Home

Time to put things into perspective (long post)...

This is a discussion on Time to put things into perspective (long post)... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #33
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Time to put things into perspective (long post)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I think the Extra Point let a lot of people down here. They basically expected highlights with solid commentary. That's not an unreasonable expectation.

The highlights themselves look fantastic, you couldn't ask for better angles. But the commentary is bad and that's just the truth. I don't fault anyone for being let down. I was pumped up for it too, but the commentary (or lack thereof) was too awful to find a positive in it.

I know Ian worked on a lot of things for presentation with camera angles and stat banners. He did a great job there and there is no denying that. We can all see it for ourselves.

Unless something changed, he didn't code or record the audio, so If I were him I'd be very angry with the people in charge of audio and scripting. There is no way a person could listen to that and find anything good about it other than... I don't know... it was spoken in a English?
Yeah I agree.

But honestly I remember early vids of madden 09 when the commentary was worse than it was it the final game and I personally think that it's the same in this case.

Also, did EA ever call the extra point an actual highlight show or was the people in here doing it (by misinterpreting it)?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #34
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44

Same for you, I see your point, but you gotta look at the big picture here. My dad didnt have computers, and if, when I was in HS, my computer didnt work as anticipated and say only half the screen worked, he wouldnt drop it like "when I was a kid I didnt have a computer" he would say, wtf is wrong with that company releasing a garbage product...
Yeah, I'm not saying that people can't say the problems of the game, but when you BASH the game, it gets ridiculous and in most cases it gets you nowhere...

Last edited by Bgamer90; 06-03-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Yeah I agree.

But honestly I remember early vids of madden 09 when the commentary was worse than it was it the final game and I personally think that it's the same in this case.
Yeah, but the difference is that we were getting builds in May, not in June just about 3 weeks before the game closes. This is where I think people are more concerned now than they were a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Also, did EA ever call the extra point an actual highlight show or was the people in here doing it (by misinterpreting it)?
The Extra Point in-game is a highlight show... I think most people assumed it would have commentary, too. And it does, just not much and nothing play-by-play. The audio quality is just not there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 21

I've also been playing football since the Atari days, but I'm on the other side of the spectrum.

These guys (EA) took away our choice in football games, and to this point have completely underdelivered. Last year, they talked about adding in-game saves and multiple camera angles in a patch or DLC and those never came.

This year, they've made some improvements but still have delivered a lousy half-time show, no in-game saves, very few camera choices, and now they're unhappy that not all of us are falling over ourselves with praise.

Take our complaints as motivation to make a better game. It's a tough world out there. If my employer doesn't like my work, I'll get fired. As paying customers, we're these guys employers in a sense. They've done some things right, and other things they completely dropped the ball on. Other developers have delivered quality sports games (The Show, NBA 2k, NHL 09, FIFA, NFL 2k). Time for the Tiburon crew (particular the NCAA guys) to step it up.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 7

OP, I know what you're getting at here and while it's admirable that you're trying to stick up for the poor defenseless dev team, the reality of the situation is that Madden 10 is not the first of it's kind. It's not even close. EA has had decades to get this game figured out; its not like we're jumping from Tecmo Super Bowl to Madden 10. Every year there are expectations, and when they are consistently not met, it leads to frustration because every year the DEVs are the ones making promises they can't keep.

All that being said, I appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into this years game. Its not going to be perfect; not by a long shot. I'm of the viewpoint that if you can't do something right, then don't do it at all until you have it figured out. Case in point? The presentation for this year. I didn't think it would be possible to find somebody else who can make Tom Hammond sound like a broadcasting genius, but I guess they found it in Alex Flannigan. You can't tell me that nobody in the dev studio didn't notice that their audio commentary was lacking and downright laughable. What I'm tired of is getting half-assed attempts at fixing long standing issues that this franchise has suffered from for years.

Kudos to Ian and co. for putting a foot in the right direction; no doubt about that. But, I certainly don't feel sorry for his supposed "plight" he is facing. As it turns out, developing the only NFL-Liscenced football game can be a bit of a challenge; deal with it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #38
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

In game saves are confirmed to not be in?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 18

you know, the guy is here asking us for advice on the game....did ortiz ever do that????? nooooo. Ian has listened to us and put everything in the game that would "work" correctly.

the key word is work. Ian has stated about things that could be put in because of ramifications to the core of the game. Go look ate the video from IGN( texans vs Colts) and tell me this game isn"t 10 times better than last years madden.

Put it into perspective and lay off the ignorant and reduntant comments.

in perfect perspective , give the guy some respect..............at least he has earned it.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #40
MVP

SteelerSpartan's Arena

OVR: 20

Oh and Id also like to point out that Im still extremely happy that Ian is in charge of this rodeo

My CFB Teams:
Marshall..WVU-Go Herd/Eeers!!!

Last edited by SteelerSpartan; 06-03-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »