Home

Potential Rating Isn't In Rookie Rating File

This is a discussion on Potential Rating Isn't In Rookie Rating File within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Potential Rating Isn't In Rookie Rating File

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
83 is too high for an early-mid 2nd rounder?
Draft status has nothing to do with potnetial.

All of these players have some potential. If they didnt, teams wouldnt draft them.

He is one of those players who was a great college player, but his game doesnt translate well to the NFL.

He has little to no potential of being an NFL QB.

He has potential to be a wideout, but until he proves he can catch, he doesnt have a ton of potential to be a wideout.

His best potential is at RB IMO, but in the NFL, he wont be able to outrun as many players as he did in college.

He is a gimmick player, and I think he could do well as situational player in the wildcat. He is not an every down player though, and was a huge reach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
No, the point is you shouldn't be able to do that crap with a 76 OVR.
Never?

Matt Forte started as an 80 OVR in Madden 09...

Are none of you planning on playing Franchise Mode? Because I am starting to wonder what your angle is.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Never?

Are none of you planning on playing Franchise Mode? Because I am starting to wonder what your angle is.
An overall 76 player should almost NEVER be able to push past the 2000 mark. Its hard to think of even a 1500 mark being broken by a overall 76 player.

Maybe if they added say 4 extra games it could happen....
Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Never?

Forte ran for 1238 yards on a 3.9 AVG with 8 TD's. That's not even close to the stats you're putting out.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
An overall 76 player should almost NEVER be able to push past the 2000 mark. Its hard to think of even a 1500 mark being broken by a overall 76 player.

Maybe if they added say 4 extra games it could happen....
Why would you play Franchise mode if you didn't want to improve your players?

You still haven't explained your bias.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia

All of these players have some potential. If they didnt, teams wouldnt draft them.

He is one of those players who was a great college player, but his game doesnt translate well to the NFL.

He has potential to be a wideout, but until he proves he can catch, he doesnt have a ton of potential to be a wideout.

His best potential is at RB IMO, but in the NFL, he wont be able to outrun as many players as he did in college.

He is a gimmick player, and I think he could do well as situational player in the wildcat. He is not an every down player though, and was a huge reach.
First... a RB?? Then why would NFL scouts (who mind you are professionals and get paid to do this type of scouting) want him to perform at WR drills as well as QB drills?
Now if you said WR I wouldn't argue the point, but if you go back to 97 or so and tell me that Brady has the capabilities to be a multi-ring holding QB 85% of the community would disagree... one because he had no opprotunity to prove himself, and 2 because as a 6th rounder it is just plain RARE!

Same goes with TD (Terrel Davis) he was a 6th round pick from Georgia with potential, but literally 12 RBs were drafted before him, and not 1 performed as well as he did in his short career.

What we need to realize is that they should all come in with abilities to be a good player, period. They are drafted into the NFL which means they obviously suit someones needs and wants. I agree not every rookie should have a 92-99 POT rating by any means, but why exclude the chance for a 76 overall to put up those numbers. Take the QB position for example... there is no reason that on All-Madden you can't throw for 5000 yds on 7 min quarters in a season... even with a 70, if played correctly. So anyone under 80 should simply blow every opprotunity they have? Or simply not perform even if the playcalling and execution is perfect?

Have to agree with the Browns fan on this one!
Though I think I'll have a little easier time with Moreno
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
On this point, I agree with you
And if you do see it, it's not because of the running back. You would have to have a GOD-LIKE OL, blocking receivers and TE and a hella blocking FB with a great running coach.

The 76 rated RB should never get that kind of yardage w/o the perfect conditions, unless the coaching staff and scouts misjudged his ability and potential.

So, the ability and potential you see should be your scouts and coaching staffs perception of the players ability and potential. The better your scouts and coaching staff are at evaluating talent, the closer the perception should be to the actual number.

And progression should not be based on stats. Playing experience yes, along with a myriad of other things, but not stats.

The only time stats should come into play is when EA is making their yearly rosters or update rosters. It should not have anything to do with progression IN THE GAME.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia

A huge reach, huh? Little to no NFL potential?

Well, I think it would be absurd to think a second rounder has extremely limited potential or else he wouldn't be picked in the 2nd rounder. Teams just don't do that.

As for your huge reach comment:

I know most places I read close to the draft had him as a second rounder. Kiper I believe had him projected in the 40s. There was certainly talk of New England and Carolina taking him in the second if Miami didn't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »