Home

when is realism TOO real?

This is a discussion on when is realism TOO real? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #33
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: when is realism TOO real?

I think realism necessarily comes at the cost of user control. I don't see how you can have total realism in a computer with a variable element (user) that has little to no predictability.

Thus, the game becomes TOO realistic when the user has too little control. (Animations take over etc.)
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Exactly, madden has been too easy IMO. I'm not the kind of guy who has fun by being able to win 59-7 everygame and trading for everysuperstar. I'd love a game of madden where you have to work hard and earn a superbowl. After all how fun is it when you can win the superbowl in the first year of a franchise. That kinda defeats the entire purpose of the franchise mode imo.
Unfortuneately for you, you are in a very small minority. Most gamers, casual or not, want to to win. Games are about winning and losing, and most people will take winning over realism. It's just the way it is.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #35
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown88
I will reach the glory of the playoffs and maybe evantual Superbowl after a few years of smart drafting and personnel decisions.
No offense meant Pbrown but, in Madden yes. But Imo, not so much the case in real life NFL.

Just a few examples...

No Super Bowl birth in years...
Vikings-32 years
Chiefs-39 years
Jets-40 years
Browns-never
Lions never, etc...

I'm just doubting this is the reality most gamers are really looking for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #36
Puck Dynasty

soxnut1018's Arena

OVR: 8

Realism is too real when you get a groin injury just by playing the game.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #37
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Just play MB the show.

This game is so real that players are still trying to figure out how to hit. To some of them I can see them feeling that the game is to real. I love the game for what it has done with the hitting.

That game is simply awesome, Not perfect but very close to it.

In reference to madden I would never feel your statement "when realism is to real"
I would welcome that day .
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #38
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubz
Unfortuneately for you, you are in a very small minority. Most gamers, casual or not, want to to win. Games are about winning and losing, and most people will take winning over realism. It's just the way it is.
You are right with your statement. The Majority do feel that way.

I would also consider myself in that small minority of palyers that want the game to be very real. That explains why I loved the vision cone ,fast game speed, and most of the gameplay features from last gen Madden. I want it as real as it gets.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k10
OP you dont have to name ALL your gripes, but im curious as to what suggestions youve seen that made you make this thread?
Well I kinda alluded to it in my original post. But some of the requests that I've seen border along the lines of people wanting realism at the cost of control.

I've read some of the posts here, and I understand where everyone is coming from, but I remember when people said Mike Vick was nerfed because the user could make him be accurate even though he had a small vision cone and low accuracy ratings. I dont play with QB's like this, but if the user can learn to play with the guy and be accurate then the game shouldnt regulate his passes by making them errant based on his ratings even if you make an accurate pass.

Now Im not saying this doesnt happen in real life, but I dont want the game to take control over what I do.

One gripe I've always had as well is the whole "smart QB, LB" etc. stuff that allows people to see plays. I think if the user cant read the play then the computer shouldnt help him just because he picked Peyton Manning.

I have more to say but I'll state things as the conversation goes.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #40
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is why we will always need sliders in this game because most people probably do feel this way, developers know it and program the game accordingly. Much to the chagrin of a lot of us here on OS.

Having to "work" really hard to win it all, and maybe never succeeding, IMO, is what make the game fun. That kind of realism is what I crave in every sports game.
Yep. I also believe the game is programmed for the User to succeed in short order. And I think it's overall worked very well for EA.

We maybe cut from the same cloth. My current record in my NHL dynasty is 7-32-4. And I'm loving it. The great thing is I don't feel cheated...I just know I stink at the hockey game. I really have my doubts about winning the Cup anytime soon, if ever. But if I ever do....satisfaction!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »