Home

Engine vs Animation

This is a discussion on Engine vs Animation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 24
Re: Engine vs Animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ruckus
is this problem coused here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIC0y...e=channel_page by animation or by the engine... or is the engine part of the animation or does the animation drive the engine im confused here.
Oooouch. Watching that video was bruuutal! Aaaaahhh!!!!!

In the game I'm playing now, I just ran the ball, got a good block in the front, with another guy running past my blocker, and the guy he's blocking. So, my blocker makes the first block, then as the other guy is running past him, my blocker WARPS backwards and blocks the second guy.

DOH!

It's true, there's a really ugly event happening on nearly every play, somewhere on the field. But, these kinds of issues can really change the outcome of a game, which makes any issue in Madden that much worse.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHouse2814
well the 2k engine uses canned(thats the word) animations but its physics based animation system especially in 2k5 and all pro 2k8.

its how its handle and the logic that drives. madden system is flawed and need to undercover rather than turtle waxing the helmets and placing hand towels(they cool too but under the hood need work)
God I loved 2K... how did they do it?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

well untill there is a ps4 or the next xbox, we are stuck with this engine love it or hate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlacher51
well untill there is a ps4 or the next xbox, we are stuck with this engine love it or hate it.
plz dont say that...its sad to say im still looking forward to this game...but not as much though, apex and other guys have killed it down.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
Im hopeing they would at least get ncaa in the future..
After NCAA11, it's possible we could see NCAA 2k12 because the license is up as of 04/11.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ruckus
plz dont say that...its sad to say im still looking forward to this game...but not as much though, apex and other guys have killed it down.
Thats some people's main goal..to kill off the excitement of the improvements that have been made over this 1 year and it completely ruin's the fun for others that just want to really have fun playing a videogame but get suckered into believing the heavy interrogation going on by Rmoody and others... i explained this to a T in another thread..

Some people want a perfect game of football with perfect logic..until they see a game produce this..they will be riding the bashing lane until the end of time...sad but true story

PS Example of one forumer...have you ever seen Rmoody say "anything" positive for the improvements made this year? Nope...what does that tell you? Its as if since they are not content and wont be having any fun this year....they bend over backwards to make sure your not content and they make sure you wont have fun neither...luckly its easy to spot these types, atleast for me it is..its easy to shrug off if you can understand what im saying...

Last edited by Moegames; 07-27-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Thats some people's main goal..to kill off the excitement of the improvements that have been made over this 1 year and it completely ruin's the fun for others that just want to really have fun playing a videogame but get suckered into believing the heavy interrogation going on by Rmoody and others... i explained this to a T in another thread..

Some people want a perfect game of football with perfect logic..until they see a game produce this..they will be riding the bashing lane until the end of time...sad but true story

PS Example of one forumer...have you ever seen Rmoody say "anything" positive for the improvements made this year? Nope...what does that tell you? Its as if since they are not content and wont be having any fun this year....they bend over backwards to make sure your not content and they make sure you wont have fun neither...luckly its easy to spot these types, atleast for me it is..its easy to shrug off if you can understand what im saying...
madden 10 doesnt wow me. i dont know what yall so excited about really but if this is your cup of tea, drink it all up cause 2k8 is the king of football.

played this weak demo yet again and i threw a beautiful streak route for a TD, if not i would have been at the one yard line. i have said passing in this is good in the sense but anyways my player caught then drop because the DB went for the pick with both up and in mid-air GRAB MY HEAD and BULLDOG ME DOWN.

lol and this suppose to better than 2k8 or 2k5. lol lol lol why the matrix got to ruin football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 8

This is all supposition and inference based on random comments by devs in videos and whatnot:

There are several engines within madden working in tandem. Some may be specific to madden, controlling behavior, while others like whatever engine is controlling animation would be part of a toolkit for their other sports titles which are also in production 365 days a year. So some of the code in Madden is in NBA Live and a plethora of other games.

This has some major advantages. They don't have to reinvent the wheel for each game, spending time and money writing essentially the same code over and over again. That means the code that is in the toolkit has probably been tested extensively and optimized more than would be possible with the short development cycles sports games are forced to use. Any improvements made by one group to an engine could be shared across several titles, greatly enhancing potential profit, which means they can rationalize spending more money and manpower doing such things. It also adds a certain familiarity across the EA sports titles. I don't really even have to play their NBA game to know roughly what it's going to feel like.

Of course, no system is perfect. By having a multitude of titles dependant on this toolkit, one would have to tightly control what can and cannot be done to it. For instance, some change that might benefit Madden could totally wreck their other titles. Any changes to this underlying toolkit would probably have to be carefully vetted, revised, and whatnot, which takes a lot of work and time. The internal workings of the animation engine is almost surely shared amongst several titles and is therefore probably one of the most difficult to change.

So the devs work within a system that simultaneously offers benefits and constraints. I'm sure they work very hard to make Madden as good as they can. If something hasn't been addressed, it may just be something that they can't fix, or can't fix in time, or they feel that given X man-hours of development time, other issues take priority.

Now I imagine specifics regarding their engines and development process are considered some sort of loose trade secrets, which is why their comments sometimes come off as vague. Remember who signs their paychecks, after all :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »