Home

The playing field should be much wider

This is a discussion on The playing field should be much wider within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
The playing field should be much wider

Take a look at this image from the Wildcat blog post and do you guys notice how much more spaced out the players in the real photo look? For example, the far right flanker is on the number in madden, but in the picture on the left, the slot receiver is on the numbers.

expanding the size of the field in madden (at least horizontally, and probably vertically as well) would add more realism to the plays. It might make it a little tougher for the defense though, but I think slowing down the game speed will alleviate that problem.

BTW, I can't wait for August!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: The playing field should be much wider

I don't think it's that much of a fair comparison becuase it appears that the real life picture was taken from higher up. Also, the ball is at different spots in the two pictures.

Personally I think the size of the field in madden is just fine....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
I don't think it's that much of a fair comparison becuase it appears that the real life picture was taken from higher up. Also, the ball is at different spots in the two pictures.

Personally I think the size of the field in madden is just fine....
i hear you, but the camera angle isn't misleading if you look at the landmarks, which are the hash marks and the numbers on the field. I think they got it right in between the tackles (in between the hashes), but there's not enough space from the hashes to the sidelines. I mean, realism is realism. if there's supposed to be that much space, then they should have that much space. I know this has to be balanced against gameplay, but I've always felt sweeps and tosses were always very difficult and a wider field would help with that. a wider, more realistic, field would help with the wildcat too.

again, i think this might make playing defense difficult, but that's something that can be tested and tweaked out.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Rookie

or maybe the design of the play is incorrect. maybe just the play needs to be redrawn so that the slot WR lines up on the number, and the flanker much closer to the sideline.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

Well to me the madden picture looks like the ball is positioned either in the middle of the hash marks or maybe even a little towards the left one.

In the actual picture the ball is almost on the right hashmark, so that would explain the positioning of the slot receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I thought this at the beginning of the year. Figured thats why the rb cant get outside or players always being caught, but im hoping the ratings will help this with not everyone having 80-90 speed.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by djKianoosh
i hear you, but the camera angle isn't misleading if you look at the landmarks, which are the hash marks and the numbers on the field. I think they got it right in between the tackles (in between the hashes), but there's not enough space from the hashes to the sidelines. I mean, realism is realism. if there's supposed to be that much space, then they should have that much space. I know this has to be balanced against gameplay, but I've always felt sweeps and tosses were always very difficult and a wider field would help with that. a wider, more realistic, field would help with the wildcat too.

again, i think this might make playing defense difficult, but that's something that can be tested and tweaked out.
Okay I kinda get what you are saying now after seeing the two pics side by side again. I think we should wait for more pics though.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djKianoosh
or maybe the design of the play is incorrect. maybe just the play needs to be redrawn so that the slot WR lines up on the number, and the flanker much closer to the sideline.
I agree with you.

I also agree somewhat with expanding the field. It doesn't have to be drastic, but just enough to make the field seem wider by a small amount. This would also help to keep deep passes past the safety more realistic. DB in Madden can usually make up unrealistic ground and a wider field would keep them from doing this as often.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »