Home

Is the 46 defense in the game?

This is a discussion on Is the 46 defense in the game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Is the 46 defense in the game?

There is a difference between the 4-6 and the 46. Namely the personal on the field at the time.

4-6 is a defense with 4 down linemen and 6 LBs.

46 is a formation of the 4-3 defense. The two CBs and the SS crowd the LOS. The FS stays in the backfield.

To prevent anyone else from going off about the 4-6...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I was pulling my info from the Head Coach 09 prima official guide's glossary. After further looking on the internet, I was unable to find any further info about it. It may very well not exist in conventional football as we know it but it may have been used in the earlier days.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 07-07-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Well I am almost sure if the browns are using this year then it should be in madden 10. But I am not titally sure. Only Ian are Donny can answer this.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
There is a difference between the 4-6 and the 46. Namely the personal on the field at the time.

4-6 is a defense with 4 down linemen and 6 LBs.

46 is a formation of the 4-3 defense. The two CBs and the SS crowd the LOS. The FS stays in the backfield.

Which are you asking for?
That formation doesn't exist; if the defense came on to the field without any corners, the offense would pass the ball every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 50

If for some reason a 4-6 exists, that's not a very smart formation. Not too many linebackers can effectively cover a wideout. Also, the only logical place to use a 4-6 would have to be at the goal line. Even at the goal line, playaction or rollouts would still be too effective.

If your not on the goal line, send your wide receivers on streaks and have a nice time.
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 12

You must be asking about the 46 Bear correct? Which is the one where the OLBs move over to the strong side of the formation and the DL shifts towards the weakside with the RDE paying the A Gap between the RG and Center. The defense is named 46 because that was the number worn by the Bears's Strong Safety Dough Flank who moved down from the SS position and played as an extra LB. The 46 Normal is just a 4-3 base formation with the SS playing on the Box as an extra LB without shifting any other players unlike the 46 Bear.

*Actual time may vary.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
That formation doesn't exist; if the defense came on to the field without any corners, the offense would pass the ball every time.
I was pulling my info from the Head Coach 09 prima official guide's glossary. After further looking on the internet, I was unable to find any further info about it. It may very well not exist in conventional football as we know it but it may have been used in the earlier days.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

4-6 is not 4 lineman and 6 lbs its a one high safety look where the SS is walked down and flanks the OLB. Also the interior lineman in the 4-6 play closer to the center than in a base defense. It may be in but it shouldn't since no team really runs this defense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Pro

DoubleDeuce's Arena

OVR: 6

does anybody in the league still run the buddy ryan 46? i guess his sons? it's called the 46 because some player on the bears back in the old days wore #46 and he was important.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »