Home

Do you want the ability to edit player attributes in the middle of your Franchise?

This is a discussion on Do you want the ability to edit player attributes in the middle of your Franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you want the ability to edit player attributes in the middle of your Franchise?
Yes. I want to be able edit the attributes of every team's players 156 57.99%
Yes, but I only want to be able to edit my player's attributes 13 4.83%
No. Progression should be sufficient to handle player improvements 100 37.17%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Do you want the ability to edit player attributes in the middle of your Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack_Williams
I personally see a Madden franchise as an 'alternate universe' franchise so whatever happens in M10's franchise stays in M10's franchise and what happens in real life, happens in real life.
Which is exactly why I was a 5-time MVP QB and 6-time Super Bowl MVP in Madden 2000.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Do you want the ability to edit player attributes in the middle of your Franchise

This is an absolute no brainer. We should have TOTAL control of our franchise. We should be able to edit ratings....it's far more important than being able to edit the gear they are wearing. Having somebody with the wrong facemask doesn't ruin a franchise...but having 30 qbs rated 95+ after 5 years would kill it for a lot of people.

Some have said that progression isn't broken....really?....how does anybody know? Has anybody hear went 10 years into a Madden 10 franchise yet?...no, therefore we have no idea if progression is perfect or not. If progression happens to be out of whack after a few years in a franchise, then franchise is effectively broken for anybody who wants a remotely realistic franchise.

Bottom line, the ability to edit ratings would allow us to correct any shortcomings the progression system produces, because it's impossible to have a perfect progression system.

Also, nobody would force you to use it, so it's a win for everybody.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #51
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I wouldn't use it unless progression was broken, but I know it's not this year, so I'm not concerned myself.
This for me too but could care less either way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #52
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
This is an absolute no brainer. We should have TOTAL control of our franchise. We should be able to edit ratings....it's far more important than being able to edit the gear they are wearing. Having somebody with the wrong facemask doesn't ruin a franchise...but having 30 qbs rated 95+ after 5 years would kill it for a lot of people.

Some have said that progression isn't broken....really?....how does anybody know? Has anybody hear went 10 years into a Madden 10 franchise yet?...no, therefore we have no idea if progression is perfect or not. If progression happens to be out of whack after a few years in a franchise, then franchise is effectively broken for anybody who wants a remotely realistic franchise.

Bottom line, the ability to edit ratings would allow us to correct any shortcomings the progression system produces, because it's impossible to have a perfect progression system.

Also, nobody would force you to use it, so it's a win for everybody.

I agree 100%. There are people saying it ruins their experience if the uniforms don't have the right strip on the leg, or a helmet is wrong, or the sock length is wrong. What ruins it for me is when a player isn't rated what they should be. I plan on adjusting the entire NFL roster before starting a franchise, because I can already see they overrated/underrated players, that IMO should be different.

However, noone knows how progression will go (or regression for that matter). I don't want everyone to be elite quickly or everyone to barely go up at all. Plus there is the whole balance between potential based and stat based progression. What if I disagree how it was handled. Its mygame, let me play it how I want to play it. The only way to make everyone happy is make attributes editable. I'd be fine if it was only in the offseason even (so people don't change ratings every game and "mess up" progression)

Madden '10 "foundation" + depth of Head Coach 09 = my dream franchise mode.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #53
Pro

From this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hise-mode.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Certain physical attributes like speed, strength and throw power will not progress.

They can drop when a player gets older.

I can understand players usually not getting faster, but If anyone disagrees and thinks players should gain some strength or throwing power (Rookies get stronger throughout their careers, and QBs can get up their arm strength... its called "lifting weights") then the ONLY way to make people happy with progression is to have editable attributes

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanmank
From this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hise-mode.html

I can understand players usually not getting faster, but If anyone disagrees and thinks players should gain some strength or throwing power (Rookies get stronger throughout their careers, and QBs can get up their arm strength... its called "lifting weights") then the ONLY way to make people happy with progression is to have editable attributes
I absolutely agree, different strokes for different folks. Why have little things screw the game up for you when it would be so easy to just let us edit attributes. I don't even understand why this is a question, absolute no-brainer.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 1

did any of the devs ever say if this made it into the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #56
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwelch
did any of the devs ever say if this made it into the game?

It would be pretty sweet, but I have a feeling it would mess up progression too much. Josh gave the reason why strength and speed were locked in-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Just to clear up some confusion...this was not a design decision made while starting over from scratch to design the ultimate progression system.

This decision was made as we were trying to clean up and fix the system that has been in Madden for 2-3 years on Ps3 and 360.

What we were seeing is a lot of players (regardless of position) getting to 99 speed, strength, etc five years into franchise mode.

This never really happened last year since players rarely progressed so it likely wasn't as noticeable.

Once we fixed that and players started progressing as they should, we noticed that physical attributes were going up just as quickly for attributes like awareness and man coverage.

It was scary to see every DE in the league at 99 strength or 99 speed in year 5.

There was no easy way to make it so that one attribute went up slightly or another went up a lot as the current system does not support limiting attributes individually.

If the progression system wants a player to go up 5 points, it will make him go up five points. Whether that means increasing his speed, strength or awareness.

We had two choices:
  • Stop some physical attributes from progressing.
  • Stay with what we had and let every attribute go up, without limitation (which caused lots of players to get to 99 speed or strength).
The more logical choice in my eyes was to stop some physical attributes from progressing, so that's what we did. That doesn't mean this decision was made because I thought it was the perfect solution to progression going forward.

As I mentioned before, using a system similar to the one we created in Head Coach '09, with some necessary modifications, is where we should go in the future.

So if they were having a hard enough time making attributes progress independantly from each other, imagine the mess we'd have when people are changing attributes themselves and progression needs to kick in.

As I said earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another thread), I think we could possibly edit attributes only in the off season, so it doesn't disrupt progression, and players aren't being adjusted from their original 80 one game to 90 the next and then back down to 85 or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »