Home

My view on how sports games should be

This is a discussion on My view on how sports games should be within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: My view on how sports games should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I didn't read the whole thread but Jhova I agree with you. I've owned 3 maddens since '05 and haven't even clicked on franchise mode in any of them. For me it's all about gameplay and online play. I come back to APF because of the strategy. If it had franchise, I wouldn't touch it. I never played season mode, not once. It's all about head to head competition and the unbelievable gameplay that's tied with it.

My argument is who wants to play the computer? Do you really get your competitive jollies by beating the computer that is supposed to lose? Do you really feel the challenge when facing the CPU calling plays? I don't. Online leagues are the more exciting version of franchise. I've played in numerous online leagues that keep records and such. That is far more gratifying and competitive.

The only way I'd even click on the franchise option is if it was online franchise with people I knew. Before you go bash me, I have played countless hours of franchise as a kid when I didn't have high speed internet (live in rural area). The second I got online play I never played a single player game reallly ever.

I like beating people. It's another medium for strategy, much like chess, Stratego, Risk or Starcraft.
Different strokes for different folks.

Why even argue with others that enjoy franchise?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #58
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Different time, things change...technology anyone? Weak argument. We are at a time when millions of people have access to the internet and are gaming online... you bring up the 80's? Anyway, I wasn't arguing to remove anything. I was just agreeing with what we both enjoy the MOST out of our sports games.

I'll reiterate for all those franchisers out there: Head to head is enjoyable over a long period of time when the gameplay is very good and online leagues are available. Customization is nice too. The strategy involved with playing a human opponent is the only reason I play football video games. Where's the gratification in beating the CPU? Where's the excitement? Can you really get jacked up for a playoff game in your franchise against the CPU?! Really?

I think a lot of people that don't play online just can't handle losing. Yeah, losing sucks even in a video game. Having another person beat you sucks... but its the competition and the fight that gets your blood boiling. I can't even stay awake to play a game vs. the CPU.
...I don't play online because I don't want to fork out the money for Xbox Live Gold and a wireless 'net adapter to play...my 'net connection is in another end of the house entirely...same for the PS3 (although PSN is free)...not because I'm afraid of losing.

And I can absolutely get pumped beating the CPU in a playoff game, if the difficulty is enough to keep the game close...nothing like pulling off a 4th quarter comeback, regardless of whether the other team is another person or a computer...

As for bringing up Mario, I was being facetious. It's ludicrous to say "I don't play it because its not another person, so let's take it out!"...if you weren't advocating taking franchise out, it's not directed to you. I prefer to play franchise, you prefer to play online. Why can't we have both options in the game without someone saying "Let's take out this one so we can fit in more stuff," even though that stuff getting in is not contingent upon having more space...

...also, Uncharted for PS3 did not have an online component...you had to play against the CPU...does that make the game any less exhilarating? No. It was plenty good for me, thanks.

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Different strokes for different folks.

Why even argue with others that enjoy franchise?
Good point. I'll shut up

@ Maelstrom: Yeah I can relate with the XBL gold costs. I never said, nor do I think franchise should be removed. I was kind of just emphasizing what I think is most important to me in sports games, and it is similar to the OP. I think the game should do whatever sells the best... that's business. People want franchise? Put it in! People want realism? Put it in! I got unnecessarily defensive and I apologize. If you get XBL gold this year: play me sometime! I love playing SIM football - GT: CreatineKasey.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #60
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Good point. I'll shut up

@ Maelstrom: Yeah I can relate with the XBL gold costs. I never said, nor do I think franchise should be removed. I was kind of just emphasizing what I think is most important to me in sports games, and it is similar to the OP. I think the game should do whatever sells the best... that's business. People want franchise? Put it in! People want realism? Put it in! I got unnecessarily defensive and I apologize. If you get XBL gold this year: play me sometime! I love playing SIM football - GT: CreatineKasey.
If I can find the time...I'd be willing to try online...and I don't see you as getting defensive or any need for apology. We can discuss things like civilized folks. As long as franchise stays in.

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHova1982
well that what constant roster updates should do RIGHT???? i mean if the rookie is not doing his part in real life then why should be good in franchise mode. roster updates should have been featured a long time ago and more current than what we faced today.
I am speaking about rookies that don't progress for 2-3 years. Take a backup quarterback for example, you want to see if he turns out to be a starter in the future. You need multi-year franchises to find this stuff out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Different time, things change...technology anyone? Weak argument. We are at a time when millions of people have access to the internet and are gaming online... you bring up the 80's? Anyway, I wasn't arguing to remove anything. I was just agreeing with what we both enjoy the MOST out of our sports games.

I'll reiterate for all those franchisers out there: Head to head is enjoyable over a long period of time when the gameplay is very good and online leagues are available. Customization is nice too. The strategy involved with playing a human opponent is the only reason I play football video games. Where's the gratification in beating the CPU? Where's the excitement? Can you really get jacked up for a playoff game in your franchise against the CPU?! Really?

I think a lot of people that don't play online just can't handle losing. Yeah, losing sucks even in a video game. Having another person beat you sucks... but its the competition and the fight that gets your blood boiling. I can't even stay awake to play a game vs. the CPU. And you know what? That's completely fine. Not everyone has a competitive personality type, or enjoys beating others. I'm just calling it like I see it.
i totally agree with you man i have that type of personality as well so thats why i dont understand the intensity franchise and superstar mode people crave for when u playing 0 and 1's

in my first post i point out simple modes but the focus is clear and that human competition. expand those and focus on bring the a very accurate counterpart to the NFL in gameplay and presentation and focus on make online fair for everybody. i feel this pro tak should have been in madden three years ago but i know developers have to worry about these gimmick modes so things take a back seat
Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 5

on a side note im just bringing a different outlook that i feel should be addressed in sports games cause it seems that people are turning away from the compeition of sports game. i feel that sports games are taking a serious back seat to shooting games.

shooting games and sports games(both genre) should have the same mentality. to battle against other and see who come out on top. shooting modes are simple: story mode, practice, and online or some sort of multiplayer modes and they sell pretty good and i feel that sports should follow that line but a little more complex

Last edited by JHova1982; 05-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 55

Madden has such a broad fan base, they need broad features. I think they have to do whatever sells games, and for us online features sell games, but for some it's franchise or presentation that sells games. For that reason I do understand why they try to put in everything.

If I were to be selfish and direct the game however I wanted it for my own enjoyment it'd be exactly how you describe it, but that doesn't really matter. We can hope that this season is kind of "our season" for getting improvements we will particularly enjoy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »