Home

99 SKILL RATINGS

This is a discussion on 99 SKILL RATINGS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
99 SKILL RATINGS

This is a rating that is overused and shouldn't be. If you really want to make ratings mean something..this is a rating you should be greedy with..so greedy that you just dont use it. I know I know but hear me out. With the exception of speed and throw power..when you start up franchise mode(unless you have created players)..nobody should have 99 anything. And Definately not 100. 99 says you are GOD at what you do..and no i didnt mean to say good..I meant GOD.

Last year..the only person who deserved 99 throw power was brett favre..And jamarcus russell right behind him with 98.

Peyton should be the only person with 99 qb awareness

Drew Brees should have 99 accuracy..He's the man..he deserves a big picture.

And Mcnabb should have a 99 "likely to p**s me off rating..A new one i suggested..it never made it in the game though.

I could go through this with every position but you get the point. What Im trying to get to with this though is making dominant players unique. EA should make 99 something we really have to worry about. If there is a Lt with 99 strength and 99 pass blocking..You might as well not even pass rush on that side..a quarterback with 99 throw power and 99 throw accuracy on your team..not even fair. You get the picture..but right now..anybody can have 99 so its pointless..but my favorite one right now is having peyton with 100 qb rating throw 5 interceptions..no pressure..receivers wide open..5 interceptions..you gotta love it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: 99 SKILL RATINGS

There are so many things wrong with the OP but all Im going to add is they are scaling down the stats so 99 will become even more rare. For all the other people who just joined, please read the dev's posts before you post something.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

While I do agree the 99 rating is way overused, I respectfully disagree with your examples. Brett Favre deserved no where near a 99 arm strength rating last year. While it may have had a lot to do with a torn biceps muscle, his arm strength was still significantly lower than it has been in the past. Even in '07 when he had a good year, his arm was still not the strongest in the league. Favre probably deserved a 92 arm strength rating last year and a 96-97 the year before. Jamarcus Russel clearly has the strongest arm in the league. If anyone deserves that 99 THP, it's Russel.

Peyton Manning might deserve a 99 awareness rating, but if so.. so does Tom Brady. Peyton is a very smart QB, but he routinely struggles against 3-4 defenses where the 4th pass rusher is often disguised and difficult to recognize. Things like that make me think he deserves a 98 AWR rating with Brady having the 99 rating. Brady always performed well throughout his career with far less talent at the WR position which leads me to believe he is just as football smart if not smarter than Manning. As soon as Brady got Manning-like receiever talent, he threw more TDs than Peyton did in Peytons best season, while throwing 2 less interceptions. Not to mention he doesn't play all of his home games in a climate controlled dome and didn't have anything near a 1,500 yard rusher like Manning did.

Anyway, I agree the 99 rating is far overused. There shouldn't be six guys in the game with 99 accelaration. Thats crazy. I know it's not 99, but SEVEN guys in the game have a 98+ block shedding rating. Really ? There are seven players in the NFL who are almost literally impossible to block ? The craziest of all is the Stamina rating. There are TWENTY TWO players in the game with a 98+ Stamina rating. 10 of which have a 99 rating. It's absurd.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

First off, this was handled in one of the first blogs from the devs.

Now that that is out of the way, I agree that there are way to many people rated 99. Actually all ratings above 90 are overused. I wouldn't say noone should have 99 ratings though. Randy moss a couple years ago I would say would have truly deserved a 99 in spectacular catch. I would not be disappointed if fitz had that this year. A few years ago marvin harrison deserved a 99 in route running. Tom brady probably deserves 99 or close to that in short accuract, peyton in mid accuracy, and drew at deep accuracy. You could go on and probably find someone who might deserve a 99 in most areas. The only areas where I would say noone deserves a 99 is any area where there has been a player in the past who you can honestly say was better at that than any player in the game today. However any player who in an area you can find even one player better than him, he should not have a 99.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

I agree that no one should have a 99 rating in a skill category... i think 99 should be a "God like" rating. A QB with a throw power should be able to throw the ball 100 yards or something like that. And then scale back from that. A back with a 99 speed and acceleration should be able to run a 4.0 flat 40. And then simply scale back from that. Or just extend the rating system from 1-100.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchditcher
While I do agree the 99 rating is way overused, I respectfully disagree with your examples. Brett Favre deserved no where near a 99 arm strength rating last year. While it may have had a lot to do with a torn biceps muscle, his arm strength was still significantly lower than it has been in the past. Even in '07 when he had a good year, his arm was still not the strongest in the league. Favre probably deserved a 92 arm strength rating last year and a 96-97 the year before. Jamarcus Russel clearly has the strongest arm in the league. If anyone deserves that 99 THP, it's Russel.

Peyton Manning might deserve a 99 awareness rating, but if so.. so does Tom Brady. Peyton is a very smart QB, but he routinely struggles against 3-4 defenses where the 4th pass rusher is often disguised and difficult to recognize. Things like that make me think he deserves a 98 AWR rating with Brady having the 99 rating. Brady always performed well throughout his career with far less talent at the WR position which leads me to believe he is just as football smart if not smarter than Manning. As soon as Brady got Manning-like receiever talent, he threw more TDs than Peyton did in Peytons best season, while throwing 2 less interceptions. Not to mention he doesn't play all of his home games in a climate controlled dome and didn't have anything near a 1,500 yard rusher like Manning did.

Anyway, I agree the 99 rating is far overused. There shouldn't be six guys in the game with 99 accelaration. Thats crazy. I know it's not 99, but SEVEN guys in the game have a 98+ block shedding rating. Really ? There are seven players in the NFL who are almost literally impossible to block ? The craziest of all is the Stamina rating. There are TWENTY TWO players in the game with a 98+ Stamina rating. 10 of which have a 99 rating. It's absurd.
I agree, 99 shouldn't be for the best in the league necessarily today, but of all time. You should need close to Barry Sanders type elusiveness to get a 99 in that category. I know it's hard to compare eras, but I'm just saying, you should be near perfection at that attribute to warrant a 99 (which is what it suggests).

Oh and for THP, I'd say the biggest rival to Jamarcus would be Flacco and then probably followed by Cutler (if I'm not overlooking anyone).

But ya, as others have said before me, the ratings are getting scaled back anyway.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber
I agree that no one should have a 99 rating in a skill category... i think 99 should be a "God like" rating. A QB with a throw power should be able to throw the ball 100 yards or something like that. And then scale back from that. A back with a 99 speed and acceleration should be able to run a 4.0 flat 40. And then simply scale back from that. Or just extend the rating system from 1-100.
Your thoughts about what should be a 99 isnt human without steroids. the worlds fastest ever 40 yard dash was a 4.09 that can be proved. Jamarcus Russel who can throw the ball 80 yards was beyond freakishly that he was drafted 1st of 1st.(only player in the NFL that desevres 99 throw power)

Glen Gorbous (Canada) threw a baseball 445 ft. 10 inches on August 1, 1957...thats 148 yards and a baseball weighs 5 oz. The NFL uses a football that weighs from 14-15 oz... Throwing a football 100 yards is impossible without using roids.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd prefer the ratings be on a curve considering only past year performances & current year expectations. The best in a particular category for the current year should be a 99/100, and everyone else should be scaled down from there. Then, each year, just change what that 99 represents to match that years performance/expectations.

My theory is that, who know's what a 99/100 will ever be if we're comparing past, present & future performances. What would make someone deserving of a 99? How accurate would someone have to be to get a 99 Accuracy rating? Whatever that is, someone will top that performance at some point. Or some coach could create a new offense that inflates a QB's perceived accuracy(West Coast Offense).

Athletes get better. Coaches get smarter. Rules change. There's no way to say what a 99 is other than to assign that 99 to the best at that skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »