Home

Player Weight and Leverage

This is a discussion on Player Weight and Leverage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Player Weight and Leverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam780
You read my mind and I laughed at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLukeisamazing
Pay attention to me! Please! I will say something about the game is a gamebreaker to me, even though nearly every sports game ever has never done a good job of this.

Then I'll drop the tired old "Matrix" lines, huzzah!
You guys should take your show on the road. I'm sure you will make a killing. You could have stopped it there. Why are you fellas trying to get at me when I'm answering the dude's question? Ah, the old "red herring" fallacy. Duly noted. You guys look just as ridiculous as the matrix people just in the opposite way. Congrats.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

I think the problem with this has always been how to balance ratings and physics into the locomotion. It's not easy, especially since just weighing that much doesn't mean you have consistent impact against lighter players. In fact, some lighter lineman are actually more effective often times taking advantage of the out of shape 350 pounders. For this reason I don't think it's as simple as: "That DT is 350 pounds and should be dominated this 275 lb OL! Fix this EA!" Unfortunately weight cannot be an accurate measure of strength in all situations, especially in a league with many overrated, overweight lineman. For this reason I can live with a few weird line interactions as long as the results aren't consistently bizarre. I also think it's weird how people think a video game isn't sim if the OL doesn't play fundamentally sound every play. I'd like to see the occasional human element added to the game, i.e.: assignment breakdowns on both sides of the ball, players slipping, missed blocks, fumbled snaps, etc. It seems when some of these happen, it's automatically not sim or a "glitch" with the game. End rant.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Rookie

iLukeisamazing's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnalien
You guys should take your show on the road. I'm sure you will make a killing. You could have stopped it there. Why are you fellas trying to get at me when I'm answering the dude's question? Ah, the old "red herring" fallacy. Duly noted. You guys look just as ridiculous as the matrix people just in the opposite way. Congrats.
So wait? You do the exact same thing you chastise me for in your original post, basically trolling for comments and then when someone calls you out for it, you then proceed to put up the ol' "look, I didn't do anything face."

Also, what is the ol' red herring falacy? At some point did I point to an alternative motive or knowingly wrong reason? No, I just called you out.

Also, adding "congrats" or "thanks" to a post doesn't really do much for you.
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I think the problem with this has always been how to balance ratings and physics into the locomotion. It's not easy, especially since just weighing that much doesn't mean you have consistent impact against lighter players. In fact, some lighter lineman are actually more effective often times taking advantage of the out of shape 350 pounders. For this reason I don't think it's as simple as: "That DT is 350 pounds and should be dominated this 275 lb OL! Fix this EA!" Unfortunately weight cannot be an accurate measure of strength in all situations, especially in a league with many overrated, overweight lineman. For this reason I can live with a few weird line interactions as long as the results aren't consistently bizarre. I also think it's weird how people think a video game isn't sim if the OL doesn't play fundamentally sound every play. I'd like to see the occasional human element added to the game, i.e.: assignment breakdowns on both sides of the ball, players slipping, missed blocks, fumbled snaps, etc. It seems when some of these happen, it's automatically not sim or a "glitch" with the game. End rant.

I think the run blocking issues go far beyond the occasional missed assignment. The results I'm seeing are consistently bizarre and not rare. They really need to get on this in a hurry.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
So wait? You do the exact same thing you chastise me for in your original post, basically trolling for comments and then when someone calls you out for it, you then proceed to put up the ol' "look, I didn't do anything face."

Also, what is the ol' red herring falacy? At some point did I point to an alternative motive or knowingly wrong reason? No, I just called you out.

Also, adding "congrats" or "thanks" to a post doesn't really do much for you.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Red herring by redirecting the thread towards what I said instead of answering the question. If you have no opinion on the topic, why come in the thread and worse yet, post?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I think the run blocking issues go far beyond the occasional missed assignment. The results I'm seeing are consistently bizarre and not rare. They really need to get on this in a hurry.
I am all for occasional hiccups that simulate real life mistakes. However, the issues we are talking about are critical to the overall experience. I think it will take a lot of work to get these necessities implemented realistically into the game.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Judgeing from the demo. It's still a problem. Willie Parker can truck bigger and stronger LBs with no problem..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Pay attention to me! Please! I will say something about the game is a gamebreaker to me, even though nearly every sports game ever has never done a good job of this.

Then I'll drop the tired old "Matrix" lines, huzzah!
Not to get involved in this, but there is some truth in his statement. Also, it isn't a reason to get defensive either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »