Home

Jaguars offensive juggernaut this year? I think so.

This is a discussion on Jaguars offensive juggernaut this year? I think so. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Jaguars offensive juggernaut this year? I think so.

How the Jags shape up this season on offense...

O-LINE: For the Jags, it starts up front. I love the Jaguars O-Line, I think it will be the best in the league this year. It just oozes with talent, a great mix of veteran leadership, players in their prime, and upcoming talent. They got really unlucky last year with Brad Meester missing the first 6 games, and then Vince Manuwai and Maurice Williams getting injured for the season in week one. Paired with their return, the addition of Tra Thomas, and the drafting of Monroe and Britton in the first two rounds, the Jags boast some serious depth up front (and I didn't even mention solid veteran Tony Pashos). To maximize their talents I would say run an O-Line like this...

LT- Thomas, Britton (groom him behind Thomas in franchise mode)
LG- Manuwai
C- Meester
RG- Williams
RT- Monroe

Both tackles are great run blockers, which means Jones-Drew can run wild on sweeps and counters because Thomas and Monroe will be able to hold their blocks.

Rushing Attack: The running game will benefit greatly from an improved offensive line. Everyone knows about Maurice Jones-Drew and what he can do, but the guy that gets little publicity is Greg Jones. He has the talent to run the ball but was not utilized in that role much last season (only 2 carries). He can be used as the Mike Alstott to Jones-Drew's Warrick Dunn.

Passing Attack: David Garrard had a down season last year, mostly because he lost 3 of his interior linemen. He still has great ratings and can become a weapon in play action once the running game gets going. Torry Holt will finally give the Jags someone with sure hands, even if he has lost a step or two. The only other veteran player you can somewhat rely on is Mercedes Lewis at tight end. A former first rounder he is an above average receiver. Rookie Wideout Mike Thomas from Arizona could be a sleeper, he has some speed and athleticism, and fellow rookie Jarett Dillard boasts really solid hands and leaping ability for a rookie (85 catch, 95 jump).

I think a lot of people will underestimate what the Jags can do. What really sets them apart (in my opinion) is that beefed up offenisve line paired with the combination of Maurice Jones-Drew and Greg Jones. They might have the most lethal rushing attack this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Jaguars offensive juggernaut this year? I think so.

Obviously you have seen the Giants O-Line. This coming from a Dallas fan.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5

Nice write up. Not sure if you mean in Madden of IRL. Any team, if played correctly, can be deadly in Madden. Lions?? well almost any. IRL Del Rio has to keep the ego's from running wild again this year. Not sure if he can do it though.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Haha yea I have. If you play franchise mode it's going to be no fun at all seeing that O-Line and Jacobs 2 (maybe 3) times a year.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisol_us
Nice write up. Not sure if you mean in Madden of IRL. Any team, if played correctly, can be deadly in Madden. Lions?? well almost any. IRL Del Rio has to keep the ego's from running wild again this year. Not sure if he can do it though.
Both in Madden and IRL. And as far as the Lions go... if that offensive line could ever give Stafford/Culpepper 3 seconds to throw to Calvin Johnson then maybe... just maybe... we could say say the Lions have a glimpse of potentially being deadly. Or it's just wishful thinking on my part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
How the Jags shape up this season on offense...

O-LINE: For the Jags, it starts up front. I love the Jaguars O-Line, I think it will be the best in the league this year. It just oozes with talent, a great mix of veteran leadership, players in their prime, and upcoming talent.

I think a lot of people will underestimate what the Jags can do. What really sets them apart (in my opinion) is that beefed up offenisve line paired with the combination of Maurice Jones-Drew and Greg Jones. They might have the most lethal rushing attack this year.
I won't discount that the Jaguars have upcoming talent but the O-line can't be that great if the starting o-line has an average of 83 ovr. Their best player isn't in the 90s. The o-line wont hold their blocks for that long but they'll hold it long enough (hopefully).

The Jaguar's o-line might be able to perform good in real life but there is nothing doing in Madden 10.
Pass Blocking Average-89 which I'll admit is great.
Run Blocking Average- 85 which is alright if you if you run to the outside left. On either side of the center is death valley.

I'm not saying that the Jaguars have the worst o-line (because they definately don't compared to the other teams), but I don't think they will be the best o line. Giants most likely.
Please Unban me!!!!!!! I promise I won't troll anymore!!!!!!
Football Highlights
Football Pictures
Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

As someone who has the pleasure of seeing the Patriots week in and out, I would have to say no. To your points - the line will be better so long as they stay healthy. Garrard is a question mark. If I remember right he's only had two years as a starter, one very good, one okay / not so great. They have Holt but no one else to catch the ball and their running game is the same minus Fred Taylor not to mention that the coach is defensive minded and would prefer to run the ball 30 times then throw it. I personally like the Jags to make the playoffs because they'll be good but they'll be run and defense good not light up the scoreboard good.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
This has been said many times by NFL analysts, you can pretty much take any running back wether it be a Rookie or a 15 year veteran and that back will have 1,000 yards since that is how strong the Giants O-Line is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »