Home

Seems like more and more are saying the same...

This is a discussion on Seems like more and more are saying the same... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Seems like more and more are saying the same...

Quote:
If I told you Michael Myers and Halloween have a lot in common with EA Sports NCAA Football, you’d probably tell me I was crazy.

However, at a closer glance, they are more alike than you may realize. Both series have resorted to the same philosophy of not straying too far off of the formula which worked to originally elevate each franchise. Unfortunately, that philosophy of sticking close to an established formula tends to have a limited lifespan before a series becomes stale, and NCAA Football is dangerously close to that point.

The approach to the NCAA Football series has been relatively the same since NCAA Football 99, with only incremental improvements each year building on top of the previous package. However, just as with Halloween, the core tenets of the series have remained the same to solid financial success. But just as with Halloween, the same act seems to be getting tired.

NCAA Football 10 isn’t a bad game by any means, but the game represents only a marginal upgrade over last year's title overall, which leaves you wondering if we'll ever see a truly great NCAA Football anytime soon.
-- From MMChris review of NCAA football 10

Remember the post titled "Is Madden getting STALE?" This is what many long time fans of these football titles are realizing, and are starting to voice. I agree 100% with this. Madden and NCAA are not TERRIBLE games, they just haven't changed much in many, many years. Do they tune, tweak, and add a feature every year, YES. Has the core game and gameplay stayed the same for many, many years? YES. Again, not saying the games are garbage, they have simply run their course. This is why we need an overhaul, a NEW experience.

Many of us feel like we've been playing the same game year in and year out. I bought new hardware at launch for a NEW experience. Just haven't gotten it yet. Like MMChris, i feel we may never get a new experience because Tiburon doesn't have incentive to give us anything really innovative, different, or new. Their sales are still off the charts, no need to sink any more development time or money into making a new and better game/engine/engines.

We won't see a new football gaming experience until sales significantly drop, or EA loses the license to let other developers get a crack at a licensed football game. Not bringing this up to spread negativity, i love Madden. But it hasn't changed much over the years, and all the pro-tak's, read n react's, weapon systems, or any other yearly catch phrase are going to change the CORE gameplay.

Last edited by REDRZA; 07-14-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Seems like more and more are saying the same...

You are making it sound as if you've played Madden 10.

You are forming your opinions on the game based on what? Videos from You tube? Blogs?

Lets wait until we play it until we make the claim it is stale.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You are making it sound as if you've played Madden 10.

You are forming your opinions on the game based on what? Videos from You tube? Blogs?

Lets wait until we play it until we make the claim it is stale.

kehlis, you are missing the point. We have all seen actual gameplay vids posted from the lead designer himself. We all know what's going to be in the game. You keep focusing on the digits after the name like Madden 10 is going to be a brand new game. If thats what you think, then you are misinformed.

Im not saying they haven't tuned or tweaked the game, im not saying they haven't added anything. What i am saying is that is all they do, ADD and TWEAK an existing game. Its the existing game that we have all been playing for a very long time.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

It's a computer game that attempts to replicate real life football. How much can it change???

It's limited by real world rules.

What exactly are you asking them to change? Would you like the ball to be on fire?? Players to have speed boosts?? Shower scenes??

The graphics certainly don't need to be changed.

The gameplay definately needs improving but from what i've seen from the blogs and videos, they seem well on their way.

Commentary and running animations need to be perfected but for me, neither is a game killer- i can't remember the last time i was running the ball on madden and half way through the run, i stopped and said that looks stupid, he doesn't run like that- i'm not playing anymore!
It's easy to see faults in things when you're just watching and not playing, let's wait to play the game before we ask for a revolution.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

09 was very stale for me, but based on the vids I've seen so far, 10 will blast 09 out of the water.

That's what I care about.

Maybe it's not enough for you, Red.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
Has the core game and gameplay stayed the same for many, many years? YES. Again, not saying the games are garbage, they have simply run their course. This is why we need an overhaul, a NEW experience.

Many of us feel like we've been playing the same game year in and year out. I bought new hardware at launch for a NEW experience. Just haven't gotten it yet. Like MMChris, i feel we may never get a new experience because Tiburon doesn't have incentive to give us anything really innovative, different, or new. Their sales are still off the charts, no need to sink any more development time or money into making a new and better game/engine/engines.

We won't see a new football gaming experience until sales significantly drop, or EA loses the license to let other developers get a crack at a licensed football game. Not bringing this up to spread negativity, i love Madden. But it hasn't changed much over the years, and all the pro-tak's, read n react's, weapon systems, or any other yearly catch phrase are going to change the CORE gameplay.
This is what I don't understand...did EA NOT overhaul the "engines" when they came to the 360/PS3? Is that not why we as fans have been behind the eight-ball the last few years?

When people say they want something innovative and new, just what the hell are they looking for (not at you OP)? Football is still football! How much innovation can we expect to see? Basketball is still basketball and I still think NBA2K accurately reflects that...no need to go overhauling the engine there .
Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
-- From MMChris review of NCAA football 10

Remember the post titled "Is Madden getting STALE?" This is what many long time fans of these football titles are realizing, and are starting to voice. I agree 100% with this. Madden and NCAA are not TERRIBLE games, they just haven't changed much in many, many years. Do they tune, tweak, and add a feature every year, YES. Has the core game and gameplay stayed the same for many, many years? YES. Again, not saying the games are garbage, they have simply run their course. This is why we need an overhaul, a NEW experience.

I'm new to these boards but have been talking about Madden/NCAA games for a while. Part of what you said is true, and like you, I too think Madden games aren't bad, but with the powerful consoles we have this gen, there should be no real reason for the games not to improve greatly.

I personally don't want anything revolutionary or innovative! I just want actual gameplay to "simulate" exactly like the pros on Sundays. More natural receptions and catches like the pros, and less of the warping at the last second catches and Ints in Madden! And the running...

Ex. In the NFL, when a RB gets the ball from QB, he starts off with small steps, accelerates to gain yards, decelerates if he needs to slow down, etc. If he is in the open field for a long run, he runs full strides to break away for the score. In Madden games to date, a RB gets the ball, and he is already in the full stride animation, no transition to it, while defenders have choppy robotic strides to mimmick the ball carrier running away for a TD.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
It's a computer game that attempts to replicate real life football. How much can it change???

It's limited by real world rules.

What exactly are you asking them to change? Would you like the ball to be on fire?? Players to have speed boosts?? Shower scenes??
I'd like it to be a better representation of football.

Quote:
The gameplay definately needs improving but from what i've seen from the blogs and videos, they seem well on their way.
One man's "well on their way" is another's "pretty far behind".

Quote:
Commentary and running animations need to be perfected but for me, neither is a game killer- i can't remember the last time i was running the ball on madden and half way through the run, i stopped and said that looks stupid, he doesn't run like that- i'm not playing anymore!
It's easy to see faults in things when you're just watching and not playing, let's wait to play the game before we ask for a revolution.
I have never stopped mid-play and said that either, but when you add up all the elements that fail to represent to sport, the game grows "stale" to those looking for something more like what we see on Sundays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
This is what I don't understand...did EA NOT overhaul the "engines" when they came to the 360/PS3? Is that not why we as fans have been behind the eight-ball the last few years?

When people say they want something innovative and new, just what the hell are they looking for (not at you OP)? Football is still football! How much innovation can we expect to see? Basketball is still basketball and I still think NBA2K accurately reflects that...no need to go overhauling the engine there .
Innovation that helps the game represent football more accurately. Yeah, they're doing that, but many feel the game is 3-4 years behind the curve.

I dig 8-man tackles & fumble pile-ups, but how'd they get in before realistic running, pass rushing & blocking animations?

When I compare the complaints on the NBA 2K forums to Madden's, 2K's seem minor. Same for The Show. The bar continues to be raised. Here, we're still asking for the fundamentals of football. Folks are still able to post vids of games from years ago and show how some of the basics should be represented.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »