Home

Is Ian and his team on a whole other level then other sports game designers?

This is a discussion on Is Ian and his team on a whole other level then other sports game designers? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Is Ian and his team on a whole other level then other game designers?

I'd say from what we've seen they'd probably crack top 10 in next-gen gaming for this year.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 12

Saying they are better than NCAA team is not saying much. Period end of story.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #51

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Actually I just play a mod on TV.
I think you would better for radio.

J/k my man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 26

Will this become sticky and be the official developers appreciation thread? With as many of them popping up I am surprised they didnt make one official one to stop from having to close 20 threads a day.

On topic...This dev team has done more for the game on paper then any of team has done since the game went to next gen. If I remember right 06 did not even have a franchise mode.(This team was able to fix a lot of logic issues in offline franchise and make most of online franchise and improve the game) in the same time given to years past. I give them two thumbs up for the increase in content in general. Still dont know what to think about the game though because I have yet to play it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #53
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I was watching the videos of NCAA 10 today with a buddy, and he made a great point. After seeing the Madden vids then the NCAA vids he asked me if the same guys designed both games. When I told him they were two different teams he said well the Madden guys must be on another level because it looks much better than NCAA.

This made me think that with all the improvements that Ian and his team were able to get into the game in less than a one year cycle, and the fact that NCAA looks like the improvements are marginal, that Ian and his team must be some of the most talented guys working on videogames today.

A lot of people feel like the old dev team was lazy and didn't care, maybe these guys are just that much better.

Just thinking out loud I suppose.
Watching the NCAA video just a few minutes ago really made me appreciate the animations on Madden. Now I'm still sticking with my initial feelings on the animations, but man NCAA's animations are HORRIBLE.

The good thing is that the Madden team acts on our ideas and suggestions, so the animations on Madden will eventually get better.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
I was watching the videos of NCAA 10 today with a buddy, and he made a great point. After seeing the Madden vids then the NCAA vids he asked me if the same guys designed both games. When I told him they were two different teams he said well the Madden guys must be on another level because it looks much better than NCAA.

This made me think that with all the improvements that Ian and his team were able to get into the game in less than a one year cycle, and the fact that NCAA looks like the improvements are marginal, that Ian and his team must be some of the most talented guys working on videogames today.

A lot of people feel like the old dev team was lazy and didn't care, maybe these guys are just that much better.

Just thinking out loud I suppose.
Yeah, it does look that way. If you look at madden 10 videos you see refs in the game and just better looking game play. Ncaa 10 looks just like the same old thing. It looks like madden 09, but in college uniforms, but ncaa always seemed to be a step behind madden to me. So good job Ian and staff the madden nation see a different.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I'm not sure if the OP intended this question in a global sense for all sports games, or simply as a comparative question within football gaming titles alone.

If it's global, then no. The Show is the standard setter (I don't play PES, so I can't speak to that), and the devs for that game have got to get the nod.

The good thing for Madden is that Ian recognizes that The Show is the bar and that Madden has a long way to go to get there. That tells me he gets it and has his priorities right. The trick will be to see just what they can do with what they've inherited.

If we're talking football, I'd still say the devs behind the 2k series are the best in terms of talent. There are a bunch of us APF fans who are dying to like Madden again, but we're still seeing lots of fundamental football things that are in APF that Madden isn't getting right yet. The good news for us is that this year looks to be a huge improvement over recent years, and will probably be enough to make the game resemble the sport again. I think a lot of APF heads will take Madden on this year, largely because of Ian's work.

I think this Madden dev team deserves lots of credit for having a great set of priorities and tremendous drive. It takes will and patience to take on this game, this community, and try to move both forward.

That said, the final product has to be judged before anyone gets any awards. And the track record has to be established. The Show has been going for a bit now, and they're going to be tough to dethrone. To put it in Jay-Z terminology, right now Madden devs are trying to beat the block, but The Show devs be the block.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #56
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
Addressing the thread title. Yes, they are much better than the NCAA team. However the title says "other game designers." So if we are including other games, not just EA Sports football games, then I have to say the MLB The Show devs are still miles ahead of everyone. No other sports game comes close to them in representing their sport with authenticity and gameplay. There are good dev teams out there, but hands down they are the best IMO.
Precisely. With all of the hype the game got before it was released, it pretty much met those expectations (except for the idiots who still claim comeback code ) in the finished product. Kudos are in store for Madden, as it looks like I'll actually buy it for the first time since '05, but I'll wait until it actually comes out to give 'em.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »