cherry on top would be to make it all changable(sp). So if someone wanted the left and right bumpers to be the juke buttions and the right sticks left and right be the stiff arm they could do that. Allow the player to fit the controls to how he/she feels most comfortable with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Will we get to see real running in madden 2010? This is NOT about run blocking its purely about RBs. I will start from the top with moves that should be in the game that arent.

I wish you could take a RB and just move in space in madden. There is no stutter step that barry sanders did back his day in madden(and many many RBs after him use it) A stutter step for those who dont know is when a RB sticks his foot into the ground one way maybe doing a body move then goes the other and normally doesnt lose much speed while doing this. Many big plays in the NFL are caused by this because it throws the defense off balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLlttt1CBg

See the sutter step at 0:56 along the sideline. At 2:30 he makes the player grab air by a sutter step and moves on. 2:37 he sutter steps inside and breaks it outside. At 2:41 the same play he does it again to the outside and goes back in. At 3:06-08 he doesnt make the guy lose ground but instead does a proper spin move(more on that...) At 3:12 he makes the guy miss with another stutter step. 4:08....5:11....6:01...6:03 and then he does a madden juke at 6:04...At 6:22 he does another proper spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZpzgA2Nsbo

AD stutter steps(maybe a juke) at 0:08 and then in the open field stutter steps the back peddling D player at 0:10 to score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeeF6pJ6l0I

At 0:22 stutter step...0:54...1:30....2:18...2:47...2:57...I could keep finding more and more videos with RBs stutter stepping but I think I made my point.

Currently madden only has the "juke" buttion and rarely in the NFL will you see a player use a "madden juke". Side Note the back juke is worthless against CP and has limited uses in human games if the other player is a big hit abuser is the only time to use it.

In an attempt to find players doing a realistic spin I found more stutter step/juke from LT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN44jQvLiCM

On to the "spin" move....How many people on here use the spin move before they are ever hit to break a defenders ankles? You can almost always break one defender on madden if you take the proper angle and use the spin move. Rarely in real life will a RB do a spin like madden. Normally they spin as they are being hit to break a tackle. Also when a player spins in real life he slows down some and doesnt stay at break neck speeds.

This is about the only time I think I have seen a RB spin in the wide open trying to do like madden...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctjgOEfrpg

wow that was hardcore.

The stiff arm is also something that needs to be worked on. Countless times I have a RB with 90+ stiff arm and I cant use it because he wont switch the ball over to the other hand to let me stiff arm. The best time to stiff arm is right after you truck someone and you are going down its just plain stupid.

I will list every stiff arm that happens in this video. At 0:03....0:15....0:41....0:43....0:50-53 and at 0:54 a spin move....video ends at 1:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZG9XOGckVA

I would love to be able to take a back and just run down the field and stiff arm people to keep them at arms length to help me get more yards in madden but its almost as pointless as the back juke that it rarely works properly. It should be more realistic and we should be able to change where the ball is in our hands.

2k5 had alot of offer when it came to the run game and this video shows that they were close to a realistic running game. But the fact that you could almost always pull a move that would make the D miss really does hurt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyxJqANaSA

What are yalls opinions about 09 running game? What do you think is good about it and what do you think is bad or needs to be added in?

PS...Again I bring up this is not about run blocking, its about what RBs can do in video games and in real life.

Excellent Excellent Post... This is why 2k was so great..

Bottom line is, and im going to use caps, MADDEN CAN'T BE COMPARED TO 2K FOOTBALL!. Sorry.. When it comes to animations and feel of control, Madden doesn't come close. It fails miserably.

This is one of my biggest grips about Madden, is that you don't feel like you have total control of the players. And when you throw in 2k's oline & dline and running animations, it's just in a different league.. sad but it's the truth. Hopefully Madden 2010 improves on all that, but it's hard to believe it can improve that much in 1 year. Madden is far behind and has so much ground to make up. And this is suppose to be Next Gen
Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 10

God I love that current gen lean. It was even better in Ncaa. Really miss that quick L1 / R1 juke

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »