Home

Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

This is a discussion on Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #97
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
1. No it isn't better more entertaining sport are, like football, which is manlier and cooler. Soccer isn't watched except once every 4 years, and foreigners only watch it because its the only sport we don't dominate so it lets them feel good about winning against us in a sport we hate and laugh at.
2. Even if it was, its only because foreigners don't understand what is entertaining and what is boring. They think not scoring is a virtue, reflecting the nihilistic, crippled and failed mentality of liberal europe. Soccer is boring because no one scores, real sports have quanitfable achievement and statistics which leads to excitement.
In the words of John Madden... BOOM!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #98
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Isn't soccer the most played sport for juniors in america?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_..._United_States

Soccer is the number one youth participation sport in the U.S. today, more popular even than football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, up to about the age of 13.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #99
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

American football fits the American culture so well and that is why it is the most popular sport in the USA. Namely, commercial breaks. While none of us enjoy commercials [for the most part] the stop and start flow of American Football is what makes it unique. If you watcha soccer game you will notice very litle comemrcial breaks and you just sit there and watch the whole thing. I am seious here. In the Giants Dolphins game many English viewers were curious as to why the play started adn stoped all the time.

Baseball is a solid sport but it is the "great american passtime" becasue it takes so long to play [R.I.P G. Carlin] and Basketball is almost TOO up tempo, but is a very competative sport in popularity. Fottball has that right niche of intensity, tempo, drama, and the large team play on a grass field that can appeal to a mass audience.

Soccer is hard for americans to enjoy [much like hooky, or soccer on ice] because there is no real break in the acion and it is very hard to tell who is "winning" becasue there arn't really any real stats to track like YPC and completion % and ERA and FG shooting % and so forth. Americans fans are also driven by numbers and talking about who the "greatest" is. Honestly, I can't remember seing a "stat" for soccer other than goals. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

We love to debate Brady and manning and talk about Manning's number and Brady's composure adn how Brady did so well with Moss while Manning had Harrison his whole carrer untill now and on and on and on. A lot of my friens are Mexican and love soccer and football [Raiders fans] and even they tell me the way we enjoy both games is very different.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 AM   #100
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_..._United_States

Soccer is the number one youth participation sport in the U.S. today, more popular even than football, baseball, basketball, or hockey, up to about the age of 13.
QFT
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #101
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
the only Americans who like soccer are the same people who spend every Sunday with the Style section of the Washington Post, pretend to like jazz, and pronounce "Chile" as "CHEE-lay."

America's soccer voluptuaries are a thin-skinnded bunch. For whatever reason, they cannot accept that Americans will never embrace soccer any more than they will embrace the other sacraments of northeast post-Christian urban elitism, like beer snobbery, giving the one kid you had at 39 a ludicrous name like "Tanner," or voting for John Kerry. If you do not like soccer with the passion of a drunken semi-literate Manchester yob, then you're a philistine. Wrap your head around that paradox, if you dare.

As for what the average John Smith non-hispanic, non-ethnic, white American male thinks of soccer? This:

Ian PLAYS soccer. I'm sure he loves this thread. Hi Ian!

[oh, got some brown on my nose, better get that.]
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #102
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Soccer is hard for americans to enjoy [much like hooky, or soccer on ice] because there is no real break in the acion and it is very hard to tell who is "winning" becasue there arn't really any real stats to track like YPC and completion % and ERA and FG shooting % and so forth. Americans fans are also driven by numbers and talking about who the "greatest" is. Honestly, I can't remember seing a "stat" for soccer other than goals. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
It is not really a stat lovers dream as far as individual players but there are plenty of team stats. Of course you also have to factor in transfers which add another layer of depth to the tracking aspect.

Things you might see for individuals

Assists
Total points (assists + goals)
Penalties

Goalies
Saves
Save %
Shutouts
Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #103
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
I have to add a few little edits to your viewing estimates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup

The 2006 World Cup stands as one of the most watched events in television history, garnering an estimated 26.29 billion non-unique viewers, compiled over the course of the tournament. The final attracted an estimated audience of 715.1 million people.[1] The 2006 World Cup ranks fourth in non-unique viewers, behind the 1994, the 2002, and the 1990 FIFA World Cups.[2] As the winner, Italy will represent the World in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The world population is the total number of living humans on Earth at a given time. As of March 2009, the world's population is estimated to be about 6.76 billion
Facts are fun...

non-unique viewers is also not a very good stat. OBVIOUSLY there are people who tunned in for each match. I would like to see what the unique viewership is. And again, Soccer being the world's most popular sport dosn't make it the best sport. When Britney Spears sold the most Albums it didn't make her the best artist. I know this is a bad example, but soccer has a lot of popularity becasue of it's history and EASY to learn and EASY to play status. Soccer is imbeded into human society and the rules are rather simple: no hands and score goals. Football has a line of scrimige and downs and running and passing and change of posstion and on and on.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 AM   #104
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I really don't want to take a stand on socer, but I honestly don't enjoy it becausei like the complexity of football. I understand the intracate angles and tempo of soccer, but as others has sadi, it just don't keep my interest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »