Home

Another attempt at Offenisve/Defensive line discussion

This is a discussion on Another attempt at Offenisve/Defensive line discussion within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Another attempt at Offenisve/Defensive line discussion

Despite what ESPN force feeds in people's throats, there is MUCH MORE to football than quarterback play. You win and lose in the trenches.

Bumped
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 8

You guys are music to my ears!!!

If I had a tag line for a football game that is truly sim it would be.

"The trenches, where football is won and lost"

or something along those lines.

You have earned my respect.

4-6-09
Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
Pro

I can never have a good discussion about Offensive/Defensive line interaction.

Oh well.

4-6-09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 7

1 other thing id like to see is guys finishing blocks! watch how orlando pace not only drives his man off the line but FLATTENS him THAT is a pancake and not how he "sits" on them so they cant get up and get in on the play

Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
You guys are music to my ears!!!

If I had a tag line for a football game that is truly sim it would be.

"The trenches, where football is won and lost"

or something along those lines.
LOL can you imagine the look on average consumers' faces if that was the case? I'm just thinking about past editions where we've had years focusing on the run game, pass game, defense, etc. Can you imagine seeing a tagline and the features on the back of the box ALL being blocking-related?

"Read and react blocking"
"Block to daylight"
"Blocking vision cone" (this one disturbs me just imagining it)

Last edited by burne; 05-10-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fexin teh grammerz
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
Pro

Line interaction will fix many issues alone.

QB has 100seconds to throw the ball. Not with proper line interaction, yet in reality there are some exceptions ... 2007 playoffs, Tom Brady (until the Superbowl) could eat breakfast, take a nap, then throw to Randy Moss for an easy touchdown.

On the other side I want to see the Giants (though I hate to admit it) dominate with their front four. I want to see them make the opposing coach have to prepare/adjust to the domination that is taking place on the field. This is mostly generated by their front four, which in turn makes affect every aspect of what the defense can do.

I just want football to be won and lost in the trenches.

4-6-09
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Does anyone know if this protak is gonna be used in the trenches? In Madden 09, I see tons of opponents dropping 9-10 guys in zones and using a dlineman and rushing 1-2 and getting pressure cause there is no double teaming. I really hope madden 10 has those 2 rushers getting pushed around by a double and triple team and give your qb all day like a real life qb would have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Does anyone know if this protak is gonna be used in the trenches? In Madden 09, I see tons of opponents dropping 9-10 guys in zones and using a dlineman and rushing 1-2 and getting pressure cause there is no double teaming. I really hope madden 10 has those 2 rushers getting pushed around by a double and triple team and give your qb all day like a real life qb would have.
I think in previous Maddens there was engage and disengage. There was no way to reengage fast enough so that you could attack the opponent again. I think Protak is addressing that. What will truly make this revolutionary is if I can bull rush with a DT or give a little push while blocking a lineman to a linebacker trying to delay blitz.

I do not expect all this to be in the game... just a little bit of it. Just enough to make the trenches mean something.

Just for an example I want Shaun Alexander to be good like he was when he won the mvp with that stacked left side of the line and then suck once said line disappeared.

A superstar RB/QB is only as good as his offensive line and a QB can only make a line slightly better... a bad line can make a great QB much much worse.

4-6-09

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »