Home

Why are streaks impossible?

This is a discussion on Why are streaks impossible? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Why are streaks impossible?

many other factors that come into play this year when passing. 1st and foremost, IF you drop TOO far back, you are now penalized for it...AWSEOME....Deep throws now actually require timing and practice.

Through trial and error, i can hit FITZ on a streak with the right conditions. Practice makes perfect, but you success rate even was good at it will still be well below 60%....which is quite realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I would think the reason you don't see Speed guys in the NFL beating guys deep on a regular is I think its rare you will see a team call plays that would leave a speedster one on one with someone that cant keep up. There's always gonna be a double coverage of some type on those guys. Even then sometimes you see a few WR's beat the double team but that don't happen much either.

However that's the NFL. If in Madden or any video game I have a one on one match up and no safety help deep and my WR is suppose to be much faster than the DB I would expect to win that IF the DB is playing press. If the DB is playing 10 yards off then it would take much longer for the WR to run past the DB and I would expect to get sacked by the time the WR got by him, but I am sure there has been times in the NFL a WR has blew by a DB playing 10 yards off him.

So far I dont know what to say about deep balls in Madden. Its a mixed bag. I have not seen a WR get much seperation from a DB on a fly. I figure there must be a sweet spot in the ratings where you see a noticable difference in speed between DB's and WR's and maybe the teams in the demo dont have those ratings.

Instead of speculating and trying to compare what you see in NFL games to game situations in a video game. Can we get some concrete facts and numbers from devs or people who really KNOW whats going on with the deep pass ?

How much of a rating difference do we need to see a 5 yard seperation between a DB and a WR running a fly route ? Is it a 10 ratings point difference ? Is it more than that or a little less ?

I also would not expect there to be many WR's that are a whole lot faster than most DB's in the NFL. So I would think double moves would help WR's get that seperation from a DB that they could not get jet running up the field with them. However I have not seen any fly patterns in Madden with double moves.

This is another one of those areas where the tech needs to be explained so no one mistakes it for being broken.

In MY world, MY football video game would have a training camp mode where this and other facets of football would be explained and you could run drills to practice it, so that when you hit the field there is NO confusion on what you are seeing. You will KNOW why a play succeeded and why it did not.

All that said we can't judge anything till the full game comes out to see how the other elite WR's run their fly routes.
I agree, I would expect there to be more faster dbs than wrs, however, if you look at the rating for 10 thats not the case.

For your point on creating a game that tells the user what to expect in certain situations I hear where you are coming from and if thats what you would like, so be it. But IMO finding these things out is what separates the average madden player from the top players.

I play madden very competitively and part of the fun in madden every year is finding out how the player ratings effect the gameplay. I have noticed that the deep ball is little more difficult than in the past and IMO that is how it should be. Im really just waiting for the final copy to come out because I have other issues in the game like the dumb over the shoulder catches i get even when im throwing the ball to my rb in the flats, the amount of dropped passes(excessive) by fitz and boldin, and the amazing db play by all the dbs!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 9

I've hit this pass a few times, to more success this year than any other. When I see the WR has a step and w/o safety help, I try to hit him.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I haven't had any issues hitting an open receiver on a streak.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
All Star

OVR: 21

Personally I think part of the problem is the [seeming] limited movement in the game, and the lack of true analog movement where players accelerate appropriately. Seems like there's only two speeds - whatever the player's general speed is, and whatever their speed is sprinting. Doesn't seem to be any in-between, no gradual acceleration. Perhaps the player speed slider makes a difference though.

Also the unrealistic way the players move. For example, DBs seem to be able to backpedal at near full speed. There really isn't a need to for them to twist their hips or plant appropriately when making directional changes. Also haven't seen DBs react to anything like double moves; they just seem to stick to the player they're playing. While streaks should be difficult to complete with regularity, they seem to be almost non-existent in the demo.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 7

the problem the matrix always had and why streaks have worked so well is the lack of pressure. Madden has never, even in the last gen madden, simulated a great/good OL/DL interaction. WHY? i dont know

now in 09 and 10 they solution to stopping the deep ball is let it float in the air all slow so the DB can react faster(which is very boring BTW) and lower speed of WR and DB. throwing deep should be the most fun in passing regardless if its a catch or not
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #31
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Streaks aren't "automatic" at any level of football. The timing has to be perfect and with realistic 40 times in the game, even if the receiver is much faster in game he only may gain a little bit of ground with each step. Combine that with what defense is being played. If a guy is playing off the receiver, it is likely the QB won't have time to hit the receiver with a pass because it will take the receiver too long to gain separation. If the DB is in press coverage, 90 % of the time they have safety help unless the defense is sending the house. It is hard to get the timing down on a simple streak pattern in the modern NFL, and it should be hard to do in Madden. I, for one, don't want to go back to the "super" Mike Vick days where you could streak a defense to death. It is not impossible to hit a streak in the Madden 10 demo, but it should be difficult to hit that pattern more than once or twice a game. There's a reason this doesn't happen all the time in the NFL, and as a matter of fact, most long pass plays in the NFL are on patterns other than the streak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

I was playing the regular Madden 10 demo this weekend.
I let the CPU drop back Manning.
The receiver (not sure who it was) ran a sort of post, then slanted to the middle of the field.
He was wide open with the defender well underneath him.

In real life, it was at least a 15 yard play. Even Eli would have hit him in stride.
In the video game version, Manning looked like he underhand hit a volleyball to the center of the field.
The woefully beaten defensive guy easily batted the pass away.
4th down and long.

Good old Madden, still the same since the 2001 version.

In that situation, all I should have to do is press the pass button, no leading needed.
The AI should be able to say, Eli Manning and this wide open receiver should be able to complete the play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »