Home

Running Through Ref Issues

This is a discussion on Running Through Ref Issues within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 21
Running Through Ref Issues

Wondering if this is can be fixed because it seems very inconsistent. Bear in mind this is just analyzing 3 minute clips.

Its clear you can run though refs, but can the ball be thrown through them? Is it that sometimes a ref does interfere with plays but other times sometimes they don't?

Some examples of the inconsistency below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwqUH7tlkI
0:28 Second Mark. Returner goes right through the ref.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA1FWCC2aoI
0:37 Second Mark. Returner goes right through the ref.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8EPrEdzooQ
1:14 Mark. - The HB's route is defiantly altered by the presence of the ref.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4aA-132n1M
0:04 Second Mark - Same game as above, LB (in pursuit) runs through ref.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVSo7HTinMI
1:06 Mark - Same game as above 2. LB (strafing) runs through a ref after ref appears to jump out of the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA1FWCC2aoI
2:22 Mark - LB clearly has to alter his coverage because ref gets in his way. This lets the TE get wide open and the LB acts very confused after the pick. He does not try to get caught back up to the TE he was covering rather he moves around aimlessly. He seems to act that since he lost his assignment he has no clue what to do. EDIT - This may be because the QB scrabbles at the same instant the coverage breaks.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 06-10-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Running Through Ref Issues

Well it's part of the real nfl. But yea it can be worked on more to make the refs aware so thy can get out of the way more. But for now there is no time correct this. It's nothing big. It something all of us can live with.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Well it's part of the real nfl. But yea it can be worked on more to make the refs aware so thy can get out of the way more. But for now there is no time correct this. It's nothing big. It something all of us can live with.
Exactly! Atleast the ref's are in the game, maybe next year they can make it to where the players don't run through them.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 21

I agree its part of the real game, NFL refs get in the way of passes and players. It got to the point they have rules against WR pick plays.

I disagree that its not a big deal, because it needs to be consistent.

What would stop you a guy from running slants with a WR or sideline, look in, or delay routes with a TE knowing that 1 out of 3 times the ref will effect the coverage enough to allow a completion.

Its apparent just through my examples that sometimes they have no impact on a play, while other times they have profound ones (Altering routes / taking coverage away). All it would take is 2-3 instances where this costs you a game to leach the fun right out of it.

Something to ponder, as history has shown us. If ANY game releases with just the littlest most seemingly innocent issue people WILL find ways to exploit it.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 06-10-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Whatever happened to refs getting knocked over?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

IMO they should just get rid of the refs from the game. I don't see the point of them being in the game. It's not like their refereeing the game. In all honesty they're not even needed in real football with the technology available today.

I know a lot of people on here care for the atmosphere, presentation, socks, shoes and all the stuff 90% of the people who buy the game don't care for and that's cool with me. I do appreciate that input a lot of you guys give the Madden team and the fact that they implement a lot of the stuff is cool. At the same time if alot of this pointless stuff (my opinion) gets in the way of the gameplay (Ref's for example), what's the point of having a pretty game that's annoying to play?

They could have crappy graphics and if the gameplay was awesome I would love it. 99% of the people wouldn't care though, lol.

If the refs had actual AI that allowed them to referee the game, I can see the point of them being in the game. If they're just there to make the game look authentic but interfere with gameplay, I would prefer for them to be removed. If they have to be in the game for the 10%, I would prefer for them to not interfere and allow players to run thru them.

People will find ways to abuse this, and that would suck since it sound's like the gameplay is heading in the right direction..
Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMoesh
IMO they should just get rid of the refs from the game. I don't see the point of them being in the game. It's not like their refereeing the game. In all honesty they're not even needed in real football with the technology available today.

I know a lot of people on here care for the atmosphere, presentation, socks, shoes and all the stuff 90% of the people who buy the game don't care for and that's cool with me. I do appreciate that input a lot of you guys give the Madden team and the fact that they implement a lot of the stuff is cool. At the same time if alot of this pointless stuff (my opinion) gets in the way of the gameplay (Ref's for example), what's the point of having a pretty game that's annoying to play?

They could have crappy graphics and if the gameplay was awesome I would love it. 99% of the people wouldn't care though, lol.

If the refs had actual AI that allowed them to referee the game, I can see the point of them being in the game. If they're just there to make the game look authentic but interfere with gameplay, I would prefer for them to be removed. If they have to be in the game for the 10%, I would prefer for them to not interfere and allow players to run thru them.

People will find ways to abuse this, and that would suck since it sound's like the gameplay is heading in the right direction..
Refs being in the way is part of the *real* game, yo.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Referees seem like they were just thrown in for window dressing.

Kinda like the sidelines.

There's no interactivity - they're just there for cosmetics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »