Home

Jerseys getting muddy feature should get fixed...

This is a discussion on Jerseys getting muddy feature should get fixed... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Jerseys getting muddy feature should get fixed...

Since we're in a "presentation" type of mood, I'd like to mention something that bothers me a bit.

I think the feature where players jerseys get dirty and such during the course of a game is great... however, what ruins it for me is when I see two or more players with the same exact "mud" pattern on their jerseys... Or my entire O-line has the same exact mud pattern.

This is actually one of those features where I rather it not be in the game if that's the way it's going to be. The goal is to immerse ourselves in the NFL experience, and if the player shirts did not get muddy at all, it would be ok, but when they all get muddy and look exactly the same, then it does the exact opposite... it reminds me that I am in fact playing a video game and kinda ruins the immersion a bit.

Its like in GTA, when you're driving down the street and you see nothing but the same exact car... kinda ruins it a bit.

So, the idea is good... but the implementation was not... I hope this will get some attention if its going to be left in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Jerseys getting muddy feature should get fixed...

I think it's fine the way it is. If it's a grungy game and it just so happens that you can barely see one team from the other, that's a product of the weather conditions and is accurate.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 03-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
I think it's fine the way it is. If it's a grungy game and it just so happens that you can barely see one team from the other, that's a product of the weather conditions and is accurate.
Not really what I was saying...

My problem is that the mud decal ...or whatever you call it is the same on multiple players.

So you have your 5 guys on the O-line sitting there with the SAME EXACT MUD STAIN ... Does that make sense?

They probably have like 2 or 3 Mud Stains to randomly bestow upon players, and most of the time you're going to see multiple players with the same one... which looks silly.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Not really what I was saying...

My problem is that the mud decal ...or whatever you call it is the same on multiple players.

So you have your 5 guys on the O-line sitting there with the SAME EXACT MUD STAIN ... Does that make sense?

They probably have like 2 or 3 Mud Stains to randomly bestow upon players, and most of the time you're going to see multiple players with the same one... which looks silly.
I get you, that would be really cool
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

I agree with the OP in the sense that any exact duplications in nature look unnatural in general. If it is noticable enough and you see the exact same mud 'pattern' on more than a couple players, it looks unrealistic. It's the same with animations, and why people always want more. If you see two players in the same animation at the same time, it instantly looks robotic, regardless of how great or fluid the animation really might be.

I think madden has gotten better at mixing up animations, and I've heard Ian reference somehow limiting an animation's frequency once it's been seen in a game.

Anyway, I'd also like to see that extreme mud effect toned down a bit. By the end of a rainy game, almost every starters' jersey looks dirtier than anything I've seen in the NFL recently. Maybe back in the day when fields didn't have the drainage technology, or at Hines field, but that's it.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

While it would be cool if it did happen, at least they get dirty. I'd rather have them get dirty with similar patterns then not get dirty at all.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
I agree with the OP in the sense that any exact duplications in nature look unnatural in general. If it is noticable enough and you see the exact same mud 'pattern' on more than a couple players, it looks unrealistic. It's the same with animations, and why people always want more. If you see two players in the same animation at the same time, it instantly looks robotic, regardless of how great or fluid the animation really might be.

I think madden has gotten better at mixing up animations, and I've heard Ian reference somehow limiting an animation's frequency once it's been seen in a game.

Anyway, I'd also like to see that extreme mud effect toned down a bit. By the end of a rainy game, almost every starters' jersey looks dirtier than anything I've seen in the NFL recently. Maybe back in the day when fields didn't have the drainage technology, or at Hines field, but that's it.
Yes, basically the same idea as the animations. When you watch a replay and you see a pack of 4 or 5 guys chasing the ball carrier and they all move exactly the same in synch it look very wrong.

Tone down the graphics and expand the range of animation and decal per player... The graphics are fine, more than fine really, if they are taking up too much engine power then tone those down to make room for these types of things.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
While it would be cool if it did happen, at least they get dirty. I'd rather have them get dirty with similar patterns then not get dirty at all.
I guess we're opposite on this one. It just looks so silly to me to see all my linemen at the snap with the same poop stain on them

I'd rather just not have it period if they can't randomize it enough to where I can't notice it... cause right now it just leaps out at me...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »