Home

Why remove field lines from the playcall screen?

This is a discussion on Why remove field lines from the playcall screen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #73
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Why remove field lines from the playcall screen?

Honestly, I tend to hit the practice field and by the time I'm done, I pretty much know how all my routes are gonna be. For those that do that then yeah it might be a problem. Luckily for me, the Raiders are usually ranked pretty low so I have to hit the practice field to get my execution down. No room for mistakes when you're playing with the Raiders lol.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 7

I seriously couldn't get past the third page of this thread...

How in THE HELL do so many of you not care about knowing your wr's pattern length? This is CRUCIAL to good playcalling! It amazes me how many of you just look at a route and say"ooh oh a nice deep post, ill run that!"

There is absolutely NO reason not to have grid lines on our playcalling screen.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #75
MVP

OVR: 27

They just flew a bit too close to the sun with this one.

Total accuracy in placement of the mark would be nice, but I could settle for close-enough. With them not being there at all, it's just one more reason why I made very serious mention of the oversimplifying of the playcall screen presenting some problems down the road.

I do find it interesting and somewhat amusing that some of the same folks who said I was crazy are actually now seeing the issues as to why this was not the best idea. I think the Madden Wii team did the right thing by having a sort of customizable playcall situation so everyone would be happy. I find it disappointing that the Wii version would have this but the 360/PS3 version wouldn't, considering that you would think by default the Wii would have the simplistic version as the staple with no way to change anything, just because of the market they target.

The Madden 10 fact sheet talks about customization, and there will be some very strong parts of that this season, but there are still some little things they left on the table that make you wonder why it didn't get touched. Like the Breakaway cam not getting an on/off, the lack of weather options, no visual controls, no custom soundtracks (I'm not confirming, I'm just highly doubting), no on/off for that big red circle as it stands right now... football is a sport where meticulous detail has a high priority and it carries over into many facets. I want to see them fulfill their resolve to make Madden a more custom experience. Unless it happens in a patch, it won't be this season though. It doesn't kill the game, it just makes you have to hang another "work in progress" tag on something that had a lot more promise before reality hit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 26

Ive played madden for so long now I have more then a general idea of where my players are going to make their cuts and how deep each pattern is just by looking at it. Besides so much happens in one given play that making an "exact" cut or move at X amount of yards because the play says this is where you are supposed to go is kind of ridiculous.

I know players IRL have the amount of yards they are supposed to run before making their cut but you cant tell me that EVERY single play they will make their move at the exact same distance because their play they have practiced says do this. Some plays and routes change on the fly because of unforeseen events and I know if field lines were put in people would complain their WR wasnt running his route well compared to what is in the play being called.

That being said, I dont care if they were to add the field lines because they are of no use to me but it would be nice to add it for those who "need" it.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 8

They probably didn't remove it, they just haven't added them in yet since they rebuilt the play-call screen.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #78
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
^So in terms of weather options, they have the "weather channel" feed on lock?

You cant go in and change things like you could last year?
You can still change weather settings, they're just the same as 09, no improvements, no return to greater variation like we had prior to 09. Very disappointing.

I don't know how online weather is going to work, but I imagine the Weather Channel thing is still in for online stuff. But the Weather Channel feed was a broken concept last year. It was frequently wrong or simply not working. Or because weather has such a lack of variation in Madden now as opposed to 08 and other years before 09, you get something that doesn't match. I remember there was a snow game in NY in real life, but it was only light flurries, nothing stuck to the ground. There is no such thing in Madden now, so you got "snow" which looks like a blizzard.

You have to hope there was a good TECHNICAL reason for stripping weather down (no temp settings either since 09), but some of the things that get taken out of this game is absurd.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #79
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icomb1ne
They probably didn't remove it, they just haven't added them in yet since they rebuilt the play-call screen.
I'd be shocked by that.

Playcall is something that gets done rather early. I'd put good money on the screen we've been seeing all along being the final one. They've only got no more than 2 weeks or less to close as they game goes gold.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #80
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
I seriously couldn't get past the third page of this thread...

How in THE HELL do so many of you not care about knowing your wr's pattern length? This is CRUCIAL to good playcalling! It amazes me how many of you just look at a route and say"ooh oh a nice deep post, ill run that!"

There is absolutely NO reason not to have grid lines on our playcalling screen.
It's not about the route just "looking long enough" it's about *already knowing without needing a field line indicator*. As one plays the game more, it becomes obvious that one route is a 10yd out and another is a 5yd curl, or whatever the case may be. I can see how a new player would benefit from the lines on the play art - but a seasoned vet doesn't need them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »