Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #73
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: A Deeper Look Into Pass Blocking

I'm really liking all the new info, but I don't like the camera angles at all. I want a gameplay angle, so I can truly analyze what's going on. I feel that this Madden is making huge strides, but have been bitten by that bug in the past thanks to replay angle promos.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 9

Ian - looks really nice...the animations and player interactions are looking drastically better - especially loved the way the Tackle moves back now with a step and motion in the hands and arms instead of the creepy looking "float-straight-back" motion seen in earlier versions - (a little tight on the clips still - can't blame you, I know that you're trying to show the specifics here and not full plays in an unfinished build) things are definitely showing the attention that is going into these areas...

Some concerns/questions for you, the team or anyone from CD who got to get hands on with this pass blocking scheme:

1) LOVED the way Romo gets pounded by Ngata when he tried to roll out instead of stepping up in the pocket...that looked great and seemed to be very realistic...but (and you had to know there would be a but) what happens if the user controlling the QB is patient, allows the DE and OT to engage BEFORE attempting to roll out (ie. - how well does QB contain logic work now)?

- I know that the blog says you have the ability to break out of the animations when controlling a DE for example, but does this offer enough of a chance for people to continue the abuse of mobile QBs that has been in all football games (INCLUDING 2K5 and 2K8). 2K5 and 2K8 had what I considered to be a weakness in allowing the QB to easily step up in the pocket after the DE engaged the OT, and slide outside to the areas immediately vacated by the long DE-OT engaged animations. The only way 2K prevented this from being an absolute game killing disaster was by having the defenders not in pass rush respond to QB rather quickly and with decent contain logic - especially from zone defenses.

It SOUNDS like this is something you guys are aware of and addressed with the breakable animations, but is it working well now or in need of serious tuning?

No offense, but after years of other EA features being over-powered or controversial in implementation (Hit Stick, Impact Players, HFA in NCAA), I am not alone in feeling a little apprehensive about the way the tech works and how easy it might become for cheeser to manipulate. If the blocking is broken in any way - anything at all that allows either the offense or defense to gain an uncounterable advantage, the game has a very good chance of being considered a bust online or in head to head play.

2) Does the QB have to reset or balance or set his feet before throwing or moving? The first clip (Romo rolling into Pryce and fumbling) looks great except for the way Romo is able to so quickly take off on the scramble...he should have to shift his weight and take at least a bit of time to get moving in an opposite direction - it looks to me in that clip like he just immediately starts rolling without any limitations.

- This was something that the 2K games absolutely nailed - the QB roll outs were containable because the QBs could not move at will in opposite directions, or even make drastic cuts, without a significant slow down and gathering of their weight to make the move or a resetting of the feet to make a throw...I am concerned in the video by the ease with which the QB can move around...could be the limited number of clips shown, but it looks suspiciously like QB movement from Madden circa 2006-2009...
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #75
MVP

OVR: 14

Looks good, I assume that there was no mention of double team blocking because that will be in a future blog concerining AI, hopefully.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 30
Americas Team1 - U can try to strip the ball, even in previous Maddens. 08 and 09 had it and maybe, even, 07, at least on the PS2 version, if I remember correctly. Plus, not every tackle is going to be a ball strip attempt, my friend. Chill out.
Some of u posted about how Ian should be blowing all out with info by now. Nah, not in the plans. It's bit by bit every week as he first stated back in Jan on his blog. I like it this way, anyway, because it just makes me want this game soooo bad. I feel like a kid again counting down til Christmas, months ahead.
I think I will actually do a Madden Midnight Madness this year, for real, and may even be first in line. When I say I cannot wait, I cannot...but I have to
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 23

Nice blog, can't wait to see what the run blocking looks like.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #78
Rookie

floridagatorfan's Arena

OVR: 5

Great blog. Hate the tease of run blocking at the end as that is what I really want to see but it is good to see that they have done a bit of work on OL/DL as this was a big flaw in Madden.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

One comment I want to make about the DE's going into the tackles. To me, and this is just me, it has to do with the play called. This is why I'd rather have my own custom on the fly Dline stunts. I can tell by the plays they called for both Baltimore and Dallas, the DE's do not run the arc based on the play called. I ran Nickel Normal Cover 3 for an entire game in the CD build because of the DT twist stunt and the DE's in this play run up the field instead of going directly into the offensive tackle.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 30
Oh, and to those talking about the Romo clip - That is from Madden 09. Says it at the beginning of the vid.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »