Home

If we can't have a play editor, how about custom hot routes?

This is a discussion on If we can't have a play editor, how about custom hot routes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which would be a good solution if Phil can't get a play editor done by ship day?
Custom hot route system with pre-set hot routes (ala last gen) 5 19.23%
Custom hot route system with a create-a-route feature 9 34.62%
Allow for imported plays, then complete the web-based play editor after ship day. 7 26.92%
Dude, give it a rest. I don't care about this issue. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: If we can't have a play editor, how about custom hot routes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
I like the idea of a "create-a-route" feature. There's been times where I felt a receiver should run a skinny post instead of a deep post, and didn't have the option to designate that route to him. Creating your own routes would solve a lot of those issues.

There are 4 common NFL routes that I use alot that are not in the game:

Slant hook Slant break

Slant out

Flat out

I run them at various distances depending on the situation and route combination. Being able to put these in would vastly improve my ability to run my offense, and others to create the routes needed for their offenses.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
It's pretty crazy to think that the best play editor I've ever seen in a football video game was in Unnecessary Roughness about 15 years ago. (Of course, it had the hilarious bug where you could place the QB to take the snap from under center, but then move him all the way to the sideline, and the C would snap the ball all the way over to him.)

It'd be nice for Madden to take another stab at a play editor. Hell, at this point, I'll just take custom playbooks back.
Front Page Sports Football had a pretty robust play editor. By most accounts it's the best one ever in a football game.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
MVP

Ah, never played Front Page Sports. The UR one, though, I'm not sure could have been improved on. You could draw routes however you wanted with MS Paint-like lines, place guys with precision in any legal formation you could imagine, set up a playaction fake at any point behind the LOS, etc. I'm guessing Front Page Sports was similar.

Oh, and those routes, the only one I haven't seen is the slant out. At least in NCAA, since that's the game I play the most. The others, while uncommon, are definitely in NCAA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Ah, never played Front Page Sports. The UR one, though, I'm not sure could have been improved on. You could draw routes however you wanted with MS Paint-like lines, place guys with precision in any legal formation you could imagine, set up a playaction fake at any point behind the LOS, etc. I'm guessing Front Page Sports was similar.

Oh, and those routes, the only one I haven't seen is the slant out. At least in NCAA, since that's the game I play the most. The others, while uncommon, are definitely in NCAA.
I should have said that they are not available as hot routes. I have seen all those routes in Madden, they are just not where I need them.

I'm big on manipulating defenses with route combinations, so having the right routes in the same play is very important to me. I find the standard playbooks to be extremely lacking and frustrating to use.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
There are 4 common NFL routes that I use alot that are not in the game:

Slant hook Slant break

Slant out

Flat out

I run them at various distances depending on the situation and route combination. Being able to put these in would vastly improve my ability to run my offense, and others to create the routes needed for their offenses.
Agreed. I vote that they add either a play editor or a route creator to solve these issues.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Agreed. I vote that they add either a play editor or a route creator to solve these issues.
You know you like my top of the line artwork.

Admit it...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
You know you like my top of the line artwork.

Admit it...
Ian should hire you, that's how much I like it...lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

It should be noted that a "create a hot route" feature would effectively be a play editor, just one that was combersome to use.

It would be nice if you could save combinations of routes instead of just one at a time.

Just some food for thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »