Home

The "ESPN" brand license - EA owns the rights?

This is a discussion on The "ESPN" brand license - EA owns the rights? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The "ESPN" brand license - EA owns the rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
If EA knew what was good for the game, they would hire a voice actor to do the halftime and post game wrap-ups, kinda like Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. Except for Cris Collinsworth, every single announcer that comes into a game usually spends no more time than needed to get the basics down. If you have professional voice actors that know what they are doing, they can add a new depth to presentation.

I agree - those 2K announcers were awesome - and they were voice-actors, not ex-athletes or TV personalities.

It's their JOB to sit down and work on sounding authentic and entertaining. They really put effort into it.

Hammond sounds like he's just reading line after line off a sheet. I know it's new to him, but still - at least SOUND like you're enjoying the game!

Same with Al Michaels - he was AWFUL in Madden games. His touchdown calls were so boring and uninteresting, it was like they forced him to eat Brussel Srpouts before recording the audio...

John Madden himself was ok, but he didn't get into much depth in the playcalling - and EA just recycled stuff he said 5 years ago anyway, so what's the point.

Chris Collinsworth - I must admit, sounds GREAT in Madden 09 - HE get's it. He knows how to get into the spirit and make it come through. He's talks with personality and sounds authentic. This was a good choice.

Chris Berman also sounded great in ESPN 2K5 with the highlights and introducing the games. He even added his personal "swami" touch to it.

You need to find colorful personalities that get INTO THE SPIRIT of the game, rather then just guys who read off a piece of paper and then hop on the next flight out of town.

Whether they be actual TV personalities or just paid actors, they have to sound like they are actually into the game.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

I remember the little draft preview show from 2k, Which was great! hopefully they find a way to get that in there between now and 2011
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge

Same with Al Michaels - he was AWFUL in Madden games. His touchdown calls were so boring and uninteresting, it was like they forced him to eat Brussel Srpouts before recording the audio...
Are you confusing Al Michaels with Pat Summerall? Pat was waaaaay worse than Al. I liked Al a lot an if Tom doesn't improve that much this year, I hope that for Madden 11 they get Al Micheals and Cris Collinsworth.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
As for the NFL Network - PLEASE don't give us Deion Sanders... I HATE him as a TV personality. He's terrible and annoying. ANYTHING but that clown.
His "Prime Time" segment is hilarious. I will say his skills as an analyst are sorely lacking though.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Rookie

tylerd02's Arena

OVR: 3

aren't there already 5 threads on this, it's starting to get old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Are you confusing Al Michaels with Pat Summerall? Pat was waaaaay worse than Al. I liked Al a lot an if Tom doesn't improve that much this year, I hope that for Madden 11 they get Al Micheals and Cris Collinsworth.

Al Michaels is Pat Summerall 2.0 when it comes to Madden play-by-play. And that's NOT a compliment.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #23
MVP

I just had to open this topic so I could laugh at the excuses people come up for ea. Sorry but I don't believe one of them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »