Home

Owner Mode or Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Owner Mode or Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Owner Mode or Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Funny stuff....You an Eagles fan? I noticed the name.....
Yup...and you probably know how hard it is to be one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #42
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckinAPhilliezhat
Yup...and you probably know how hard it is to be one.
Lord knows I know.....We shall overcome.....some day......Why do I feel like I'm in church....lol
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Lord knows I know.....We shall overcome.....some day......Why do I feel like I'm in church....lol
because the eagles need jesus.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #44
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Forget Head Coach!!! I'm tired of someone bringing up that game whenever someone asks about a deeper franchise mode. I want to control EVERY aspect of my teams performance. The Owner, The Gm , The Coaches, and the Players. I want to watch the finances grow or decline based on the players I sign or the coaches I sign and HELL YEAH THE PRICES OF TICKETS AND HOT DOGS. When I start a franchise with the Detroit Lions I want to have to really apply myself, gaining fan support to fill the stands and sign better players, attract top level talent and build through the draft. I don't want to watch the computer sim the plays on the field, I want to control the players too. Why is this concept so hard for people to fathom. I understand if you aren't interested in this aspect of the game because you think it's pointless but hey I think it's just as weak and pathetic that you start a franchise with the Lions and go out and sign any player any coach you want without having to deal with real football issues yet those same people want to come here and call themselves "SIM" players. When I say "SIM" I mean "SIM" on every level they can get it.

My point behind hot dog prices is NFL team owners have nothing to do with hot dog prices and couldn't set them if he wanted too. NFL teams don't sell hot dogs... stadium vendors do. Owners just sell the space for the vendor to set up and licenses to sell hot dogs during his games... that's assuming the owner owns the stadium, which is the exception rather than the rule now days.

For most teams, the city owns the stadium and hires an operations company to run it. It is this company, independent of the team, that hires grounds keepers, maintenance, vendors, etc.. The team, in those cases, lease the the stadium on game days. This causes significant problems for a lot of teams (For example, the Twins can't sell sky boxes in the dome because they're all permanently leased to the Vikings... however, the Vikings can sell sky box seats to Twins games, and the Twins don't see a dime of it).

And nobody's talking about doing gameplay like Head Coach. It's Madden... if they took away the ability to control players on the field, everyone one of us, even the biggest head coach fans, would be pissed. That's not going to happen and it's not what we're asking for.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #45
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckinAPhilliezhat
because the eagles need jesus.
Lmao.....I guess you're right....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My point behind hot dog prices is NFL team owners have nothing to do with hot dog prices and couldn't set them if he wanted too. NFL teams don't sell hot dogs... stadium vendors do. Owners just sell the space for the vendor to set up and licenses to sell hot dogs during his games... that's assuming the owner owns the stadium, which is the exception rather than the rule now days.

For most teams, the city owns the stadium and hires an operations company to run it. It is this company, independent of the team, that hires grounds keepers, maintenance, vendors, etc.. The team, in those cases, lease the the stadium on game days. This causes significant problems for a lot of teams (For example, the Twins can't sell sky boxes in the dome because they're all permanently leased to the Vikings... however, the Vikings can sell sky box seats to Twins games, and the Twins don't see a dime of it).

And nobody's talking about doing gameplay like Head Coach. It's Madden... if they took away the ability to control players on the field, everyone one of us, even the biggest head coach fans, would be pissed. That's not going to happen and it's not what we're asking for.
Well said!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 7

GM is good, so long as it doesn't entail losing other abilities we had in previous gen.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #48
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Why people cannot understand why I, and others like me, enjoy playing franchise mode to it's fullest extent confuses me. I played Madden 02-04 on my Game Cube and 05-08 on my XBox a lot and most of the time it was in franchise mode. Something my friend and I started in Madden 03 was to Pick the worst ratted teams *Falcons and Texans* and play as them. 15min Quarters, Accelerated clock and we play as each other's opponants respectively. Our goal was to lead our team to victory in all phases of the game. This allowed us to play as various teams, use various stratagies and try out new players that we may want to trade for or sign in the free agency. We would try and play two games a night, or maybe 4 games on a Friday,Sat, or Sunday night if we maybe missed a day. Yes this may sound boring or time consuming to some but hey, we were in highschool and we live in a town of 250 people. There isn't much to do and it's more fun than it may sound to some once you start.

The other advantage is that when you have a year apart between titles, you need to come up with fun things to do in Madden. We took a break for 05 and came back strong in 06 and 07 choosing to play with our favorite teams *the 49ers and Raiders respectively.*

You may be asking where am I going with all this. My point is that a deep franchise mode with a solid draft, a good progression system and in depth off season can become really immersive and fun. Plugging away during the regular season, comparing stats with the rest of the league, winning weekly awards *or not*, having pro bowl players *or not* only to come up short in the playoffs is it's own sort of excitement to re-create the feel of real NFL seasons.

----- Below this line is off topic story about our franchise mode if any one care to read it.

Preseason to start things off I signed Randell Cunningham to be my backup QB for David Carr of Texans. First Quarter of the first game, David Carr gets a broken leg adn is out for 11 weeks. A trade with the titans for Frank Wycheck and 11 weeks later Randell Cunningham is making a bid for league MVP and the Texans have a competative 7-4 record.

Cunningham, however, is injured in week 13 and Carr comes back to his rightful place. the Texans bearly make the playoffs and lose in the first round with a returning Cunningham at the helm.
In the next two season the D is improved a little in the draft/free agency and the Texans make the divisional round and then the Championship game in the 3rd season only to lose to the Jets in what can only be described as our greates play in our personal rivalry.

Up by 3, with 12 seconds left in the game and a punt that pinned NY on their 8, on 2ed down my friend throws a pass for about 15 yards to Santana Moss who procedes to spin, juke and flat out run the D for the game winning score. The room was dead silent as we played/ watched this moment only to explode into cursing, screaming, cheering and yelling after the TD. honestly, there has been no Online experiance that can close to the fun times we had playing these games. I miss it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »