Home

This just occurred to me - Rushing game

This is a discussion on This just occurred to me - Rushing game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #17

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: This just occurred to me - Rushing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I made a video a few weeks ago that helps talk about this very thing.

Horrible just horrible. Nice vid though.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #18
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
That video is dead on.
You should have mentioned how when you hit the hole up the middle, as you accelerate through, 4 out of 5 times, the OL releases their blocks
To be fair I think that is Madden's way of punishing players for mashing sprint too early. I find that not hitting sprint will lead to solid gains and hitting sprint means you are ready for a footrace.

I am a believer that you should use sprint sparingly and in situations where you are trying a break away. Like running to the sidelines to avoid the fast OLB or a footrace like in my video by Davis after he turns up field. In my EA Sports World video I didn't hit sprint until the two broken tackles so I could get away.

Besides if you have LT or Sproles, or AP, or CP, etc., don't they have enough non-sprint speed and acceleration to get away from enough people that you'd rather be abelto do good moves while laying of of sprint and then hit it to finish the run?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #19
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
In Madden 09, it's EXTREMELY difficult to break that big run.
Is this in reference to online play? In offline play there are several runs that can result in runs for TDs. Once you're in the open, you can circle around. The defense can't catch you. It's kind of funny. I should make a video of it sometime. 2K allows the defenders to catch up with the runner when they are running backwards to keep stuff like that from happening.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i think its the ratings that break this game.............

see all the players accelerate too fast, and react too fast.

if you are about to break out with a guy with 89 speed the guys at 92+ will accl in less than 5 yd and be at top speed flying around to make that tackle.

i dont mind that the cpu always has accurate pursuit angles i like that compared to bad angles taken too often.

I DONT THINK THE GAME IS TOO FAST the players play too fast in short distances( if you can see my point sounds weird to me too lol)

i am watching a taped game now and they are not playing at top speed every play.

also Awr needs to be looked at. if a guy is 90+ he will try to get in the play even if he was fighting the wr on the left( in a block) and the run went to the right he still has enough energy and will bolt over and make a play. i like hustle but c'mon long runs are afected by many factors like fatigue, hustle ( some guys give up or dont care) angles but madden cant simulatethese as yet
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #21
Pro

masterkembo's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
In real life how often do players really break 30+ yard runs? NFL.com only shows 20+ and 40+ yard runs. Of backs with over 200 carries last year Steve slaton had 1.86% of his runs go over 40 yards, deangelo williams had 1.83% of his runs go over 40 yards, had chris white had about 1.19% of his runs go over 40 yards, peterson had 1.10%, LT had 1.02% and lendale white had exactly 1% of his runs go over 40. That is 5 out of 24 backs made over 1% of there runs go for over 40. Most of the rest either were under half a percent. Big runs like that should be rare. Most backs don't even break a 20 yard run every game let alone longer runs. Peterson was actually the only one last year to average over 1 20 yard run per game.
I agree with this - 40 + yard runs should be something that happens once or twice a season, not every game.

I actually thought breaking the long run was a little too easy - it seemed some games like I either got stuffed for a loss or 1 yard or something, or I broke a 50 yard run (with Marshawn Lynch who isn't exactly known as a speed back). Once I got past the DLine it was just too easy to break it due to the poor angles taken by linebackers and safeties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #22
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

no one wants five 40yd runs per game but i would like to know that its possible.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

That vid earlier made me wanna puke. The blocking in whatever Madden that was was horrid.

It's like the designers of Madden dont' give two sharts about this game. That has to be apparent to sell that kind of product. What do they do for 12 months before the next release? Sit around with a thumb up their arse?

I'm a powerlineman. So would it be acceptable if for 12 months I and every other lineman did their job half assed and at the end of that 12 months overhead and underground lines started to fail and poles rotted and fell to the ground. Would it be acceptable if nobody had power to plug in their systems and play Madden?

Personally I don't know the first thing about game making, animation, etc. But it's the job these game designers have chosen so you would think they would take pride and put a game out there worth the money they ask for. $60 a game. You know these EA guys make damn good money. At least somebody is.

Then I get on this thread and see that video breakdown of guys not blocking, not even making an attempt.

Hopefully these devs know what they're doing. If they don't it's a shame they would even have jobs.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 13

I found the run game in 08 was quite fun... 09 was just frustrating as hell.

I'd break the odd huge td on 09 but only with a HB with 99 speed and it was always with a reversed counter... stopped using it cos it felt cheesey after a while.

Line Blocking sucked

Upfield blocking sucked

Suction made it suck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »