Home

New Animation Technology!!

This is a discussion on New Animation Technology!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: New Animation Technology!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's not natural motion, but, like Ian, I'm having a hard time seeing what I've seen of that type of physics engine working in a sports game. It works great for corpses and explosions, but football players aren't inanimate objects or corpses. .
Have you seen the videos for Backbreaker??? it looks great....just because it has primarily been in shooter, war, etc. types of games does not mean it can't be implemented successfully in a sports game....if you haven't looked at the videos of tackling....then you really should.....

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_c993
Have you seen the videos for Backbreaker??? it looks great....just because it has primarily been in shooter, war, etc. types of games does not mean it can't be implemented successfully in a sports game....if you haven't looked at the videos of tackling....then you really should.....
Further to this point... I'm sure the animations of limp player flailling their arms was made to show just how much motion one could creat using this engine. Like all things, I'm sure it can be toned down where needed, as even in the games that use it, it's not like every piece of matter struck by another one simply flies across the room at a million miles an hour... In fact most of them transfer physics quite well. The Backbreaker vids are not a finished product, but simply a demo of what the engine could do in a sports (football) setting. I'm sure like most little guys in the programming world, their intentions are to sell their engine to as many takers as they can (not unlike the Quake or Half Life engins).

I'm happy that EA appears to be implementing "new animation" style gaming, that being said, the enging in Backbreaker's previews show that it's not even going via linked canned animations, but actual free flowing physics based on what the sprites are being subjected too... Last year's EA football titles were very decent, save for all of the patches then need and bugs left behind after the rushed release... But better then years past. That being said, it may take a lot to get people to the point that they forget what could have been had they used this 3rd party's enging vs. slapping a fancy acronim on a "feature" on a "flawed engine" filled with last gen relics, as opposed to an actual new "engine" based on present gen abilities...

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in this years Madden, the talk of "taking it from the ground up" offers some sort of relief, BUT, this time, with the blogs and all, there will be no room to say "it wasn't EA, it was the reviewers that said that" it's pretty plain and clear, from the mouth of the perverbial horses in charge...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

It's probably best to look at all the intellectual properties EA has purchased in the last year in order to find out which one(s) have been used/modified to work with Madden this year. Obviously there is a new physics/animation technology being implemented in this year's version simply because the development team MUST update all previous canned animations (ex: FB dive) in order to work with the new engine(s). If it weren't for them having to fix old bugs/animations/clipping/etc they wouldn't, but in this case, it's probably an absolute neccessity to fix the "foundations" in order to make the rest work.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Sorry to be such a debbie downer, but:

"Madden 09 features a host of new features including a new animation system for even great realism and immersion into the world of the NFL."

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1349

"Madden 08's new animation system is head and shoulders above the ones found in previous installments."

http://www.gamepro.com/article/revie...madden-nfl-08/

In other words, EA talks about a "new animation system" just about every year.
Madden 08's animation system was natural motion.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
? Either you, or I am missing something... The posts you quoted doesn't indicate that Natrual Motion was used, the game doens't look like it uses it, and I have never read a an article indicating that they used it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
What?!!?!?!?!

What have you been smoking man?
Natural motion was not in 08 or any Madden ever.....

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Madden 08's animation system was unnatural motion.
Fixed it for him.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 16

I'm pretty sure it's true. It was one technology from natural Motion, just not the one from Backbreaker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »