Home

Thought's on "Fight for Fumble"

This is a discussion on Thought's on "Fight for Fumble" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Fight 4 Fumble
Yes 74 30.71%
No 108 44.81%
You could take it or leave it. 59 24.48%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Thought's on "Fight for Fumble"

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
No this has nothing to do with the ref, it has everything to do with probability. When you have 3 or so team mates surrounding the ball and the opposing team is diving in from the outside. The probability of the opponent gaining access to the ball is 5% at best, he doesn't have an angle at the ball he's on top ect.... If EA wants to "fight for the fumble" in that instance my button mash should be significantly in my favor simply because I'm in the position of power and dominance over the pig skin.
I disagree with that. And the ref's positioning absolutely does matter in many cases. That's one of the ways they do in fact determine who has the ball... if they can clearly see who got it first it is often given to the guy who jumped on it first and the play is quickly whistled dead. When they can't see it (and this happens a lot as I pointed out) then they don't/can't quickly whistle it and award possession, they have to let the pile play out.

The other point to consider is clear possession. A player may jump on the ball but never actually fully possess it, and it doesn't matter if it's three guys from the same team surrounding it, he has to have full secure control. A ref in the correct position can determine whether the player who landed had total control. If he's bobbling it and hasn't yet firmly secured it, it's still considered live regardless of the fact that he got to it first.

I don't know and won't make an assumption on the percentages, but I know from playing football in real life and being part of many pileups, there were lots of times when the guy from the other team clearly got the ball first and had it ripped away from him. If in Madden it's a matter of 3 teammates or more surrounding the ball and getting it wrestled away on a regular basis then that's something to look into, but it cannot be said that this is impossible or that it never happens because it certainly does happen in real life all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I love it. I actually have some say in the fumble now. Its not who can get there first anymore. Also, button smashing seems like the only way to do it. Button smashing is the most violent you can do with the buttons, triggers, or analog sticks and the fumble pile ups are the most violent things in football. They kind of go hand in hand.
canes21, are you serious? you making that comment is no different from all the comments i made in my thread about having more control of the game; where you clearly argued with me!!!! i HAD a say so when i wanted to block the defensive tackle(lead blocking control)!!!! i HAD a say so when my wr was running toward the sideline instead of upfield when the play brokedown(playmaker)!!!! i HAD a say so when it was 4th inches on the 2 and my opponent was wo a doubt running the ball(run/pass commit)!!!! but now they're all gone thanks to your kind.

these features gave us madden players a "say-so" to different situations that happen in the game, its no different then giving the user the say so during a fumble

and for the record i like F4F but guess what??? itll prob be gone next year too!!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 4

I like the feature, but I don't like how the meter disappears for the last couple of seconds and sometimes when the cpu who was obivously losing the battle for the ball by far magically ends up with the ball at the end (CPU cheating). hopefully this won't happen online.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I disagree with that. And the ref's positioning absolutely does matter in many cases. That's one of the ways they do in fact determine who has the ball... if they can clearly see who got it first it is often given to the guy who jumped on it first and the play is quickly whistled dead. When they can't see it (and this happens a lot as I pointed out) then they don't/can't quickly whistle it and award possession, they have to let the pile play out.

The other point to consider is clear possession. A player may jump on the ball but never actually fully possess it, and it doesn't matter if it's three guys from the same team surrounding it, he has to have full secure control. A ref in the correct position can determine whether the player who landed had total control. If he's bobbling it and hasn't yet firmly secured it, it's still considered live regardless of the fact that he got to it first.

I don't know and won't make an assumption on the percentages, but I know from playing football in real life and being part of many pileups, there were lots of times when the guy from the other team clearly got the ball first and had it ripped away from him. If in Madden it's a matter of 3 teammates or more surrounding the ball and getting it wrestled away on a regular basis then that's something to look into, but it cannot be said that this is impossible or that it never happens because it certainly does happen in real life all the time.
Again, the ref is only gonna let you know who has possession. Again the scenario in many of the fight for the fumble cut scene take place with 3 team mates clearly surround the ball and one in possession of the ball(referencing to gamespot reveiw build videos).

In many scrums for the ball rarely if not ever does the possession change. The ref comes up clears the pile and makes the obvious decision. The ref is the decider of the ultimate outcome and the probabilities are more than likely if you have the ball from the beginning you will most likely have it at the end especially when you are surrounded by team mates.

Your will determines your success, not the ref. he comes in and say yeah doggie you got it.

Probability not ref. position.

Now if you and your opponent are attacking the pigskin after a fumble and you begin to fight for it and your button taps make the ball change possession several times, then the ref will come in and make a decision on whose the possessor of the ball.

Last edited by backbreaker; 07-28-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #45
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Definitely turning it off, due to the fact that I am the world's worst button masher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #46

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

I actually like it pretty good but, I will prefer to turn it off. Its pretty simple and easy and goes more your way if you actually landed on it then its really more about reflexes than button mashing. Just mash the button quick enough to catch the bar from going to the other teams side before its over. Its decent but, something I don't want to play.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #47
Rookie

nosaints26's Arena

OVR: 3

Good for head to head, otherwise it should be automatic and not a mini-game.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 12

First thing I'll turn off. Put the disc in find out where fight for the fumble is and turn it off for all eternity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »