Home

This just occurred to me - Rushing game

This is a discussion on This just occurred to me - Rushing game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: This just occurred to me - Rushing game

In real life how often do players really break 30+ yard runs? NFL.com only shows 20+ and 40+ yard runs. Of backs with over 200 carries last year Steve slaton had 1.86% of his runs go over 40 yards, deangelo williams had 1.83% of his runs go over 40 yards, had chris white had about 1.19% of his runs go over 40 yards, peterson had 1.10%, LT had 1.02% and lendale white had exactly 1% of his runs go over 40. That is 5 out of 24 backs made over 1% of there runs go for over 40. Most of the rest either were under half a percent. Big runs like that should be rare. Most backs don't even break a 20 yard run every game let alone longer runs. Peterson was actually the only one last year to average over 1 20 yard run per game.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #10
Pro

nightcreeper's Arena

OVR: 9

yea the a.i. pissed me off this year...
Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

The problem was blocking. The WRs do a poor job at making even the simplest of blocks up field at times and the O-line and TEs don't go 5 yards past the LoS as the play develops. Go back and look at them, they simply just stop and make no effort to make that 2nd block.

My best advice is to run out of the I-form or any package with a lead blocker. After a while you'll notice you can basically "steer" the lead blocker into a defender with which direction you move with your RB.

Most of my big runs with D'Will comes out of I-Form plays between the tackles. If Brad Hoover can make a block on a LBer I can generally cut outside once I'm at the 2nd level and gain about 10 yards. If I can get a block from Steve Smith or Moose I can bust some really long runs.

I never considered myself to have a good game unless I went over 100 yards rushing. To not do so for me is just inexcusable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I made a video a few weeks ago that helps talk about this very thing.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

This was done by me:

This by someone else. Many more like these are all from broken tackles or many broken tackles:

Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon14 Re: This just occurred to me - Rushing game

Wow you absolutely nailed it with that 49ers video. I thought I was the only person who realized that the blocking paths taken by OL and TE were completely ridiculous.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
In Madden 09, it's EXTREMELY difficult to break that big run. No matter what the speed of the player is. Why is that? Is it the blocking? Is it the defensive AI?

It's so annoying knowing that there's about a 1% chance of a HB breaking a 30+ yard rush for a TD. This is even worse for HB's with speed under 90.

Has this type of thing been addressed for Madden 10? Rushing has always been my favorite part of past Madden games. Madden 09 destroyed that.
I don't know but I believe this has been addressed. I remember early in the year Ian saying he broke a few decent runs with Earnest Graham!

I always found the running game pretty useless in 09 unless you had a 95+ speed RB. You'd be throwing on 3rd down just about everytime anyway.

I've tampered with sliders though and for the most part I can get 20+ rushes for 100+ yards most games. Until I tweaked the sliders though I nearly threw the game in the bin...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 03:55 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I made a video a few weeks ago that helps talk about this very thing.

That video is dead on.
You should have mentioned how when you hit the hole up the middle, as you accelerate through, 4 out of 5 times, the OL releases their blocks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »