Home

Why can you still walk through the wall?

This is a discussion on Why can you still walk through the wall? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: Why can you still walk through the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
To save space??, ah I doubt that has anything to do with it. EA probably just have it really low on there priority list.
Their is more then enough space with blu- ray(ps3),so I think it's just not a prioity for The Madden team.

Cincy still open.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Actually he's right. Its to save space.
Damn, maybe EA needs to start using 2 disks for the 360? If space can't even be spared for that, imagine what's missing...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 13

save space??? really?!?!?! gta4 had a billions walls in the city... how much space do madden need for less than 100 walls??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
save space??? really?!?!?! gta4 had a billions walls in the city... how much space do madden need for less than 100 walls??
GTA4 does/has different things. I don't think it's right to compare the two games...

Last edited by Bgamer90; 05-09-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Actually he's right. Its to save space.
Really can you link me to a post where IAN or another developer state they couldn't fit a couple megabytes maybe bytes of code to add an invisible barrier corresponding to where the visual representation of the stadium begins?

I hope you guys don't thiink to add a physical barrier they have to create virtual bricks. A walls/physical barriers in video games is nothing more then a little bit of code that says this is where your character will stop.

Show me where IAN or another developer talks about this, until then don't put words in their mouth.

Last edited by maddenps2; 05-09-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Really can you link me to a post where IAN or another developer state they couldn't fit a couple megabytes maybe bytes of code to add an invisible barrier corresponding to where the visual representation of the stadium begins?

I hope you guys don't thiink to add a physical barrier they have to create virtual bricks. A walls/physical barriers in video games is nothing more then a little bit of code that says this is where your character will stop.

Show me where IAN or another developer talks about this, until then don't put words in their mouth.
Look up interviews and commentaries form game developers. It's an oft-used tactic because a) it saves space, and b) if the player will generally not be going to that area, why take the time and man power to make sure all of its physical properties are correct and develop animations for it?

I'm not saying this is the exact reason the Madden team does it. But for every other game I've come across, these are the reasons. So it's a pretty safe assumption that, with Madden team members having commented on limited disk space before, they keep the walls penetrable for the same reasons as other developers do. It saves space, time, and man power.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoob
Damn, maybe EA needs to start using 2 disks for the 360? If space can't even be spared for that, imagine what's missing...
The amount of space required to make a video character stop at a certain plain/axis in a video game, is about the same space it takes to save the message i'm typing right now. Especially in madden where the geometry along the padding of the stadiums isn't that complex.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
The amount of space required to make a video character stop at a certain plain/axis in a video game, is about the same space it takes to save the message i'm typing right now. Especially in madden where the geometry along the padding of the stadiums isn't that complex.
Do you program games?
I'm asking becuase you seem to know how much space it requires.

It seems like it would take up more than that.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 05-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »