Home

Sprinting, your opinion please

This is a discussion on Sprinting, your opinion please within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How would you like sprinting in Madden be done?
Tap a button continously, the faster you tap the faster they run 44 30.14%
press and hold a single button 102 69.86%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Sprinting, your opinion please

Neither....Remove the sprint button and replace with acceleration and speed ratings.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Neither....Remove the sprint button and replace with acceleration and speed ratings.
This.

And, a big thing is when you are full up on the Left stick and you abruptly let go, it should take a considerable amount of time for a player to slow down with the momentum they gained running full tilt. You should have to pull back on the stick to make more abrupt stops. It would be a fine line because you dont want to end up running the other way Leon Lett.

If a sprint button is going to be in, it needs to be pressure sensitive like the RT button.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #35
Pro

steez3's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
thats what they do in NHL 09 and I really love it, can really tell the difference between a fast skater and an average one
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
All Star

OVR: 21

I'd pick the sprint button myself. I think the way it was implemented in last gen NCAA was near-perfect. There were easily discernible differences in quickness versus flat-out speed, it was easy to simulate a studder-step/changes in speed variation, which are difficult to replicate with only stick movement (because most people instinctively push the stick to the extreme in any given direction) or button tapping. Button tapping was explained once to me as running strides, and if it emulated that then it might work a lot better. While it's more involving I've always found it more difficult to discern speed differences than in the old NCAAs. Here's an example from NCAA '06 last gen. Note the 1:25 and 3:19 marks; button acceleration coupled with defenders taking appropriate angles really open up the running game to various possibilities. Right now it seems you can only slip tackles if a defender is practically on you because of the different directional control in this gen's Madden & NCAA:

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 22

I'm a Press and Hold guy myself thats the Main reason why I don't like the 2K series, that and the way they corner, they turn their shoulders wrong when they turn, its like there on a turn table or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTx--Y2PS1s

Last edited by apexbronx; 05-11-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarracer2552
The one thing I don't really like about 2k5...

Big +1. It is incredibly non-sim and I hate it. I'd prefer that there be no sprint button but that the left analog stick controlled different speeds depending upon how far you pressed it. If that isn't done, I'd like the left button to be like a gas pedal as others have mentioned.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #39
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Man that game looks like its on crack with how fast it is.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 5
Cool Re: Sprinting, your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
There shouldn't be any sprint button, IMO - I think the way it should work is that the longer you hold down a directional button in a certain movement direction, the faster your player runs (up to his maximum speed rating) - and if you suddenly pull back or turn, your player slows down again until you continue to hold in one direction again and regain up to your maximum speed rating.

Let the skill points like Agility, Speed and Acceleration determine how fast players run, how quickly they accelerate from stopped or altering positions and how quickly they recover from momentum shifts and getting bumped or whatnot.
I completly agree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »