Home

Fixing the Defensive Ends

This is a discussion on Fixing the Defensive Ends within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Fixing the Defensive Ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Shouldn't have too... the DE should be making an effort to get to where the QB is going, not where he is.
I agree with this, but I think it is too late to change it. Like Bezo, I kinda wish this could be controlled via run pass commit. If you select run commit the DE's stay in the rush lane designed in the play. But if you select pass commit, I'd like to see them alter their rush lane. I don't think they have time for it, so it's gonna be left to our adjustment
Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Shouldn't have too... the DE should be making an effort to get to where the QB is going, not where he is.
Well, how are you going to implement that while still having all the pre-snap D line shifts and stunts? It also depends on if you're rushing someone outside of the DE. In this case you might not want an outside rush.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenLounge
I thought the pass rush was broken as well. The DEs are the ones that are supposed to create pressure, not the DTs. DEs create the pressure making the QB step up into the pocket where the DTs and the rest of the defense is at.
But let's not generalize about the DT's. When looking at Ian and Donny Panthers vs Raiders I didn't see much pressure by the DT's like the Ravens vs Bills in practice mode. So I don't think we can generalize there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 5

The OP is correct IMO of playing madden and noticing this is how some players play there gm based off of this mis hap wth the DE's.

Notice howa 3 man dline will be pinched and still get outside so fast and prcise that they never lose a step getting to the QB. No DE should be able to get out into a contaiment after being pinched up against a 5-6 man offensive line and still be capable of being effective to stop plays consistantly.

Now take what i have just given you and apply that with a 4-3 formation with the line piched. You still get the same outcome and its very annoying to have this happen a majority of the game when its intances where the DE should not have that big of an impact.

Line looping (Contain) is way over done in this game as long as the mario running animations still exist.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Bowler
Well, how are you going to implement that while still having all the pre-snap D line shifts and stunts? It also depends on if you're rushing someone outside of the DE. In this case you might not want an outside rush.
Branching AI. Players making reads, making decisions, reacting accordingly. I don't think Madden's AI makes on the fly adjustments very well right now, that's a good target for next season.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

It would be nice if we could get a short clip with the line split outside and a fan rush at the same time from the Qb behind center and from the shotgun.

If i'm reading this correctly though what the OP and some are suggesting is that the DE's are doing a slight animation to the inside everytime regardless because they're tracking the ball at all times from the C to Qb.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by icomb1ne
Quick question about real football....

Is there a difference between how bull rushers and speed rushers attack the tackles? Do speed rushers rush down field then engage while bull rushers engage right away or do they both rush down field first?
Speed rushers are taught to attack the outside shoulder of the blocker and usually have to rush at an angle..Actually the way i was taught with speed rushing is that you want to atack at an angle and initiate as little contact as possible..if you do initiate or it has to be quick with a swim or rip move employed..again at an angle..Bull rushing usually means the Blocker has gotten in front of you so you technically have to get lower and initiate contact under the blockers chest...knocking him off balance...In Madden the problem is that all rushers initiate contact and then i guess the ratings take over..it's rare to see a quick D-end in Madden just beat a Tackle on speed alone but in reality thats how speed rushers do it..Guys like Osi,Ware, Harison beat Tackles off the line with speed and first step explosion and when they enge it's quick...it's probably hard to get this in a videogame but it would definently differentiate between the elite rushers and the average rusher...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

The good news is, we're a step closer. This will be a vast improvement over last year. We're well on our way to some truly fluid football. As has been mentioned, Madden 2010 is about to go gold, and the time to fix bugs is closing. Yes, they can patch, but if the problem is too large for a patch, we'll have to wait.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »