Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
Banned
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Keansburg, NJ
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

I pray to God that the potential rating isn't set in stone. This is something that can work somewhat hand-in-hand with my Leadership idea.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/308665-there-any-sort-leadership-rating.html
MRxAmazing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
Pro
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Oct 2008
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I suggested earlier that the Pot be show as a 1-99 stat and instead of having a cap on skills(unless they are physical ratings) that pot be how quickly a player can grow with how well he produces. You could draft a Alex Smith who looks to be a great QB but he has no pot therefore even if he were to produce very well he wouldnt grow quickly.

On the other hand you could get a Mario Williams with great talent and solid pot become a supwer star. You could also get a Jay Cutler/Tom Brady who has everything you look for in a QB and Has great pot. Brady took off like a bat outta heck when he got his first starts that would be the example of a player with 90+ pot.
But the issue with that is that they are still progressing regardless. OK so I draft lest say Mark Sanchez (lets assume he will be a complete bust in real life) he is a 73 when I draft him but has a low POT(using the idea you are suggesting) by the time he hits his 11th season he is still getting better (lets say 87 rating). How does that make sense when there are guys in the NFL that are not good period,who have little to no sealing and never get better and never will? Guys like Ryan Leaf for example, with your proposal he will still get better every year. How does that make sense?
Obelysk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #35
MVP
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Feb 2006
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

There's definitely a couple of points to make:

1. Its fine to have a potential cap on a player but for the love of god don't tell us what it is!! That's like using a game genie basically to give us way more info than ANYONE in real life would ever have.

2. IF you are showing us the potential then you MUST allow it to be exceeded to keep us guessing a little bit...

Perhaps the quality of your coaching staff can determine how accurately they evaluate a players potential? That would put more emphasis on hiring a good staff, good scouts, etc..etc..

Bottom line though, please don't give us the actual potential cap for a player, that's just too easy. And will the CPU take into account this CAP when trading?
CapnKill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
But the issue with that is that they are still progressing regardless. OK so I draft lest say Mark Sanchez (lets assume he will be a complete bust in real life) he is a 73 when I draft him but has a low POT(using the idea you are suggesting) by the time he hits his 11th season he is still getting better (lets say 87 rating). How does that make sense when there are guys in the NFL that are not good period,who have little to no sealing and never get better and never will? Guys like Ryan Leaf for example, with your proposal he will still get better every year. How does that make sense?
You forgot to look at the small detail. "If he produces good/great" he would be able to progress maybe a point a season if that. So if that were the case and he did put up great numbers for 11 years he would be looking at 44,000 yards(4,000 a year) passing with a 2:1 TD:int ratio. Thats HOF stats right there and would deserve to be a 87+. If he had higher pot then his stats would increase faster with the same seasonal performance.

Does that make sense?
Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #37
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
There's definitely a couple of points to make:

1. Its fine to have a potential cap on a player but for the love of god don't tell us what it is!! That's like using a game genie basically to give us way more info than ANYONE in real life would ever have.

2. IF you are showing us the potential then you MUST allow it to be exceeded to keep us guessing a little bit...

Perhaps the quality of your coaching staff can determine how accurately they evaluate a players potential? That would put more emphasis on hiring a good staff, good scouts, etc..etc..

Bottom line though, please don't give us the actual potential cap for a player, that's just too easy. And will the CPU take into account this CAP when trading?
It would be cheating if they knew what your players cap was and you didnt know what theirs was. They should only be able to tell what their own players stats are so they could place a high value on said player if they stick with this system
Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #38
MVP
 
nuckles2k2's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Quick statement about another player.

Tiki Barber was a decent RB in his younger years but he just couldnt hold onto the football. In "hindsight" you could say well he had to pot to hold onto the ball great but I could tell you that Tom Brady is an amazing QB in hindsight and Ryan Leaf was a bust. But IRL he didnt master carrying the ball until late in his career after he was properly coached. He didnt have the pot to hold onto the ball until something triggered him to hold onto the ball better. In this case he was coached by a better coach therefore increasing his pot in carrying the ball.
I think you're confusing Tiki's ball carrying ability and potential...
nuckles2k2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #39
Pro
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Oct 2008
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
You forgot to look at the small detail. "If he produces good/great" he would be able to progress maybe a point a season if that. So if that were the case and he did put up great numbers for 11 years he would be looking at 44,000 yards(4,000 a year) passing with a 2:1 TD:int ratio. Thats HOF stats right there and would deserve to be a 87+. If he had higher pot then his stats would increase faster with the same seasonal performance.

Does that make sense?

OK I sort of see your point but here is the thing. Again for the sake of the argument, lets say that I Brady retires tomorrow. What is going to prevent me from practically drafting any rookie QB in the draft and make him look become good or great with all of those weapons that the Pats have on offense and that monster defense they have? I might as well draft the last QB available in the 7th pick and make will make him look good. Heck why even draft a QB when I can just pick any decent QB off of the streets and make him look good.
Obelysk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #40
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I think you're confusing Tiki's ball carrying ability and potential...
I said what I meant. Tiki had great pot but horrible carry. The people who do stats would ahve never given him a good carry pot because he had 44 fumbles in 7 seasons thats 6.28 fumbles a season. In his last 3 years he only had 9 thats 3 fumbles a season. This is because he basicly overcame his pot with good coaching.
Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Top -