Home

So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . .

This is a discussion on So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . . within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #17
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: So, we know they fixed how progression happens. . .

*sigh*

What do I do. If that post about cycles and progression is completely true i'm simply at a loss for words.

That entire system looks just lazy and terrible. It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What happened to the Madden 05 progression days?. Like i'm in serious doubts as to whether or not to buy this game because all i do is play franchise and if the progression is anything like it is in Madden 09 it will be a trade in game the very next day. So dissapointed in this.

*sigh*
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by achain
Sigh

That's such a crap system for progression its not even funny. Progression is one of the key elements of a fun franchise mode and it looks like EA is going to whiff again. Progression should certainly happen once during pre-season, and then once again mid-season, and then at the end of the season. It just makes sense to me anyway.

I agree with what Adem said about having speed and agility not increase at all for the most part. I'm blown away by the CPU's logic in how it assigns progression points... by deciding that Player A should be a 84 instead of a 79 and then just randomly picks where it wants the points to go? I'm sorry, but that is completely asinine. Instead, wouldn't it be a better idea to just increase the points in the ratings where it makes sense and letting the OVR fall wherever it may? I'm so tired of OVR ratings because I think the actual attributes of the player are more important, especially if they're a system player. I hope to God they fix this in the future.

Epic Sigh...

Franchise is all about player progression/regression.
Building a team to take you to the superbowl.

They need to take a hard long look at it for 2011. Franchise revamp is way over due and I'm not happy its taken a back seat to online franchise. Especially when online franchise doesn't have all the functions the underdone offline has.

I've got my fingers crossed Ian and co. have a few more announcements up their sleeves for us before release...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
Epic Sigh...

They need to take a hard long look at it for 2011. Franchise revamp is way over due and I'm not happy its taken a back seat to online franchise. Especially when online franchise doesn't have all the functions the underdone offline has.

I've got my fingers crossed Ian and co. have a few more announcements up their sleeves for us before release...
I am on my knees praising you....much agreed, thankyou
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
Progression should not be performance based. That kind of system needs to stick to MMO's.
Do you download updated rosters? If so, you are playing with performance based progression.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickywal
Epic Sigh...

Ian already announced that Franchise Mode (offline...the important one) didn't take a back seat. Looman simply decided to fix the basics so they could give us a good Franchise Mode for Madden 11.

Want depth? - Head Coach 09
Want to keep on wanting? - Madden 10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Progression

Finally we get to progression, easily one of the most often-discussed areas of Franchise mode in the community for Madden NFL 09. Donny Moore did a lot of good work with progression prior to my joining the team and I’ve been able to keep tweaking it since. Here are the major changes we’ve made so far:

• Older players will digress much faster. In fact, when a running back hits 30, he’s going downhill at warp speed.

• Younger players will progress quickly if they play well. We’re talking up 10 points in overall if he has a great year.

• Veteran players will still progress, but not substantially. They can also digress if they play poorly.

• We added more stat categories to determine a player’s success/failure for a season. For example, if you lead the league in rush TD’s but don’t do all that well in total rushing yards, you’ll still be able to progress accordingly. And it’s not just yards, and TD’s, it’s other stats like rushing attempts and rush yards per carry. This was done across the board for all positions.

• Removed age from ranking players. Some people may not know this but our previous progression systems would ranked each player statistically against players around the same age. Meaning that older players would only be ranked against other older players when determining how well they performed. This often created the situation where those older players never dropped even with sub-par years because other players in their ‘age group’ weren’t performing well either. Now, all players are ranked against all other players at that position, regardless of career phase.

The “potential” rating is another sort of ‘hidden’ addition that we are changing up this year to impact progression (and Franchise mode overall). Every player in the game has a potential rating that he cannot exceed (a la NFL Head Coach 09). This year, we’re actually exposing that rating so you’ll have an idea why your player is not progressing - typically a situation where his potential is maxed out. Exposing this rating also help quite a bit in making personnel decisions when contracts are up. One key detail here is that you’ll only see potential for players on your own team. CPU player potentials will be hidden.

Ok, guys…I’ve probably gone on long enough. Next time I’ll talk about trade logic, hall of fame logic, regular season free agency, salary cap tuning, coach boosts and tons of other franchise stuff.

- Josh Looman
Senior Designer, Madden NFL 10
It sounds like it will be OK.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Do you download updated rosters? If so, you are playing with performance based progression.
Real-Life Progression does not equal Video Game Progression.

Progression in the real world is a player getting better through hard work, intelligence, experience, coaching, and natural ability. Progression in video games should work similar to that and be based on a complicated math formula.

Updating rosters to reflect how good players are in real life is just that, updating a roster to reflect how good a player is in the NFL or any other sport that you would update rosters for. There is no progression in roster updates as they are static and will remain static until you take them into a dynamic environment such as (Online) Franchise.

If a player gets injured he should regress. If a player doesn't play much or starts getting old he should regress. On the field performance has no bearing over how much an athlete progresses because that fact is he was able to achieve that performance with his abilities. He doesn't rush for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns in a game and then magically get better Ball Carrying and Agility skills.

If performance based progression is such a good system then Offensive Linemen will never progress and only regress unless their progression system is very relaxed compared to that of a Halfback or Quarterback.

Any sports video game with performance based progression is just ludicrous. Do you really think Mike Shanahan's Denver Bronco's had All-Pro running backs in his zone blocking scheme? Or just an amazing offensive line that allowed a player to produce numbers that were products of the system? Was Alex Smith really that amazing of a Quarterback or just a product of the system?

Performance based progression isn't how it works in real life, and shouldn't be how it works in game.

Now if ratings become a scouts interpretation of the players skills and he overachieves the level that the scout rates him at, then I can see an increase in the scouts opinion on the player.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
Real-Life Progression does not equal Video Game Progression.
Thanks for agreeing with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »