Home

Ideas to make field goal kicking more difficult

This is a discussion on Ideas to make field goal kicking more difficult within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Ideas to make field goal kicking more difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
Have the directional arrow swing left to right, the farther out, the faster it moves, the closer in, the slower it moves. Obviously having a better rating would cause the arrow to move a little slower. Just one idea
not bad not bad
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #10

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Have the directional arrow swing left to right, the farther out, the faster it moves, the closer in, the slower it moves. Obviously having a better rating would cause the arrow to move a little slower. Just one idea
I like this idea a lot.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
I hearby endorse this idea. To add SOME ADDED difficulty. The weather will make it increase speed with every full pass. If there is heavy rain AND WIND - with each pass it becomes EVEN FASTER.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

I'll throw in my idea from the other thread:

Quote:
Distance - The distance meter depends on the kick power of the kicker. A higher kick power slows the meter down so that you have a better chance at kicking a full powered kick. A lower kick power increases the speed of the power meter so that your chance of getting a full powered kick decreased.

Accuracy - Make the angle and direction of the kick subject to the accuracy of the direction the RS is pushed based on the accuracy rating of the kicker. Accurate kickers will allow for more leeway in the direction the right stick is pushed while inaccurate kickers will require near perfect direction for an accurate kick.

I suppose this is similar to the current system, but I am suggesting that there should be a significantly reduced built in margin for error. Perhaps a slider could be used to adjust this. I believe that in the current Madden the sliders for FG accuracy/distance mostly affect the ratings of the player, not your interaction with the meter. The sliders could be adjusted to fit my model so that the sliders affect the speed and sensitivity to direction of the right stick movement. This would be similar to the way baseball games allow sliders to tune the sensitivity of pitching meters.
Further explained...

Quote:
I really believe that the main issue with the current kicking system is that there is almost no need to account for angle or height because there is so much margin for error with respect to where you push the stick. If, for example, you can make a kick as long as the stick is pushed within 45 degrees of where it should be, effectively meaning you only have to move it into the right 12.5% of where the stick could actually move it is too easy. (Hell, you are already pushing it up, so you are actually just trying to find the middle 25% of the up direction.) If it was reduced to 18 degrees or even 9 degrees then you'd only have 5% or 2.5% of the total 360 degrees of the right stick to make the kick, ASSUMING you are aiming for the right 5% or 2.5%. That is what I was saying the kick accuracy should adjust, how spot on your stick push is. With a small enough margin of error, I doubt someone could get to the point where they are making 100% of their kicks especially if wind actually matters and the angle of the kick mattered more the further you were away from the goal post.

Even something like a lower-to-the-ground camera angle or something closer to the shoulder of the holder could add some visual trickery which could make kicks more difficult.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

My ideas to fix kicking:

1) Have the meter start ONCE THE BALL IS HIKED. Never understood why a kicking mechanism is over and done in madden before the ball is even hiked.

If it started after the hike it would feel like more of a live process. The user shouldn't know a kick is going in before the kicker even boots it, that is just silly.

2) Double tap/stick flip/triggerpull type meter instead of boring and simple up and down kick meter. I really think that one aspect of controlling kicking should involve the hold. It should be easy to achieve a good hold (since the majority of NFL kicks have a good hold) but it shouldn't be guaranteed. The same goes for kicking, as it's easy to boot a 53 yarder routinely and nearly impossible to miss an extra point, even if you try.

In madden you can kick an extra point by just flicking the stick up and letting it fall down to 0 kick power. I shouldn't be able to score points in madden that easily. Extra points are HUGE in some NFL games.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Too Bad Ian has confirmed that Kicking will remain the same for now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »