Home

Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

This is a discussion on Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #105
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Is Madden the most popular sport game in the world?

Football being an American Sport doesn't make it the best sport. It has a lot of popularity beacause of it's history.

Football is my favourite sport. Soccer is easy to learn, easy to play, hard to master. That could be said for any sport. You can't discern whats the 'best' sport.

ANd when Britney Spears sold the most Albums, it made her the most popular artist.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 AM   #106

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Soccer is hard for americans to enjoy [much like hooky, or soccer on ice] because there is no real break in the acion and it is very hard to tell who is "winning" becasue there arn't really any real stats to track like YPC and completion % and ERA and FG shooting % and so forth. Americans fans are also driven by numbers and talking about who the "greatest" is. Honestly, I can't remember seing a "stat" for soccer other than goals. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
I know you meant well with this post but I just wanted to say that I hate this generalization.

If you've ever been to a hockey city, you would know this isn't true at all. A majority of people who have actually sat down and gave hockey a legitimate shot love it.

If you don't enjoy it and your friends don't enjoy it, it doesn't mean American's don't enjoy it.

I don't know how we got to the point where many people claim AMERICANS don't like hockey or soccer but it isn't fair. There is a huge influx of Americans who have become soccer fans over recent years and if you have ever been to Pittsburgh or Detroit (to name a few) you would know it is unfair to say they don't like hockey.

Now, I realize neither sport is nearly as popular as the mainstream sports, but i think it is unfair to generalize American's as a group of people who don't enjoy soccer or hockey because there is a good majority that do.

Last edited by kehlis; 03-31-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #107
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Facts are fun...

non-unique viewers is also not a very good stat. OBVIOUSLY there are people who tunned in for each match. I would like to see what the unique viewership is. And again, Soccer being the world's most popular sport dosn't make it the best sport. When Britney Spears sold the most Albums it didn't make her the best artist. I know this is a bad example, but soccer has a lot of popularity becasue of it's history and EASY to learn and EASY to play status. Soccer is imbeded into human society and the rules are rather simple: no hands and score goals. Football has a line of scrimige and downs and running and passing and change of posstion and on and on.
That is why I put the emphasis on the final game.

700 million to see France/Italy
100 million to see Pittsburgh/Arizona

* Keep in mind us soccer (I prefer futbol myself) fans in this thread are not regurgitating this 1 billion figure for the Super Bowl.

I do not recall a big issue with people here stating that soccer is the best due to being the most popular? That is simply personal preference.

Yea soccer is easy to play. So is pretty much any sports I have ever tried. Easy to play does not mean easy to master. Golf is easy to play (swing club, hit ball, put in hole) but for some reason a couple hundred professionals have a tough time beating Tiger each week. You can say playing the O-line is easy to play at the beginning level. Find the fat kid and tell him to hit the guy in front of him.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #108
Banned

Quote:
I really don't want to take a stand on socer, but I honestly don't enjoy it becausei like the complexity of football. I understand the intracate angles and tempo of soccer, but as others has sadi, it just don't keep my interest.
It could be that your limited understanding of the sport, devalues the complexity it truly has. There is more to it than angles, passing and shooting.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #109
Pro

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
That's only US viewership. There were also 900 million people outside the US watching, its a fact just google it, they also said it on CBS and NBC.

so you're telling me that the Superbowl, the championship game for AMERICAN football is watched by 98 million americans, and over 900 million people outside of the US. Yes there are americans that live in other countries and there are people from other countries that follow the NFL (myself being one), but over 900 million??? you're kidding right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
1. No it isn't better more entertaining sport are, like football, which is manlier and cooler. Soccer isn't watched except once every 4 years, and foreigners only watch it because its the only sport we don't dominate so it lets them feel good about winning against us in a sport we hate and laugh at.
I dont think anyone was saying the soccer is more entertaining than NFL and correct me if i'm wrong cause i'm not a soccer fan, but i think there's heaps of soccer leagues around the world.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #110
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I know you meant well with this post but I just wanted to say that I hate this generalization.

If you've ever been to a hockey city, you would know this isn't true at all. A majority of people who have actually sat down and gave hockey a legitimate shot love it.

If you don't enjoy it and your friends don't enjoy it, it doesn't mean American's don't enjoy it.

I don't know how we got to the point where many people claim AMERICANS don't like hockey or soccer but it isn't fair. There is a huge influx of Americans who have become soccer fans over recent years and if you have ever been to Pittsburgh or Detroit (to name a few) you would know it is unfair to say they don't like hockey.

Now, I realize neither sport is nearly as popular as the mainstream sports, but i think it is unfair to generalize American's as a group of people who don't enjoy soccer or hockey because there is a good majority that do.
Honestly, "all-ism" is bad anytime. In regards to the "majority" Hockey, to my understanding isn't even in the top 3 sports in America. I mean no disrespect. My understanding is that Football, basketball, baseball are the big 3 and that NASCAR is actually #4. I don't mean in any way to put down Hockey or Soccer, unlike other people, but I did want to talk about how you are far more likely to find an NFL fan than a NHL fan in any non pro-sport city.

Again, back to the point I was really tryignto make, was that American Football [Highschool, college and NFL] have a greater appeal to the American psychee than all of the other sports and that all of the "top 3" are also sports that are accessable to the average TV viewer. Soccer, like Hocky, in my opinion are much more enjoyable lIVE than they are on TV. The same is true for baseball and PLAYING golf. I really don't think that Soccer translates well to television, in my opinion, regardless of the rattings becasue, in my opinion, the rattings are drvin by the games MASS appeal to the world as a whole because of it's histopry as much as anything else.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #111
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afro_dogg20
I dont think anyone was saying the soccer is more entertaining than NFL
Just a quick google image search of the terms "Brazilian Soccer Fans" would make for plenty of entertainment though. Soccer fans and non soccer fans alike.

"US Soccer fans", not so much.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #112

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Honestly, "all-ism" is bad anytime. In regards to the "majority" Hockey, to my understanding isn't even in the top 3 sports in America. I mean no disrespect. My understanding is that Football, basketball, baseball are the big 3 and that NASCAR is actually #4. I don't mean in any way to put down Hockey or Soccer, unlike other people, but I did want to talk about how you are far more likely to find an NFL fan than a NHL fan in any non pro-sport city.

Again, back to the point I was really tryignto make, was that American Football [Highschool, college and NFL] have a greater appeal to the American psychee than all of the other sports and that all of the "top 3" are also sports that are accessable to the average TV viewer. Soccer, like Hocky, in my opinion are much more enjoyable lIVE than they are on TV. The same is true for baseball and PLAYING golf. I really don't think that Soccer translates well to television, in my opinion, regardless of the rattings becasue, in my opinion, the rattings are drvin by the games MASS appeal to the world as a whole because of it's histopry as much as anything else.
Right, I agree with everything you said and you are correct (although I had never heard that NASCAR was 4th but I will take your word for it and not be too surprised).

Like I said I know you meant well and didn't mean to put down any sport.

I just wanted to clarify it isn't fair to justify these sports as something American's in general don't enjoy because there really are quite a few that do (even though they don't fall into the top 3 or 4).

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »