Home

Wow! What a difference a year makes...

This is a discussion on Wow! What a difference a year makes... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Wow! What a difference a year makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero Viper
I'm cautiously optimistic that '10 will be the breakthrough Madden for this gen. Because guys, let's face it, these games have been poor ever since we switched to 360/PS3. My worry is that the engine for the "next gen" games is garbage. The line play in particular has been particularly poor this gen. The running game has not worked properly since Madden '05 on the xbox/ps2. I worry that it may take a whole new engine to get these games back on track.
I agree with you 1000% I think the engine needs to be overhauled or removed for a better one. You shouldn't worry though. A new engine just might be what this game needs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

I predict this thread will be valid for the next few years. Every year there will be another "last year sucked, hooray for this year" thread. From what I have seen in the previews, there has not been enough attention payed to the player movements and general "feel" of a simulation. Who knows, maybe all we've been seeing are "early builds." I can almost guarantee from the vids that have been presented that the game will feel stale after a month of playing. I'm not saying 10 won't be good at first, but games should have a longer shelf life than that; shouldn't they?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #27
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnalien
I'm not saying 10 won't be good at first, but games should have a longer shelf life than that; shouldn't they?
That's the key right there. Will I be playing this game in March/April? I do have alot of faith in Madden 10, but I totally agree that a sports game needs a to have me playing it even if that season's sport has ended.

Despite the problems I have with NBA 2K9's ai and some of the gameplay, I still will play it because the other elements of the game come together so well imo. I still enjoy the game for the most part. Same with 2k8 and 2k7. I played them almost up until the next edition is out. I hope Madden has that same quality. Even though I'm enjoying NCAA, I don't know if I'll be playing it come March or April.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 7

The thing that amazes me is the fact that EA has lowered the game speed in the past, but nobody here has taken note.

Madden 08 has a much slower game-speed than 09 has. In fact, we seem to forget that the run blocking in 08 was actually pretty good. Just try running a HB screen and you'll see how good the blocking really is. The thing that killed Madden 08 for me was the horrible passing game and RB fumbles. The fumbles I could have dealt with, as it forced you to cling to the "hold onto ball" button. However, the passing mechanics were so incredibly broken (you couldn't lead a receiver with the ball) that I just couldn't take it anymore.

Madden 09 managed to fix the passing game, but broke the running game and made the game 2x as fast.

So really, Madden 10 is reverting to 08 in terms of game speed and blocking, but adding better graphics/models/presentation and improved passing. And for that much, I'll be happy. Madden 08 would have been a decent game had it not had a terrible throwing system.

One final thought. The weapon system that was first introduced into Madden 08 was actually a little fresh for it's time. I remember in 08 that the weapons actually had an effect on the gameplay whereas in 09 it was muted because everybody was fast and the ratings didn't matter. It's interesting to me how much EA is reverting this title back to play more like 08; whether people realize it or not.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #29
Banned

mvpatriot's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnalien
I'm not saying 10 won't be good at first, but games should have a longer shelf life than that; shouldn't they?
Online leagues alone will get me more play time out of this title.
Cant wait for thursday, then the real critics will begin
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #30
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Honestly I still have both madden 08 and 09 I tried on several occasions to play 09 and quit during the games because it was so bad. I remember in october going to E for all at the LA convention center. They had one booth set up and I did not see anybody playing the game. I am really hoping that EA's hype about this game pays off.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #31
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero Viper
'09 was bad. The running game & man coverage were flat out broken. It played NOTHING like a real game of football. I've purchased every Madden going back to the original PC version. Last year I didn't even play through 1 entire season in franchise.
I did not complete franchise mode either, the game was too unplayable for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have owned every madden since I can remember - this game is a rental for me, there is no reason every year I have to buy the PS2 version and the next gen version is inferior to an old system. This engine is ugly IMO and just the way the players move is a big turn off - I'm not holding my breath on this one

Last edited by wyrm187; 07-20-2009 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »