Home

TO: EA Madden Designers...Amazing Idea for QB drop back.

This is a discussion on TO: EA Madden Designers...Amazing Idea for QB drop back. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: TO: EA Madden Designers...Amazing Idea for QB drop back.

Awesome idea, though adding yet another button combo would be as counter-productive as the extra button that was required in the Vision Cone (ie: epic fail). But still, I like the idea of penalizing online, cheese-fest scramblers.

Isn't supposedly the retooling of the passing cones & passing AI (which Ian blogged about) going to alleviate the arcade-like scramblign passes? Or is this yet another year of this drop-back, deep bomb b.s.?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

EA just needs to make it to where if you throw across your body, off your back foot while falling away that pass becomes wildly uncontrollable. These ppl who drop back 20 yds, run around then toss a pass will quickly stop doing that if they find their passes arent making it to the their intended targets.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

elgrazy, u ever played Gears of War 2? I understand your concern but it's rather easy and simple. The Vision Cone was really dificult IMO. The re-load is actually pretty easy, but if you neglect it's importance, then you are penalized. And in Madden, to many guys play the QB position in a manner that it is not played in real life. With this new wildcat, u can expect some exploits for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Also, just to add, a successful reload should not only provide a good set and accurate throw, but perhaps temporarily slightly boost your QB's pass protection and thus forming a true pocket around the QB?

Just throwing out idea's...

Last edited by LEGENDoflegends; 04-22-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

I think the problem here is that there doesn't seem to be a plant animation in Madden when you stop running with the QB. I am not trying to make this a 2k8 thread but I really feel they nailed it as far as the QB play. In Madden you can pretty much move around quickly and stop quickly without factoring in any momentum. I think this is where 2k8 did a much better job. In that game you can throw on the run but you are penalized. Even guys that throw on the run well (Elway) don't always hit there target, it just depends on the direction they are running versus where the WR is.

The feel is totally different. Maddens controls seem very arcade like. If you move with your QB he just takes off instantly. 2k8 if you take off you can see him dig in and start to move, its not instant movement like Madden. Same for when you stop, in 2k8 your QB actually slows down and then tries to plant himself which takes some time to do. If you are being chased it really affects things cause stopping and throwing isn't instant like in Madden. Madden feels so much like there is too much control when you move around, or a serious lack of momentum. It just isn't there! I think if you add in momentum you will see a serious change in how people move with there QB. I would much rather have the controls actually have a much slower response when moving guys that are starting into a run if that makes sense.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

This idea is is great. I wonder if it would be possible to to use something else besides a bar? To much clutter as it is.

Anyways, good idea!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDoflegends
I believe I have stumbled upon a great idea. Something different, something unique, and something to stop people from running around with the QB and make a user actually play quarterback. This idea can possibly stop potential glitchers in the new Wildcat playbook that is sure to be exploited. I am so tired of seeing guys throw off the back foot and complete perfect passes, so here's what I came up with.

What about if Madden put more responsiblity on user's when dropping back and planting their feet? What if there was and "active-reload" type of functon like on Gears Of War 2. Press the hike button(A), then there's a small sliding bar, then (A) again to properly set the QB's feet, thus making a much better and accurate throw. Each sliding bar should be different depending on the fundamental foot work of the QB. If the user's has an unsuccessful reload, then perhaps their should be an animation where the QB does'nt have a good set and possibly affecting the accuracy. My theory is that if you can't set your feet, then u can't throw accurately all the time, unlike in MADDEN 09. Then when people move out the pocket, the re-load re-starts as they would have to set their feet again.

This is just an idea, I am sick of seeing guys sprint one way, then throw off the wrong foot and complete a perfect pass. This could be me just playing to much GOW2, but when u think about it, it's actually a pretty decent idea.
You have to remember people didn't like the cone because the controls were too hard, I don't see the majority jumping on board with this.

The other problem is once again on-line lag.... I would tend to shy away from sliding bars, or meters, or anything where you have to press a button at the right time type of thing...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDoflegends
elgrazy, u ever played Gears of War 2? I understand your concern but it's rather easy and simple. The Vision Cone was really dificult IMO. The re-load is actually pretty easy, but if you neglect it's importance, then you are penalized. And in Madden, to many guys play the QB position in a manner that it is not played in real life. With this new wildcat, u can expect some exploits for sure.
Yeah, man GOW2 lover!, and I understand exactly the kind of quick mini-game this adds to the passing mechanics, but to have to "active reload" while dropping back, checking pass protection, & reading the WRs & defense seems like a lot of work.

But as stated, its a great idea to build upon, I'm just not sure of the implementation seeing as the dev's haven't incorporated successfully on a new gameplay mechanic since the Hit Stick. Also, as stated above, lag could kill this feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »