Home

Implementing unpredictability

This is a discussion on Implementing unpredictability within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this added to Madden 10?
Yes 69 73.40%
No 14 14.89%
Undecided 11 11.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #49
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Implementing unpredictability

It would be great if some of these were in here... it would just add to the game and separate the good players from the bad and the experienced to the rookies. I hate to bring up the show but they have this in the game, when I'm pitching with Dontrelle Willis (or a rookie) and the counts 3-2 and I put the pitch in the strike zone then throw it I'm thinking to myself "please hit the zone", if it doesn't I don't feel cheated because Willis is known for having horrible location (just because I put the ball in the zone doesn't mean he should throw it to that exact location). Errors are a part of football, and it would add great depth in the game because then people would have to be on their toes with certain players.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #50
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

this could be handled with a teamwork rating.

new guys not on the same page, or rookies in the defense not as quick to cover for a teammate out of position if not rated highly.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 5

Maybe a teamwork rating would come from practice and critical game situations. I would definitly like to see mistakes made. If you trade an olinemen or introduce a rookie maybe some of these mistakes are made.

I would really like to get comments on this and ability to implament something like this from the devs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #52
MVP

OVR: 55

Rare things happen often. This means there are MANY rare events in football. Many have been discussed in this thread. I'll list a few off the top of my head:

Bad Snaps - PUNTING
Bad Snaps - KICKING
Fumbled Snap - QB/C exchange
QB Stumbles on Guard
Bad QB/HB handoff exchange - basic football - IT HAPPENS EVEN IN THE NFL!
Real Time Injuries
Scrum for fumbles - IN GAME now!
Defensive player Ball strip on QB - see APF 2k8 - DE's and OLB do this the most.
QB Fumbles DURING a Pass.
Bobble Catches - I think they are in?
Players SLIPPING
OL False starts against a speed rusher.
DL Pass deflections - IN game!

As you can see these events are mostly considered RARE yet they are common in football overall. Many rare events = higher chance to see a random event compared to them not existing in the game at all. They all add up.

People won't get mad when they happen. They will be excited to see such a rare event happen in a football game and appreciate it!

Alluding to "catch up AI" is completely missing the point of "unpredictability". Anyone who understands statistics doesn't understand what these people are thinking?

Football can be a very unpredictable sport. 22 guys on the field, a lot can go wrong/happen!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 55

What are other's opinions on my post? Would this perspective help you further appreciate Madden and the game of football in general? I think it would!

add another cool idea - jumping the pile for TD's!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 15

This would add alot of realism to the game, it just has to be controlled.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 16

I don't like the idea really Gilly.

If im playing all game perfect then out of nowhere my QB fumbles the ball when he is about to throw then WTF is the point? Realism in videogames can only go so far and believe people will be turned off if this feature was in ANY madden game.

Put yourself in this situation and tell me at the end you will be like "AHH THAT WAS COOL...I LOST BUT THAT WAS SOOOO REALISTIC!!!"

Your at a Madden bowl for $5,000

1. Your down 2 points with 5 seconds left on your oppenents 10 yard line with no timeouts. You just came off of a 4 minute drive which landed you in the great field postion your in. You call on the field goal team with perfect weather. You snap the ball to the holder and with no pressure in his face he bobbles the ball and you lose the game.

Now your oppenent is now jump up and down screaming with joy "AHAHAHAH I JUST BEAT YOU MAN....YOU DID A TONY ROMO HAHAA! YESSS"...Now you meaning to tell me GILLY that you would have a big *** smile on your face and say "O BOY THAT WAS A GREAT MOMENT OF REALISM BABY...WHAT A GREAT FEATURE....EVEN THOUGH I LOST $5,000 ON BS I AM STILL HAPPY BECAUSE EA ADDED THIS UNPREDICTABLE FEATURE IN THE GAME"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 15

Maybe they could somehow tie this too player fatigue, or other ratings to have this happen at rare/random times?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »