Home

Little worried about the increase in bad throws.

This is a discussion on Little worried about the increase in bad throws. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Little worried about the increase in bad throws.

Im sorry but havent any of you ever thrown a football?? bad passes happen even if you have your feet set, a open receiver and no pressure... its just the way it is!! BUT since it is a videogame, people will begin to say that its the cpu cheating.. it just happens!

Its the same thing why they dont have botched snaps.. eeeverytime it would happen people would be angry at the cpu.

I mean, even the Romo fuimble a few years back in the playoffs, if it was a madden game, people would yell cpu cheat..

it just happens!! and I prefer that than 80% completion percentage!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I think as users, we've gotten a little spoiled with the perfect QBs. No other position is like this on the game. WRs drop random passes, RBs fumble at random times, CBs get burned at random times. DLs get pancaked at random times. But having QBs throw bad passes at random times is a problem?
... but none of those 'other' positions tend to be user-controlled as much as the QB. I'm OK with CPU-CBs getting burned. I'm OK with the CPU-DL getting pancaked. I'm even OK with the USER-RB fumbling at "random" times, but I should be able to limit it greatly by securing the ball (ie. holding the 'A' button before getting hit) or switching the ball to the correct hand (supposedly implemented in Backbreaker). And If I'm that burned CB or pancaked DL, it better be because 'I' didn't do something correct or my ratings made it THAT much harder to play that position correctly.

I just want to get to a point where as much 'randomness' is taken out within the confines of a video game experience (except for maybe penalties... can't think of another way to do these other than pretty much randomness)
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints21
Im sorry but havent any of you ever thrown a football?? bad passes happen even if you have your feet set, a open receiver and no pressure... its just the way it is!! BUT since it is a videogame, people will begin to say that its the cpu cheating.. it just happens!
.. pretty funny coming from 'Saints21'. I'm guessing you haven't seen the Drew Brees Sports Science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcQa5bu5Vs

... basically proves that if the mechanics are the same each time under the same circumstances, the results will be the same.

I understand it's a video game. I also realize there will be a hundred factors going into the pass (pressure, wind, qb ratings, whether his arm was injured recently... etc).

I just think we should be able to affect the pass more than in recent Madden and NCAA games. I think this alone will make more passes incomplete, but at least it will be our own fault.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Wolfpack, on your general principle (which is that you HATE control being taken away from the user), I could not agree with you more. That's the reason I'm a huge fan of Pro-Tak and have a lot of hope for this being a much more FUN version of Madden to play.

But while I share that concern, bad throws are something that have been sorely needed in this game, at least since the PS2 days (and probably earlier). It's one thing if we're talking about a 5 yard timing route sailing 15 yards downfield, but for some of the longer throws (particularly sideline throws and long bombs), there should absolutely be some inaccuracy from time to time.

Also, I would disagree in the user input concern from this standpoint: the QB in real life is not TRYING to make a bad throw. He just had something happen (wet ball, wind, pressure, bad read) that caused the throw to go somewhere other than where he planned. From that standpoint, the "input" for Peyton Manning should be the same as it is for Tarvaris Jackson. The difference is that we should see a significant difference in the result of that input between those two quartbacks over time, and I don't feel like we do.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #21

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack
.. pretty funny coming from 'Saints21'. I'm guessing you haven't seen the Drew Brees Sports Science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcQa5bu5Vs

... basically proves that if the mechanics are the same each time under the same circumstances, the results will be the same.

I understand it's a video game. I also realize there will be a hundred factors going into the pass (pressure, wind, qb ratings, whether his arm was injured recently... etc).

I just think we should be able to affect the pass more than in recent Madden and NCAA games. I think this alone will make more passes incomplete, but at least it will be our own fault.

I've seen it but there is a big difference between an elite, top 3 NFL QB throwing passes in shorts through a bulls eye and average QBs in an NFL football game throwing passes to wide receivers.

Even Brees in a real game misses targets, albeit at a lesser rate...hence the ratings scale and why he is rated at a 97.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

MAN I PLAY QB

and it exactly like you said, its called muscle memmory.. but guess what!! sometimes your brain missfires and you dont do exactly the same thing!!

Basketball players miss FT right?? WHICH THEY SHOULD NOT on account they have practice it a million times!!!!

The brain is a funny thing!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Threads like this make coming here worthwhile. The one thing that bugged the snot out of me, in '09, was that a pass was incomplete only if it was swatted, it was dropped, or if it was intercepted.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 9

Wolfpack, from what you are saying once you master the controls on the game you would not throw interceptions, you would not ever fumble, you would not ever drop a reception, you would not ever miss a tackle, all your passes would be completions, etc.

That is not how football is played. Every team and every player has strengths and weaknesses. The game is more chess than darts if that make sense to you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »