Home

Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game

This is a discussion on Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 28
Re: Perfect Commentary in a Sports Game

My top games with the best annoucing:

1) NFL 2K series -- Those guys were the pioneers of great commentary. The first tandem that spoke between plays. Although it was a bit repetitive (what commentary isn't after you play a boat-load of games) it felt authentic. The kicker is that these guys were actors. I expect better from real announcers and these guys had all the pros by a mile...

2) MLB The Show -- The only thing that hurts this trio is that not much has changed in the past few years in terms of commentary. However, Matt Vasgersian does a great job and provides filler when needed.

3) NHL 2K - Now NHL 09 -- Gary Thorne and Bill Clement are classics. These guys could announce baseball and sound great

4) NCAA Series -- Again, another great trio that is judged on the lack of change each year. Again, they spit the facts and provide authenticity.

5) NBA Live and NBA 2K -- Both announcing teams do a great job without sounding robotic.

My least favorites:

1) Miller and Morgan were brutal in MLB 2K. Dry, uninspired, call it what you want, but I call it horrible.

2) Madden and Michaels -- This was one duo I had a ton of expectations for however Michaels had zero excitement in his voice. A touchdown was a ho-hum play. He sounded bored and that boredom carried over into the gameplay.

3) Madden 06 - 08 (Radio announcer guy was not good)

4) Madden 09 -- I don't mind Collinsworth (although he is annoying) but Hammonds voice is too robotic. Editing is not good.

5) SportsTalk announcer -- When Sega took its innovative ways in creating SportsTalk Baseball and Football, they should have left it alone. Although true play-by-play had yet to hit a console sports game, this was not something that I found "cool" or "amazing". It was grinding and brutal....
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #34
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Now I just wish Madden had Joe Buck.
Wow. Just wow. You must be deaf and/or self-righteous.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMan1486
Fifas commentary is amazing, I love it. Along with Mlb 2k9 which I only rented to hear the commentary (own the show and it's just lightyears ahead of 2k9).
Madden just needs more energy when it comes to commentary, and maybe have more voices then just the guys they got to switch it up a bit.
FIFA is one I missed. FIFA's is absolutely a top two or three game in terms of quality commentary....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Wow. Just wow. You must be deaf and/or self-righteous.
No doubt. Here's the bigger question though, how the hell did Joe Buck get his own show on HBO? Mind boggler.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #37
Pro

DreadedSteeler's Arena

OVR: 8

I always liked the commentary on NBA Inside Drive. If the color guy was rattling on about something, Kevin Callebro would interrupt when a big play happened, then after he was done he would say "sorry Kenny". It kept the commentary from getting behind.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Bowler
Another alternative is trying and expanding on what UFC 2009 did. They took live recorded commentay from real fights and pasted it into the game. MLB 2k9 is fantastic also.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

UFC 09 did a fine job.....they cut off their liners for what is happening during that exact moment.....taking into account that this is their first time ever making a UFC game, those devs did a damn good job......and it will only get better next year.

this is what most sports games should do....but it is easier with UFC games because Goldie and Joe Rogan 99% of the time work with each other...... the fact that they pasted previous live records makes the game sound more real when your in there fighting....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »