Home

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Cover 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
Ok you tought me a few things about the Tampa 2 that I really didnt know and I am grateful becuz my school runs more of a pure rotating base cover 3 and regular cover 2..

But you said that the Tampa 2 isnt made to stop the short stuff.. But in madden it is. To indicate that the play is diff from a reg cover 2 the play makers in madden need to have the CBs in purple zones as a default IMO.....Do you agree????? I think this solves alot of the issue

In madden the Tampa 2 is "almost" as lock down as it gets on the short stuff....That is why I am arguing that it shouldnt be able to stop the deep stuff as well. Do you guys understand where im coming from? Becuz it is to much to ask an offense to go vs a play that would be just about unstoppable in madden
I get where you are coming from, I have the whole time. The purple zone thing would be perfect if when he was sitting in his unoccupied zone he would drop down to the flat if he saw something there. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do that and it wouldn't make the D crazy good.

As for how to beat it, it wouldn't be as hard as you think. All you'd have to do is a flat corner streak combo and one of them has to be open. If the corner takes the flat hit the corner. If the corner takes the corner hit the flat. If the corner takes the flat and the safety takes the corner hit the streak. Bye, bye base cover 2

Last edited by Cutler2Hester23; 07-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnEyedBanditTN
Actually, the way Cover 2 was taught to us in college (see my signature) was this... all reads were made off of the #2 receiver to your side (slot, TE, RB, etc.). To make this illustration "easier", I will use the 4 WR, 1 RB set (inside WR #2 outside #1). If the #2 runs any vertical route, the CB takes #1 man to man. There are holes on the outside between the CB and S... the smash route was designed to exploit it. Smash (#1 runs a hitch #2 runs a corner). I am a Bears fan, so I am extremely familiar with their version of the Tampa 2. I also am a UT Vols fan and have seen Monte Kiffin up close teaching the defense as well.
Thats exactly how we run it at my school. Thats also how the run it in the pros. I'm not asking for reads and keys to be in Madden but I just want a stop gap representation of this. If they put a new zone type exclusive to the cover 2 that allowed the corner to break down into the flat if a threat was there but if not play a curl to flat (purple zone) then I would be happy. It would be close enough to what it is in real life so if Ian could do that I would be pumped. I don't think it would take all that much to do but I am open to being proven wrong.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
Rookie

Does anyone know how I would go about getting this noticed by Ian and the dev team? Or at least get them to shoot it down because its not popular enough? I really want to know if this can be put into the game this year or not. It feels like time is running out on any possibility.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #28
Rookie

I just had a great idea to make this work. What if they added a new zone that was shaped like a capital "L" (flipped if its on the right) that fit itself right on the sideline. It would be thin but allow the defender to cover the sideline and the flat but because it is pressed against the sideline and so thin it would leave the quick slant open just like the real cover 2 does. This would also open up the smash like someone else mentioned because the corner would sit on the hitch and leave the corner open unless the safety can get over. The zone would go 5 yards in from the sideline and 10-12 yards up the sidline to simulate a real cover 2 corner's boundries. I made this one up myself, I think it is a pretty decent representation. As far as I can tell everything that should be open against the tampa 2 would be open here.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'm a Cowboys fan and they ususaly play a Cover 0. The CBs line up opposite the WR and run around a lot and wave their arms in the air and the Safetys hangout and smoke... and I think I saw Roy Williams eatting a burger on a few plays last year. Why isnt this in the game?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnEyedBanditTN
Actually, the way Cover 2 was taught to us in college (see my signature) was this... all reads were made off of the #2 receiver to your side (slot, TE, RB, etc.). To make this illustration "easier", I will use the 4 WR, 1 RB set (inside WR #2 outside #1). If the #2 runs any vertical route, the CB takes #1 man to man. There are holes on the outside between the CB and S... the smash route was designed to exploit it. Smash (#1 runs a hitch #2 runs a corner). I am a Bears fan, so I am extremely familiar with their version of the Tampa 2. I also am a UT Vols fan and have seen Monte Kiffin up close teaching the defense as well.
this, it's exactly how the d is supposed to be played, in quads for example, which is 2 receivers on both sides, the safety reads the #2 receiver on the side, if he's vertical, even if it's a 10-15 yard square in the safety has him/the post too, if the number two receiver runs a short route, the safety plays over #1

the corner has a similar read, and read's the number 2 receiver, if he's vertical he has #1 man to man, if #2 runs a short route, he's supposed to jam the #1 receiver to slow him down, (the slight jam is not press coverage, it's just how it's supposed to be played)

cover 4 in madden/ncaa is totally botched, because you would be playing different coverages for both halves of the field, cover 4 the safety is force, which means he's run support, cover 2 the corners are the force player

for cover 3, the hook/curl safety is force, and the deep third safety can play run as well
Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #31
Banned

imho they need to do away with this type of play calling and stuff, and just have the corner's/safeties make real reads in the game and let the AI do the thinking, instead of having the corners just play flats/safeties play deep, when technically, that's not how the defense works at all, it's all about what the offensive players do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler2Hester23
I just had a great idea to make this work. What if they added a new zone that was shaped like a capital "L" (flipped if its on the right) that fit itself right on the sideline. It would be thin but allow the defender to cover the sideline and the flat but because it is pressed against the sideline and so thin it would leave the quick slant open just like the real cover 2 does. This would also open up the smash like someone else mentioned because the corner would sit on the hitch and leave the corner open unless the safety can get over. The zone would go 5 yards in from the sideline and 10-12 yards up the sidline to simulate a real cover 2 corner's boundries. I made this one up myself, I think it is a pretty decent representation. As far as I can tell everything that should be open against the tampa 2 would be open here.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #32
Banned

quite frankly, if they changed it to how it's really supposed to be played, alot of football fans would be confused because they won't know what the hell's going on

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »