Home

Why is it told to us before the play if the offense will be in Wildcat?

This is a discussion on Why is it told to us before the play if the offense will be in Wildcat? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Why is it told to us before the play if the offense will be in Wildcat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
Why? Because in Madden, it isn't that clear when you are playing D, who's who on the field, unless you can clearly see the numbers. By then its a bit late, and also there is the "extra" accelerated clock this year, so less time at the line to make adjustments.

Whereas on the field, the D play adjuster is going to call "Wildcat" the second he sees the HB back there, if the "man in the box upstairs", hasn't screamed it in his ear first...

And is everyone forgetting audibles? If you want a true wildcat feel, come out in standard formation, then audible to a wildcat....personally, I think the Wildcat is a fad, and we'll see it less this year. I may be completely wrong though, so don't quote me
Isn't telling the user what formation the offence is in the video game equivalent of the "man upstairs"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I agree. This isn't the new shotgun.
Nope, it's based on the single wing, which is a lot older than the shotgun.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #50
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyghtWork
No the wildcat got slowed down,cuz no one respected the pass from it. If ronnie could throw, like dmac did in college. The d couldnt put 9 in the box to stop the run. With 9 in the box miami still avg over 4 yards per rush. If thats not successful, ill still take everyday of the week.
You're right, but it wasn't just Miami's wildcat that was slowed down. It was the entire league's wildcat. The league had time to adjust to it. There was no more surprise to it. I'm assuming it's gonna be slowed down even more this year when the season starts. We'll see though.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Yes, it was a surprise the first time they played. I think that was more because it was a new formation than it being the wildcat. The second time they played the wildcat was not nearly as successful. The wildcat was highly successful at the beginning of the year for a lot of teams, as it should be because it was a new formation. As the year went on the wildcat was not nearly as successful. This is because there was no more element of surprise. The surprise at the beginning of the year was the formation itself. Towards the end of the year, no one was being surprised by wildcat anymore.
Have to totally agree with that (my turn to quote you )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyghtWork
No the wildcat got slowed down,cuz no one respected the pass from it. If ronnie could throw, like dmac did in college. The d couldnt put 9 in the box to stop the run. With 9 in the box miami still avg over 4 yards per rush. If thats not successful, ill still take everyday of the week.
Have to disagree with this a little. As an insane Jets fan (who didn't miss a play be it pre season whatever last year), we ran the Wildcat quite a bit mostly with Brad Smith at QB, who really can throw and also run a bit too (he may yet start as No2 WR this year). Here's his 2008 stats:- Brad Smith. You can see it got popular mid season, then tailed off almost completely. Can't totally comment for the Dolphins though, as I only saw them twice last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Isn't telling the user what formation the offence is in the video game equivalent of the "man upstairs"?

Can't disagree with that.

Nope, it's based on the single wing, which is a lot older than the shotgun.
I'm pretty sure he meant that it isn't here to stay. The shotgun was also a novelty once, but it was an incisive innovation that became adopted as standard (except the Skins...was that just because of The Gibbs-Landry rivalry?)

EDIT: Oh my word, someone needs to edit the wiki article on the Shotgun formation, from the article:-
Quote:
In recent years, fewer and fewer teams use the shotgun since the two-deep (or Tampa 2) zones allow effective defense against offenses that don't or can't run the ball. Most NFL teams only use the shotgun on obvious passing downs or when they are behind and need to pass almost every down to catch up
What utter bs.

Last edited by DrewBledsoe; 06-17-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #53
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
I'm pretty sure he meant that it isn't here to stay. The shotgun was also a novelty once, but it was an incisive innovation that became adopted as standard (except the Skins...was that just because of The Gibbs-Landry rivalry?)
This is exactly what I meant.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
You're right, but it wasn't just Miami's wildcat that was slowed down. It was the entire league's wildcat. The league had time to adjust to it. There was no more surprise to it. I'm assuming it's gonna be slowed down even more this year when the season starts. We'll see though.
The same thing goes for the offense. Now that they see it can work, they are working on more way to beat a defense with it. By that alone will help the offense. If a defense has to work and stop it, less time to try and stop the base offense. From what im seeing from the OTA's, alot more teams is, going to run it this season.

A team can run it 1 time, and have the defense looking for it the rest of the game. Thats why i dont get it, why they put it in the playcalling screen. It take that away from the offense, cuz you know when its coming,

DrewBledsoe

I think the Jets gave up on it to fast. They never really worked on adding, anything new to it. Jets could have done alot more with it if they wanted too. Can you see Jones, and washington running it, with that oline? Man Oh Man
They would be better then, what miami could do with it. Reason miami went to it cuz the oline wasnt getting any push.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #55
Rookie

thenextqb19's Arena

OVR: 3

Heck I like the way NCAA has it when they use no QB formations. For the AI its not often but when it does happen it feels like a breath of fresh air. Against human its a bit different but the Florida playbook with percy at QB was dangerous if you didnt know that it was going to come 20+ times a game lol.
Golden State Warriors
Washington Redskins
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 25

I feel that EA knows the cheddar potential, and there will be cheddar from this formation, they give you a "heads-up" as to when it is coming and they give you the chance to prepare.

BALANCE. Thats is just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »