Home

Madden Play-Calling 2.0

This is a discussion on Madden Play-Calling 2.0 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Madden Play-Calling 2.0

I hope this thread gets some steam because I think my P.O.V could be debated very strongly.

Loaded up Madden 09 (Rented) for a quick game just to see where things stood since I last bought it, Which was the 1st Next-Gen Madden on 360, And what I noticed was something very disturbing to me.

I am the greatest offensive coordinator in the world (And I'm sure many madden players are also) And apparently I am also the greatest defensive guru in the world also because as I got bored of picking plays...I just kept picking some random 4-3 formation play and proceeded to stop a 4-5 WR set on a very consistent basis!

Offense

This made me ask myself am I really this good at breaking down defenses? Is it possible that I truely understand safety help and identifying zones and man coverages this quick? Is my play-action really that convincing that I even faked my own receivers? The answer...Maybe yes I do understand something about football but realistically...Puh-LEEZ!

Play-Calling hopefully can be seriously address, I found it very odd that while I'm in a 3/4 WR formation the defense came out in a 4-3, Pretty much making it obvious I likely had my slot against a linebacker, Which because of speed he will likely beat everytime, So now all I had to do was sit in the pocket and glance at were the safety played, 95% of the time 20+ gain.

I'm not here to complain but I'd just ask that play-calling makes a evolution in Madden this year, Maybe I'm no football guru but to me it seem obvious you don't try to cover a 3/4 receiver set with a 4-3 defense. I saw a poster mention using the A.I to track tendacies for better play-calling and while I do actually like this, I kind of ask myself do I really want to face a smart A.I who understands football better than me with no human element to it. It seems if I have to battle statistics majority of the game I'm probably going to lose very often...I can't really argue this on offense...This may actually be a good thing on offense with all the simulation things being added...My worry is....

Defense

As stated...After humiliating the team I was playing with my surperb offense I had no desire to focus on defense as I just wanted to kill clock, And randomly choose whatever the "A" button was assigned to...Often a 4-3 defense of some kind...My opponent goes into catch up mode, 4-5 receiver sets and could barely manage to gain a 1st down...Mainly because the plays they ran did NOTHING to punish me for picking such a stupid formation against a spread formation. So ofcourse I'm thinking "MAN THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE A.I PLAY CALLING!!"...Then I thought to myself..Wait....

Now If the A.I really was smart enough to react logically, I probably would get murdered! Sure I may understand when to use a nickel and dime but do I seriously understand "Gap Up Slot Tornado Blitz" enough to run that play against a smart A.I who (For the sake of my point) has been reading my tendacies and now I have no idea how to stop them because I don't fully understand plays THAT well to understand what I should be selecting to try and stop it. With the play clock winding down it's hard sometimes not to just pick a play and hope you understand what that play should do, If it is even what you hope it does.

So yea...All of this just to ask the development team how they're going about this simulation approach when it comes to intergrating A.I. play-calling. Will I still be the offensive guru I am because the CPU doesn't understand what I've been doing all game...Or on defense will the CPU continously call HB screens and short slants playing right into my defenses hands...Much like they've been doing the whole game? Is there even a balancing issue to discuss?

Notes:

Play Level: All-Pro
Human Team: Lions
CPU Team: Bengals
Final Score: 31-9 - Lions
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »