Home

Question: Potential...??

This is a discussion on Question: Potential...?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Question: Potential...??

So in the midst of all the discussion about ratings and awareness, I'm starting to debate alot on this one...

The last madden game I played, I was able to take a raw player, Via draft or FA and "coach him up" with drills and such to a respectable if not pro bowl level but with the new "potential" rating that it appears puts a cap on how good a player can be it leads me to ask, Then what is going to get that player to that potential?

Will it just be a random period were his ratings increase, Will the coaching have anything to do with it? Perhaps some new addition to franchise that ties in with it?

I think my main concern is, People breakout, Being from Detroit, Ben Wallace being a perfect example, There is no way if he was created in a game his potential would have been nowhere near what it peaked while playing with the pistons, So I'm just really going back and forward about if this is as "sim" as possible
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Question: Potential...??

The key benifits of the potential system are:

1) It stops every player from being able to become a star making smart drafting and at times lucky drafting as important as it is in real life.

2) It allows for true 1st round busts as occasionally a player can come in and get the 1st round pickup without having great potential and will therefore never become a player worth 1st round money.

3) It, in combination with the precreated classes, actually increases the opportunity to make real late round steals who will develop into anything from good role players to actual stars.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

Yes understood, In actuality I love the potential rating I guess I'm just wondering is THERE ANYWAY POSSIBLE to increase anyone's potential, EVER
Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't think it'd be realistic to be able to increase a player's potential. You are what you are. Everyone has a ceiling. To be able to go get someone off the street and make a probowler out of them, would be like an NFL coach signing me and coaching me up to be a probowler, lol. Not gonna happen.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
Yes understood, In actuality I love the potential rating I guess I'm just wondering is THERE ANYWAY POSSIBLE to increase anyone's potential, EVER
In head coach there were coaching skills that could increase potential but I don't see that making it into madden. There was also a "game changer" which was a random event that would occasionally happen throughout a career, probably once per year to one of the 32 teams for that one, which would cause a player to have some sort of breakthrough increase his potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 12

The problem is with out potential any player can be coached/trained into the Hall of Fame which just isn't realistic. The fact is almost all players won't reach that level and no amount of coach, training, whatever will change that.

This works great for made up players. The problem you are saying is that is prevent the existing players from developing into player they could wind up becoming.

There is not miracle solution to that dilemma. There are two choices:

1. All existing players have a 99 potential
  2. Someone (In this case Donny) guesses as to what the future will hold for these players based on the information he has at hand
I have to choose option 2. in this case because no one can see into the future and I wouldn't want to see all these player have that much potential because that is further from realistic.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Rookie

Effington's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree with the point of the original poster. For example, a guy like Drew Brees...he was very mediocre for several years to the point where the Chargers drafted a QB 1st overall, and now he's a superstar, I don't think anyone saw that coming. Also, any late-round draft pick that busts out is a surprise...
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 15

Josh Looman's team did the potential rating system in HC09 extremely well. Hopefully that will carry over into Madden 10.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »