Home

After Playing the PSP Version...

This is a discussion on After Playing the PSP Version... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 18
After Playing the PSP Version...

I never dreamed that the best "new" Madden experience I would have would be on a hand-held console. Last night I picked up a PSP for the first time and fired up Madden 09. With all the power and attention allotted to the "big" next-gen consoles, it's a wonder how such a good thing can come in such a small package.

Obviously the graphics are nowhere near the fidelity of the PS3 or 360, but a couple of things about the PSP version had me wondering WHY the heck they aren’t included in the "big" versions?

1. Defense Camera Angle. I absolutely loved playing defense with the camera behind me. It felt much more intuitive and gave the game a better sense of balance. This should at least be an option.

2. John Madden and Al Michaels are still calling the shots! What?!? I miss these guys. How are they still doing a great job on the PSP when we have to listen to animatronic Tom Hammond act his way through our games on home consoles?

3. Running Game Was Actually Fun. Maybe its because the PSP is still using a last-gen engine (?), but I haven’t felt running this responsive and effective since the PS2/Xbox days. The blocking was much better and running to the outside actually got me positive yardage once in a while. I was the Cleveland Browns - not your prototypical rushing team and I was still able to move the ball against the staunch Ravens defense. I find that in Madden 09 on the 360 is the luck of the draw if your lead blockers decide to actually attempt to carve you a path.

Even without all the bells and whistles of its big brother, the PSP Madden 09 really opened my eyes. It was fun, which I think should be the goal of any great sports game. Why aren't these things on the other consoles?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: After Playing the PSP Version...

PSP has always owned. 2007 - Present. Perfection.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
I never dreamed that the best "new" Madden experience I would have would be on a hand-held console. Last night I picked up a PSP for the first time and fired up Madden 09. With all the power and attention allotted to the "big" next-gen consoles, it's a wonder how such a good thing can come in such a small package.

Obviously the graphics are nowhere near the fidelity of the PS3 or 360, but a couple of things about the PSP version had me wondering WHY the heck they aren’t included in the "big" versions?

1. Defense Camera Angle. I absolutely loved playing defense with the camera behind me. It felt much more intuitive and gave the game a better sense of balance. This should at least be an option.

2. John Madden and Al Michaels are still calling the shots! What?!? I miss these guys. How are they still doing a great job on the PSP when we have to listen to animatronic Tom Hammond act his way through our games on home consoles?

3. Running Game Was Actually Fun. Maybe its because the PSP is still using a last-gen engine (?), but I haven’t felt running this responsive and effective since the PS2/Xbox days. The blocking was much better and running to the outside actually got me positive yardage once in a while. I was the Cleveland Browns - not your prototypical rushing team and I was still able to move the ball against the staunch Ravens defense. I find that in Madden 09 on the 360 is the luck of the draw if your lead blockers decide to actually attempt to carve you a path.

Even without all the bells and whistles of its big brother, the PSP Madden 09 really opened my eyes. It was fun, which I think should be the goal of any great sports game. Why aren't these things on the other consoles?
1.) Defensive camera angles behind the user does sound like a good
idea, but how would this work in multi-play/cooperative modes?
It could be an option when playing against the CPU.
2.) I'm sure the PSP versions of Madden are using the old recordings
from John Madden and Al Michaels that were also used on the
Xbox/PS2.
3.) The running game has been terrible on next-gen Maddens and
hopefully is better this year (I think it will) and is similar to the
running game still present in the Xbox/PS2.

Conclusion:
Defensive camera angles behind the user seem very unlikely to make it into Madden 10 on the Xbox 360/PS3. Tom Hammond (finally) recorded commentary together with Cris Collinsworth and the Madden team said that he sounded a lot better. That can only accurately be judged by the consumer base though. Madden 10's slower game speed might help the running game considerably by opening up the holes for the running back along with Pro-Tak and Procedural Awareness providing realistic blocks. So far this year's Madden look great, and the verdict will be out on August 14, 2009. Hopefully E3 shows some promise!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

PSP Madden's have been nothing but roster updates over the past 3 years, with 1 or 2 gimmicks tossed in for measure.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Maybe I need to get myself a psp and try out madden on it. Never did care for a handheld console device. But this makes me want to go buy and try it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Maybe I need to get myself a psp and try out madden on it. Never did care for a handheld console device. But this makes me want to go buy and try it out.
don't. the psp maddens are terrible, i hate them. and people actually liked the defensive camera???? i hated it!
-The Rangers will............have better luck nest year

looking forward to this projected masterpiece known Madden 10 (M10)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »