Home

Superstar Mode

This is a discussion on Superstar Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Superstar Mode

Now I know alot of People dont care about this mode..and I can easily see why..The mode is simply not what its sappose to be..How is it that having the option to live the life of an nfl player not one of the biggest features madden could offer?? Well for one..its because you dont live the life at all..You pretty much just pick the player you want to be and use him all game...boring..

SOOO..

My point is..superstar mode shouldn't be overlooked..Something as simple as making a live nfl draft and live interviews when you sign your contract with the team that drafted you or when you sign to another team..I mean..it doesnt even have to be a full live draft..just make it live when your player is picked...A small addition that could make a big deal.

but wait..theres a few small things that could happen before the draft(sarcasm) such as i dont know...the pro day...visiting teams to give them a private workout..madden has seemed to figure out that if you practice hard..you get better..but how come they dont know that when you dont practice..you get worse? Make it so you have to practice all the time..not just because you want to..

and o yea..just because you demand a trade..doesnt mean you will....

and just because you dont demand a trade...doesnt mean you cant be...

and albert haynesworths $100 million contract was based on his performance...not a player rating

but with that being said...if you have a breakout year..Please let us have a breakout increase in player rating.

Make it so certain teams actually have goals that you can choose from..teams rebuilding..teams trying to get younger...teams that feel they are one piece away every year? do you take more money to go with the rebuilding raiders...or less money to go with the championship bound patriots? Make us have to make big decisions..Make us have to be hesitant on signing long term contracts with teams because we might not be able to get out of it...at least not when we want to..back to boldin lol

but anyways..I just wanted to bring this up before people forgot about superstar mode completely..Its a mode that has plenty potential..please dont give up on it ian..well...thanks for listening..

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Superstar Mode

My absolute favorite thing to do in Madden is play SS mode as a HB. The only problem is that you can be a star HB, drafted in the first round, destined to be the next Barry Sanders/Earl Campbell/LaDanian Tomlinson (depending on if you picked an Elusive, Power, or Balanced HB), but your team won't plan it's offense around you. If you are a stud HB, your team will still pass 60-70% of the time. You could break every carry you get for a TD, but the AI will keep letting that INT machine of a QB pass the ball.

If they could fix the SS AI so that it decides to actually USE the stud player they drafted in the first round, then I would be willing to buy Madden 2010 just to play SS mode (although it looks like Ian and the gang are doing well with the rest of the regular gameplay).
Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
My absolute favorite thing to do in Madden is play SS mode as a HB. The only problem is that you can be a star HB, drafted in the first round, destined to be the next Barry Sanders/Earl Campbell/LaDanian Tomlinson (depending on if you picked an Elusive, Power, or Balanced HB), but your team won't plan it's offense around you. If you are a stud HB, your team will still pass 60-70% of the time. You could break every carry you get for a TD, but the AI will keep letting that INT machine of a QB pass the ball.

If they could fix the SS AI so that it decides to actually USE the stud player they drafted in the first round, then I would be willing to buy Madden 2010 just to play SS mode (although it looks like Ian and the gang are doing well with the rest of the regular gameplay).
I couldnt agree more...just another example of how your player is so irrelevant...you performance has no affect on contracts or how your team uses you...why am I star wide receiver and also doing kick/punt returns?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckinAPhilliezhat
Now I know alot of People dont care about this mode..and I can easily see why..The mode is simply not what its sappose to be..How is it that having the option to live the life of an nfl player not one of the biggest features madden could offer?? Well for one..its because you dont live the life at all..You pretty much just pick the player you want to be and use him all game...boring..

SOOO..

My point is..superstar mode shouldn't be overlooked..Something as simple as making a live nfl draft and live interviews when you sign your contract with the team that drafted you or when you sign to another team..I mean..it doesnt even have to be a full live draft..just make it live when your player is picked...A small addition that could make a big deal.

but wait..theres a few small things that could happen before the draft(sarcasm) such as i dont know...the pro day...visiting teams to give them a private workout..madden has seemed to figure out that if you practice hard..you get better..but how come they dont know that when you dont practice..you get worse? Make it so you have to practice all the time..not just because you want to..

and albert haynesworths $100 million contract was based on his performance...not a player rating

but with that being said...if you have a breakout year..Please let us have a breakout increase in player rating.

Make it so certain teams actually have goals that you can choose from..teams rebuilding..teams trying to get younger...teams that feel they are one piece away every year? do you take more money to go with the rebuilding raiders...or less money to go with the championship bound patriots? Make us have to make big decisions..Make us have to be hesitant on signing long term contracts with teams because we might not be able to get out of it...at least not when we want to..back to boldin lol

but anyways..I just wanted to bring this up before people forgot about superstar mode completely..Its a mode that has plenty potential..please dont give up on it ian..well...thanks for listening..

Great post! Ian please look at this. Also another thing they should do is let you choose at the beginning of the draft if you want it to be a "Fantasy Draft" only for 1st/2nd round. So you have a chance of going in the 1st round or if you want it to be "regular draft" so that all rookies go to the right teams and you end up in the third round like previous SS modes.

Because theirs been so many times i import my player from NCAA who has won the Hiesman trophy 3 years straight! won all the records he can for his position and at least a ovr of 95 or higher and he ends up in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
MVP

Jason_19's Arena

OVR: 23

I've never really played Superstar Mode, but this is a great thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Jason_19; 03-29-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

As much as I would like to see a Good Superstar mode (RTTS) I am pretty sure this years madden will focus on Franchise mode. Madden 11 we will probably be a significant change in Superstar mode.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckinAPhilliezhat

SOOO..

Great post the pro day sounds like a great idea. I think there should be some kind of vertical jump mini-game for receivers and cornerbacks. And combine should be way better, they should hold it in Indy too to me it more realistic.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've always thought SS mode had some great potential but ultimately fell short. I was bored the other day and brainstormed some ideas for SS but didn't know what other people would think of these:

I always thought one thing that would be cool is to be able to assign custom celebrations after certain events on the field that you could trigger to build more of a persona for yourself and celebrate how you see fit. I mean like score a TD either pull a Chad Ocho Cinco and do some crazy celebration or a Barry Sanders and hand the ball off to the ref. When making a big play on defense like a big hit be able to celebrate with teammates, celebrate by yourself, or just go back to the huddle.

There should be more character customization options so I feel like I am really controlling who I am rather than a generic player. Maybe have an actual like voice or something you could choose for live interviews or to use on the field and say certain things.

I would also like a broader range of equipment to choose from and be able to customize my face like the Tiger Woods series instead of a generic face so I can differentiate myself from everyone else and look different on the field if I want. Perhaps have it so some equipment is only unlocked after you reach certain goals and earn an endorsement deal with the company, or buy it yourself.

Speaking of buying stuff they have to make money actually mean something, I mean honestly what is my incentive to consider signing with other teams for more money if I can't spend it anyways?

Not sure what they could do that wouldn't be lame but maybe let you customize your outfit that you show up to the game in, you know how like they show players coming off the bus and what not and have you dressed in the locker room or for interviews. They could even bring back the house from the old SS and let you buy upgrades for it, and then there could be trophy cases for your awards, game balls for good performances and milestones, framed jerseys from old teams and pro-bowls and what not. Maybe taking it too far but have a car you can customize and show you getting out when you drive to practice and what not in a nice little transitional cutscene from your house to practice or wherever you are going.

As far as gameplay goes definitely get rid of influence points and having to earn them during practice, in the immortal words of A.I. "How the hell am I supposed to make my teammates better by practicing?!"

And maybe have you in some way have to learn the playbook so you know what you have to do on the field instead of having your assignment shown to you. After practicing certain plays a number of times have the game tell you what your assigment us like you actually learned it.

Just some ideas I had let me know what you guys think. Sorry for the long post...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »