Home

Share your Madden memories here!

This is a discussion on Share your Madden memories here! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Share your Madden memories here!

I have a lot of good Madden memories from over the years and I wanted to share a couple here. I hope you do the same.

I remember teaching one of my friend's how to play football. We grew up and played touch football in the street with a group of like 6 people, but this guy was more a soccer fan. When he starte playing he would do the classic, throw all four downs and throw deep, blitz all the time. Then procede to lose by 40 or more. He generally is a good sport and was willing to learn. I would tell him to do simple things like stop calling deep passes every play and run the ball. Next, don't go for it on 4th. Punting and going for FGs doesn't make you less of a man. After we worked on how to call a more blanced game, I taught him how to run his plays better. We would work regularly with replays and break down what happened and what we were thinking while it was happening and what we should be thinking and looking for next time to do better.

All of that was Happening while playing Madden 02 on my NGC while we played NFL 2k on his dreamcast. In Madden 03 we started our first franchise together instead of just playing exhibition games all year. By madden 04 he actually got better than me and I started to have to really step my game up. We don't play as often together as we used to as we have grown up and graduated highschool, got jobs, etc. However, recently with the news about M10, we may start to set time aside to hang out and "get our John on." The thing we do now is start a franchise, set our teams up and sim one week at a time the regular season checking injuries and making any coaching changes we feel we may need to from week to week. We save and then play the post season and do the off season and start the next year all over again.

In short, it was a lot of fun teaching my friend who never even cared about football before to where he is at a point where he loves the game and all the depth of it. I still can't get into Futball though...

The other story I wanted to share was this. Madden 03, All-Madden, 8min quarters. I play at the Texans and he is the Falcons [the two worst teams in Madden 03 we want to build into super teams.] We play every game and we play as the other guy's opponant [for example: If it is Colts v Texans, he is the Colts.] First year I sign Randel Cunningham as a backup for David Carr. Carr goes down with an 11 week injury in the same fashion Tom Brady went down last year. Cunningham comes in and loses week one but ends up taking the Texans to the wildcard where we lose. Falcons miss the playoffs. 2ed year I make the Wild card again, this time I make it to the AFC Championship game and get killed by Pitt [I think I was shut out 41-0.] His Falcons win the division, but lose in he wildcard game. 3rd season I make it all the way back to the AFC championship game. His Falcons make it to the divisonal game and lose to Philly I think.

Texans at Jets. good close game. I take a 4 point lead and try to end the game in the final 5min. I run off a lot of clock and force him to use his time outs, however, I am forced to punt. I get a coffin corner and he is pinned inside the 5 with less than 30 to play. He throws and incompletion and on second down he throws a post pattern to Santana Moss under my cover 4 where he procedes to use his speed and agility and stick skill against my Texans still terrible secondary for a game winning score. The room was silent during the entire play and for a few seconds afterward. The shock was a big reason why. All these hours, all these months playing these three seasons and off seasons. I had the lead by 4. A FG wouldn't do it. Zero time outs. Just keep them out of the endzone and we go to the Superbowl. Then they let that Happen... just wow. We looked at each other. My hands droped low and like my jaw and my controler fell the last foot to the ground making a clunk. Then he eruppted with cheers while I gave the classic "WTF?!?" It was bad against me, but was possibly the best moment in Madden I have ever had.

I have plenty more stories, but please share yours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Share your Madden memories here!

Of my 15+ years of Madden football, the most fun I ever had playing the game was in Madden 2004 (I think it was).

I was a Arizona Cardinals Franchise (before it was cool, kids)... and this was the first, and to this day, the only time, I have played EVERY game in an offline Franchise for more than 5 years. Normally I get tired of it and choose a new team after 3 or 4 years, or just sim the away games, and play the home games...

Anyways, I was a toilet bowl champ... I think I won 3 games in my first season. Ended up with the first overall pick. There was a QB named Ricky Ware in the draft, his 40 time was like 4.25. (I liked to pretend he was the son of former Lions QB Andre Ware).

I drafted him first overall, and the next year he single handedly improved my teams record to 10-6. I couldn't wait to get off school/work to get home and play another game with this team. The next few years I won a few Super Bowl's with him, and then my PS2 memory card got corrupted and I lost everything.

But to this day, that was the best time I have ever had playing Madden.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

Double posting MADNESS!!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I was playing Madden 05 on the PS2: All-Madden, 8 min quarters I believe. This was the year the Eagles signed TO *shutter*, and went to the superbowl to face off with the Pats. Within the 2 weeks between the NFC/AFC Championship games and the real Superbowl, I had played exhibition games of the Eagles/Pats to have some fun replicating the real thing.

In one of those games, it was very very close, and I was down by 3 in the 4th quarter with only 3 or 4 minutes left. I lead a great drive that ended with a touchdown and 1:30 still left on the clock. The Patriots still had all 3 timeouts left, so there was plenty of time for them to get back into it, especially with Brady leading the way. As expected, Brady took his team down the field by spreading the ball around, which kept me confused as to who he was going to hit next.

With 15 seconds left and no timeouts, the Pats were on my 13 yard line. Brady lined up in a spread formation with 5 wideouts, and me in a dime package with my fastest guys on the field. Brady hits a wide open receiver over the middle with room to run. My safeties crunch down and everyone converges to the ball. As he hits the 3 and a half yard line, the receiver dives for the endzone in hopes to score the game saving TD. At the half yard line, he gets hit and the ball comes loose, he fumbles and with 4 Green jerseys around, I recover and time winds down. I beat the Patriots to become the Superbowl Champ.

That is one of my best Madden memories.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
UCL
Rookie

OVR: 1

My favorite Madden memory involves my repeated - and ultimately unsuccessful - efforts to have John Friesz carried off in an ambulance in Madden '92. My brother and I would play against one another and try our best to injure each other's QB - and usually we succeeded. But there was something about John Friesz. No matter how vicious the shot, no matter how unimpeded the progress of a blitzing linebacker or a defensive end, he always got back up. Eventually I gave up on dreaming that he could ever be injured and bestowed upon him the nickname "Balls of Steel." He is truly a Madden legend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 29

Madden 08 - Took the Browns to the AFC Divisionals vs. Denver in season 1.... got beat by 24 points in Denver...

Season 2 - 15-1 AFC Title Game against Denver in Cleveland.

Tied at 21 with :9 seconds left on the Denver 38.

Throw a 10 yard out to Edwards and Champ Bailey picks it off and runs 72 yards for the game winning TD... I am denied the Super Bowl.

One of the most frustratingly fun memories I have of any Madden...ever.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Madden 08 - Took the Browns to the AFC Divisionals vs. Denver in season 1.... got beat by 24 points in Denver...

Season 2 - 15-1 AFC Title Game against Denver in Cleveland.

Tied at 21 with :9 seconds left on the Denver 38.

Throw a 10 yard out to Edwards and Champ Bailey picks it off and runs 72 yards for the game winning TD... I am denied the Super Bowl.

One of the most frustratingly fun memories I have of any Madden...ever.
This is all great stuff people, thank you. I guess the Bbrowns just can't get past Denver in the Championship game ever.

A quick one I would like to share while I'm thinking about it: I'm playing 05 online and I am NE vs Philly. I'm down by 7, out of time outs and we are in the last 30 seconds of the game and he is on his 47yard line [if I recall. I know it was almost midfield.] He went for it on 4th down instead of just punting it away and I was shocked. He droped back to pass and slung it right to Mike Vrable who weaved his way down the field breaking two tackles and falling into the end zone with little time remaining. I thought about it and felt "I shouldn't even have scored, so eff it, I'm going for two and the win instead of playing for overtime." Not only was the return for a TD fantastic and I wish I had that replay, but I lined up with Correy Dillon in the goal line and ran off tackle to the left side bowling over B-Dawk to take the lead by one and held him out for the win.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

i just thought i would share this one. around 2006, 2005ish, i got into madden. it was at my orthodontist and i had never really liked sports video games. there was nothing else in the waiting room so i just picked it up. i think it was madden 04 for ps2. i remember it was lions @colts around 7-0 range or something. i played for a good two minutes then left. when i got home i tried looking for more football games, especially madden. the closest thing i got was ncaa 04. but then soon after i got madden 07 for gamecube. i liked it and soon enough i got madden 08. ive been hooked ever since. my best memories were when i was 10-15 and i would just play 08 for hours without getting bored. those endless summers where me and neighborhood friends would play some football outside and then come in and madden it up. i still love madden 08. but i believe the best madden games were 04-06. madden just brings back so many good memories. if i ever need 30-40 minutes of straight fun, i know where to get it. i know it might sound weird, but i want my kids to play it. i cant wait for college, to bring my gamecube and play it there. i have 04-08 for it. but ill probably just bring 05 and 08. ill still be playing 05 even though there will be madden 17ish.

Madden is a great game. I hope there's no end in sight. I love this game. I always will.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »