Home

Coverage Issues That Must Be Resolved (Video)

This is a discussion on Coverage Issues That Must Be Resolved (Video) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Coverage Issues That Must Be Resolved (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
How many cutups of football games have you watched? Do you have game film sitting around your house? You can't see DB play from the TV broadcast.

How is it I sat in a clinic with Chuck Martin-Head Coach of GVSU (One of the most successful college programs of the country) and he went on a 15 minute spiel about getting your "****head D-backs to quit watching the f*ckingball and stopping their f*cking feet" (That's a quote).

They stop in coverage. Indecision leads to hesistation. Hesitation leads to slowing down and stopping. It happens. I have the film to prove it (and no, I'm not posting film pointing out the flaws of my players. I'm not posting film blasting opponents. They have youtube as well).

The reality is you showed a video of an 8 yard out against a cover 2 defense as proof of bad coverage. That route is supposed to beat that coverage and the defenders involved acted pretty close to how they should have. Was it perfect, no.

The worst part is, there are tons of issues with the coverage logic in this game. You picked one of the worst examples you could have chosen. You don't understand the coverage you called and immediatley blamed the game.
Are you trying to say that the clip posted is... somewhat realistic??

Are we watching the same clip here?

You can name drop coaches all you want, but if you can't see there is something seriously messed up with 90% of what's going on in that video, you should stop attending coaching meetings immediately for the sake of anyone who has ever played the football.

The receiver was 10 yards in the clear, and instead of 'good coverage' which you seem to think it was, they reacted with SUPERHUMAN abilities (show me your game film) to defend the pass.

Video games are never going to be perfect, but what was shown in that video is unacceptable and frustrating.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
You added nothing to the conversation other than possibly getting a thread locked because you cant speak like the educated person you claim to be.

I could care less who you are what you do or what game tape you have seen. Mainly because its the internet and you can make up whatever lame information about yourself you like. Its safe to assume your a coach since your claiming "your players" and the fear of "blasting opponents".

Since my example was so poor, please take some of your time to make a better one or add something constructive and free of vulgarity to the conversation. Its not hard to be civil.

You think all college players have the skill set to play in the NFL? Of course your going to see players make mistakes in college, its expected. Once your in the NFL, you are a professional athlete and the margin for error is gone. Whatever you heard a college coach tell you at a clinic you attended is not relevant, no matter who you claim to be, sorry.

Finally, before you sit here and tell me I don't know whats going on, maybe you need to watch the whole video or something. I didn't call the coverage, I was playing as the offense.
What are you talking about? Where was I vulgar, other than using a quote that wasn't directed at you. You're previous response ended "civil" discussion.

Are you arguing that NFL players don't make mistakes? If not, then what was the point of your 4th paragraph? And, if nothing Chuck Martin says is relevant to the NFL, certainly nothing you have to say is.

I would be happy to make a video, if I had a digital camcorder and still owned the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
Are you trying to say that the clip posted is... somewhat realistic??

Are we watching the same clip here?

You can name drop coaches all you want, but if you can't see there is something seriously messed up with 90% of what's going on in that video, you should stop attending coaching meetings immediately for the sake of anyone who has ever played the football.

The receiver was 10 yards in the clear, and instead of 'good coverage' which you seem to think it was, they reacted with SUPERHUMAN abilities (show me your game film) to defend the pass.

Video games are never going to be perfect, but what was shown in that video is unacceptable and frustrating.
The receiver ran a pattern right into the hole in the zone. Should he NOT be open? Should the proper playcall not be rewarded? The coverage wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. It was pretty much what should happen in that scenario.

The superhuman ability is an entirley different issue then coverage logic. The pass should have been completed and the warp-jump is a huge issue.

Again, the "hole" in a cover 2 zone is an intermediate out. The route called as an intermediate out. What exactly should happen?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #59
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
What are you talking about? Where was I vulgar, other than using a quote that wasn't directed at you. You're previous response ended "civil" discussion.

Are you arguing that NFL players don't make mistakes? If not, then what was the point of your 4th paragraph? And, if nothing Chuck Martin says is relevant to the NFL, certainly nothing you have to say is.

I would be happy to make a video, if I had a digital camcorder and still owned the game.
Your the one who came in throwing around quotes that are meaningless because lack any citation and context.

If your going to talk like your a coach (not the 22 year old, 5'6 185lb Lions fan you are) then prove to us you really are coaching. You don't need to show super secret game tape to do that. Don't just talk to make people assume things about you. As I said, its the internet behind keyboards you can pretend to be as important as you want.

College systems may feed the NFL but certainly not all college players and coaches are not capable (mentally, physically or personally) to play in the NFL.

Players that make mental mistakes in the NFL generally get exploited and replaced, if they make it out of training camp. In contrast a college player who makes mental mistakes can generally make up for it with sheer physical ability against less than elite athletes.

If you want to break this down to simply DB's, your average starting DB in college is going to line up against a NFL caliber WR maybe 2 times a season.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
Rookie

Quote:
Your the one who came in throwing around quotes that are meaningless because lack any citation and context.

If your going to talk like your a coach (not the 22 year old, 5'6 185lb Lions fan you are) then prove to us you really are coaching. You don't need to show super secret game tape to do that. Don't just talk to make people assume things about you. As I said, its the internet behind keyboards you can pretend to be as important as you want.

College systems may feed the NFL but certainly not all college players and coaches are not capable (mentally, physically or personally) to play in the NFL.

Players that make mental mistakes in the NFL generally get exploited and replaced, if they make it out of training camp. In contrast a college player who makes mental mistakes can generally make up for it with sheer physical ability against less than elite athletes.

If you want to break this down to simply DB's, your average starting DB in college is going to line up against a NFL caliber WR maybe 2 times a season.
What does this jumble even mean? Besides the attack on my character you mention that college DBs aren't as good as NFL Db's (really? Are you sure) and apparently if an NFL player makes a mistake he gets cut.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with DB logic. You threw the perfect pass against the coverage being played, and you're complaining its open.

And yes, you caught me. I don't coach football. I just know pretend to, on an internet message board to debate some video. I, being a lifeless loser, have nothing better to do than read dry, boring, coaching books just so I can argue with a random kid about a youtube video he made.

I'm so ashamed.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #61
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

haha...your voice sounds like just a radio sports jockey (compliment btw)

IMO the play just showcases horrible logic, unreal physics, and just plain bad AI.

From the 2 players mirroring each other for a while, to the WR running out of bounds and trying to come back in, to the DB (Griffin) swatting the ball down without even looking and the a split second later hit sticking the WR (which btw would never happen. I've never seen a DB knock the ball away and then drill someone like that).

My only suggestion for this video and all video breakdowns is to show the play in full speed once. Sometimes it's beneficial to see the play in full speed.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 21

Im at a loss for words in explaining to you the differences between a college and professional athlete. It should really go unexplained. Im not saying college players don't have skills, Im simply saying the NFL is only for the elite. Certainly a DB in college doesn't see the same caliber of WR (on a game to game basis) that they he will in the NFL.

Yes, for the most part NFL players who tend to make mistakes, personal or on field, have a very short playing tenure in the NFL. I suppose you need specifics. From a talent perspective guys like Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith. From a personal or character perspective guys like Rae Carruth or Lawrence Phillips.

You can down play it all you want (with or without sarcasm) you came into this post acting like your somebody you aren't. Eluding to clinics with coaches, film sessions and having game tapes you couldn't upload. Per you own admission you don't even on the game, yet your implying people didn't know what they were talking about. After 4 minutes worth of Google, I find you on Lions and Bodybuilding message boards. You can laugh at what I posted about you, but anybody can go see find its legit.

At the end of the day the movements and reactions in that video are unrealistic at best and physically impossible at worst. I don't care what self accredited football knowledge you claim to have. At 5'6 I don't see you having played much time at corner in your life.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 06-08-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 7

O'Bern!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #64
Rookie

Quote:
Im at a loss for words in explaining to you the differences between a college and professional athlete. It should really go unexplained. Im not saying college players don't have skills, Im simply saying the NFL is only for the elite. Certainly a DB in college doesn't see the same caliber of WR (on a game to game basis) that they he will in the NFL.

Yes, for the most part NFL players who tend to make mistakes, personal or on field, have a very short playing tenure in the NFL. I suppose you need specifics. From a talent perspective guys like Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith. From a personal or character perspective guys like Rae Carruth or Lawrence Phillips.

You can down play it all you want (with or without sarcasm) you came into this post acting like your somebody you aren't. Eluding to clinics with coaches, film sessions and having game tapes you couldn't upload. Per you own admission you don't even on the game, yet your implying people didn't know what they were talking about. After 4 minutes worth of Google, I find you on Lions and Bodybuilding message boards. You can laugh at what I posted about you, but anybody can go see find its legit.

At the end of the day the movements and reactions in that video are unrealistic at best and physically impossible at worst. I don't care what self accredited football knowledge you claim to have. At 5'6 I don't see you having played much time at corner in your life.
So you took the time to google me, and somehow, feel that is a putdown? Do you NOT look at other message boards? For the record, that google search wasn't very good. I also post at VSN, MM and a Detroit Tigers forum. I'm not sure what the purpose of your detective work was, you could have just asked.

And who did I pretend to be? I coach high school football. I attend coaching clinics. I have tapes on coverage techniques, magazine subscriptions and game film. What is make believe in any of that? Are you implying I don't coach football?

You assertion that NFL players don't make mistakes is very strange. You implying that there are 22 perfect players on the field at all times. Are you also saying that players don't miss tackles, because they are so superior physically it's impossible. Do they not get blocked, because they are so much better than college players they can't.

Defensive Backs stop their feet. Either they are out of position, or they are unsure of their responsibility. These issues are as much mental and coaching as they are physical (in fact, probably more so). Heres a quick example: MLB has deep middle (Tampa 2). He sees a WR run a drag under him, but he also see's the TE run a post. He isn't sure if he should jump the drag, or bail to the post (Perhaps the Post is the safeties responsibility). He hesistates and stops his feet.

Nice character attacks, they truly prove that you understand what you're talking about.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »