Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is no fun. If I know the full potential of one of my players and I KNOW that he can't exceed that potential then that takes a ton of fun out of the entire thing....

Either let me judge that this player has reached his potential (doesn't progress no matter how well he plays)

Or, give us his potential cap but allow the player to EXCEED that cap if he plays remarkably well.

Just don't limit these players with a number, that makes it too mechanical...give them a little room to exceed or fall short of their projected potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

I agree.

I think in HC I had guys who had one of those "game-changing" moments where it said that my player had a breakthrough in ability and his potential rose or something along those lines.

I do agree that potential should change based on the system, team, players around him, and player performance.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_78
I agree.

I think in HC I had guys who had one of those "game-changing" moments where it said that my player had a breakthrough in ability and his potential rose or something along those lines.

I do agree that potential should change based on the system, team, players around him, and player performance.
Oh I like that... I never played HC, but I like that part. I can totally see a huge play by a player totally affecting their confidence level and thus effecting his potential, either in a bad way if its a bad play or a good way if its a good play.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

I think a cap on potential is the best way to go but occasionally allow a player to exceed it. But it needs to be rare. When you have players like Tom Brady who was recruited by Michigan, Matt Cassell who was recruited by USC then you can't be THAT surprised by the talent that they have. You're not getting recruited to a powerhouse Division one school if you can't play.

But I would occasionally like to see a player from a smaller school "shock" everyone in my franchise from time to time. But I would also like the freedom of knowing I can safely cut a player with very little upside to save cap room.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Having set potential kills a game. Thats about the short of it. Look at James Harrison. He would have had horrible potential in years past just because he didnt do well but then all of a sudden right place at teh right time hes performing above what his potential was. There are countless players I could list off as examples but it would be fruitless. So in short just say no to set potential.

Potential should be how quickly or how well a player could grow. The only time that there should be a cap on stats is for the physical stats. Players get better all the time, some just take longer then others...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

the potential rating is great in HC. In one of my seasons selected to have my scouts check out some players from small schools and ended up picking up this LE with a potential of 89 in like the 6th round. Well I had 2 picks in the 6th round that year and 2 seasons later he's the only selection from that round still on my team and he's my starting LE with an overall of 90. Kinda cool to see.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
the potential rating is great in HC. In one of my seasons selected to have my scouts check out some players from small schools and ended up picking up this LE with a potential of 89 in like the 6th round. Well I had 2 picks in the 6th round that year and 2 seasons later he's the only selection from that round still on my team and he's my starting LE with an overall of 90. Kinda cool to see.
you thought it was cool right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
If its anything like Head Coach Ill scream....The two things about HC that bothered me the most outside of gameplay was the pre-created rookies and the cap limit on a players stats.

I like that there is a potential but if its like HCs then it just completely blows. They "thought" Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco and all the rookie RBs werent going to be anything beyond what their current stats were....Need I remind anyone the seasons each of those players had?

The pre-created rookies killed the replay value in HC. I pray that its not anything like the 4 classes of 15 years. Sure you may get a total of 60 classes but come on...HC forum turned into "hey look at this sleeper" and if you wanted to play the game over and you got the same class you knew who was what and where they would be drafted.

Ill wait to hear more details about each one and how close they are to HC before I say this is the very first post that has made me feel completely disgusted (as well as happy they fixed the logic.)
Heres my other post

Quote:
Also to add further to my last post...

Do I need to remind the HC fan base of the thousands of players that came into the draft that had the same stats and they had the same height weight ect ect except that they came from different schools?

There is no way they could give us a full draft of 224 players at least for over 15-30 years because thats anywhere from 16,000-20,000+ hand crafted pre-made players...
How does that sound good?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Having set potential kills a game. Thats about the short of it. Look at James Harrison. He would have had horrible potential in years past just because he didnt do well but then all of a sudden right place at teh right time hes performing above what his potential was. There are countless players I could list off as examples but it would be fruitless. So in short just say no to set potential.

Potential should be how quickly or how well a player could grow. The only time that there should be a cap on stats is for the physical stats. Players get better all the time, some just take longer then others...
You can't perform above your potential... that's the definition of potential... how good you can be.

I think it can be OK if you have the potentials, but make it difficult for the player to actually reach it. Maybe have a guy with 89 potential, but he plays his entire career at no higher than 82 sometimes. He COULD be better, but something is holding him back.

Having guys exceed their potential makes so sense at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »