Home

***Official Madden Impressions (360/PS3)***

This is a discussion on ***Official Madden Impressions (360/PS3)*** within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #3353
Rookie

chainsaw4099's Arena

OVR: 4
Cool Re: ***Official Madden Impressions (360/PS3)***

this is the best madden i have played in a while.for the fun factor i would give the game a ten.if you can not see that the game is better then 09 then i do'nt know what game you are playing.just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #3354
Pro

solofx7's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: ***Official Madden Impressions (360/PS3)***

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw4099
this is the best madden i have played in a while.for the fun factor i would give the game a ten.if you can not see that the game is better then 09 then i do'nt know what game you are playing.just my opinion.
i second that
Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #3355
Pro

solofx7's Arena

the extra point show has grown on me.
i appreciate the effort put into this feature.
the big thing that it needs is randomly generated highlights.
that would make a huge difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #3356
Rookie

OVR: 3

I had my response all typed out to this thread...
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...cks-again.html

So I'm doing what I'm told, and replying to it here. (doesn't really make much sense, I just think the mods like to use their power just a little :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by naednek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Football is a chess match. So what if the QB was having a bad day before hand. All that matters is the current play that is running. If he gets the proper time and the correct play on any given down he will produce in a positive manner. Even then some people just get dumb luck. In madden the game is based on percentages and there is always a percent, no matter how big or small, that a bad or good play will happen.

Have you ever heard of Jake Plummer? The king of 4th quarter comebacks. He would normally play horrible all day long but manage to pull a come from behind win somehow. I guess Plummer has comeback AI huh...

I trust Ian when he said that there is no comeback AI. I have seen some strange stuff in madden. But IRL I have seen stranger stuff. Anyone remember the Colts vs Texans game the other year...?

I'm sure this game uses percentages, but it also has AI code that tells the CPU how to respond during a situation. It may not happen everytime, it could be random, but it happens.

Of course the developers are not going to admit it, if they did it would place their product in negative light. The fact is, it's in there, it's been in there for several years. MLB The Show has it, NBA Live has it, Burnout had it, and many other games have it. It's a cheap way to make the AI seem challenging. Instead it's frustrating, cheap, and cheatful, and most importantly, takes away from realism.

Take off the rose colored glasses for a while, and play the game, it's there. I buy Madden every year, and while there are many good things about it, there are just as many bad things, and the funny thing is, this comeback AI always finds its way back to the game, no matter what the developer says.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #3357
Banned

OVR: 2

Is it me or the devs switch the eyes from back of there heads and gave them to the reciever? I keep see the wr attempts over the shoulder catches 9/10 lol thas SIM for you
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #3358
Pro

OVR: 18

There is a good and bad out of the box in Madden 10.

GOOD
- Pro-Tac. Not only are there massive pileups and gang tackles, but the dynamic pushing and shoving and being able to branch out of these tackling animations means the play isn’t over until its over. Makes for much more realistic and varied gameplay.
- Online Leagues. Real online leagues. 32 players with full NFL scheduling.
- Graphic update. While not as dramatic as last years massive boost, the addition of towels, refs, fans, depth of field and self-shading make this the best looking Madden to date.
- Stat Adjustments. Spreading out the skills and attributes of the players make the game much more realistic. Every player "feels" like an individual.
- Slower pace. The game just feels more methodical, deliberate and less arcade-like. It also gives you more time to make your reads and to react.
- Cutscenes. I love the integration of cutscenes between the whistles. There are lots of them and they look fantastic.
- CPU Sliders. Being able to tweak the computer AI is thankfully back in this years game.
- Physics. Players feel like they have weight and momentum now. Maybe its the slower game speed, or the integration of Pro-Tac, but collisions are decidedly more impactful and genuine.
- QB Pocket. I love how this game rewards you for standing tall in the pocket instead of running back 20 yards to throw a long bomb down the field. The QB evasion is also very cool.
- Online Co-Op. Finally so cooperative play online. Im not sure about the camera angles. I would rather see a "normal" Madden camera for this mode so i could see more of the field. Also it would be much more fun to allow BOTH players to call plays and alternate QB duties on a play-by-play basis. Whoever picks the play is the QB kind of deal.
- Ticker. I love the information given in the ticker. Id love to see more out of town scores and an option to cut to an out-of-town highlight once in a while during franchise mode.

BAD
- Commentary. This has to be issue #1 right now. Tom Hammond is simply atrocious as the play by play guy. His voice is monotone and his comments sound very disjointed and unnatural. It is like a Speak-n-Spell calling the game. Terrible.
- Instant Replays. Nice to have a few replays in the game, but why do they not show replays of touchdowns? The game needs MORE replays - a lot more. Also I’ve noticed a ton of jumpy cuts and omissions in replays. It will flash that NFL logo and go to the highlight only to skip the entire replay and repost the NFL logo. Is this a glitch? And where is Backtrack? This was a highlight of last year’s game. I have yet to see it once in Madden 10.
- Extra-Point. I was very excited to see this halftime/post-game show make it into Madden 10, but its execution is not where I’d like it to be. First off the voice work is bad. The "recap" from around the league is way too fast. There isn’t even enough time to read the scores let alone hear about each game (like they would do in a real broadcast). The highlights need to have commentary in them too. Finally, I’d like to see highlights from realistic broadcast camera angles.
- CPU vs. CPU games. Slow it down. The point of watching these games is to simulate a TV broadcast, but Madden 10 blitzes through these games like it has some other place to be. Replays are non-existent and cutscenes are few and far between. It looks glitchy.
- Some Animations/Framerate. You'll notice this a lot on shots of the fans or players on the sidelines where people "pop" and stutter in their animation. Even on the field players will make sudden unnatural shifts and movements that look bad. The refs will magically pivot without moving their legs as if they are revolving on a turn-table (see this during kickoffs).

Hopefully some of the issues will be resolved in upcoming patches. The broadcast camera angle is another much needed feature.

Last edited by johnprestonevans; 08-17-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3359
MVP

OVR: 34

Love the game. Ive basically been playing the crap out of it since Friday, sonow I finally have a chance to post some points and get some feedback.

I really enjoy controlling the DL. I played my Jets in one game, and was just bulling people around with Kris Jenkins

Ive laso had a nice time using De's as well...some tackles are harder to beat then others, and that how it should be really.

Running is fine, I can run with power backs, speed and in between. I dont get what the fuss is about with that.

My 2 biggest struggles are with man coverage and passing the ball

It's near impossible to match up a running back in man coverage in this game.

None of the LBs are fast enough, and few of the safeties are. A athletic TE can be a problem also. Unless you have a quick safety, your besthope is to assign a nickle DB to him, and play some man out of nickle and dime sets.

Not only that, but there's also no such thing as effetive "off-man" coverage because they give up the inside so freely.

My single biggest issue so far is with passing the ball. I'm not missing reading too many things, but I find myself over throwing damn near EVERYTHING. I cant tell you how many throws Im making that are taking recievers right into defenders. I rarely hit someone in stride.

I think I'm carrying 2 years of APF habits into my passing..but I'm clearly not doing something right.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3360
Pro

solofx7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
There is a good and bad out of the box in Madden 10.

GOOD
- Pro-Tac. Not only are there massive pileups and gang tackles, but the dynamic pushing and shoving and being able to branch out of these tackling animations means the play isn’t over until its over. Makes for much more realistic and varied gameplay.
- Online Leagues. Real online leagues. 32 players with full NFL scheduling.
- Graphic update. While not as dramatic as last years massive boost, the addition of towels, refs, fans, depth of field and self-shading make this the best looking Madden to date.
- Stat Adjustments. Spreading out the skills and attributes of the players make the game much more realistic. Every player "feels" like an individual.
- Slower pace. The game just feels more methodical, deliberate and less arcade-like. It also gives you more time to make your reads and to react.
- Cutscenes. I love the integration of cutscenes between the whistles. There are lots of them and they look fantastic.
- CPU Sliders. Being able to tweak the computer AI is thankfully back in this years game.
- Physics. Players feel like they have weight and momentum now. Maybe its the slower game speed, or the integration of Pro-Tac, but collisions are decidedly more impactful and genuine.
- QB Pocket. I love how this game rewards you for standing tall in the pocket instead of running back 20 yards to throw a long bomb down the field. The QB evasion is also very cool.
- Online Co-Op. Finally so cooperative play online. Im not sure about the camera angles. I would rather see a "normal" Madden camera for this mode so i could see more of the field. Also it would be much more fun to allow BOTH players to call plays and alternate QB duties on a play-by-play basis. Whoever picks the play is the QB kind of deal.
- Ticker. I love the information given in the ticker. Id love to see more out of town scores and an option to cut to an out-of-town highlight once in a while during franchise mode.

BAD
- Commentary. This has to be issue #1 right now. Tom Hammond is simply atrocious as the play by play guy. His voice is monotone and his comments sound very disjointed and unnatural. It is like a Speak-n-Spell calling the game. Terrible.
- Instant Replays. Nice to have a few replays in the game, but why do they not show replays of touchdowns? The game needs MORE replays - a lot more. Also I’ve noticed a ton of jumpy cuts and omissions in replays. It will flash that NFL logo and go to the highlight only to skip the entire replay and repost the NFL logo. Is this a glitch? And where is Backtrack? This was a highlight of last year’s game. I have yet to see it once in Madden 10.
- Extra-Point. I was very excited to see this halftime/post-game show make it into Madden 10, but its execution is not where I’d like it to be. First off the voice work is bad. The "recap" from around the league is way too fast. There isn’t even enough time to read the scores let alone hear about each game (like they would do in a real broadcast). The highlights need to have commentary in them too. Finally, I’d like to see highlights from realistic broadcast camera angles.
- CPU vs. CPU games. Slow it down. The point of watching these games is to simulate a TV broadcast, but Madden 10 blitzes through these games like it has some other place to be. Replays are non-existent and cutscenes are few and far between. It looks glitchy.
- Some Animations/Framerate. You'll notice this a lot on shots of the fans or players on the sidelines where people "pop" and stutter in their animation. Even on the field players will make sudden unnatural shifts and movements that look bad. The refs will magically pivot without moving their legs as if they are revolving on a turn-table (see this during kickoffs).

Hopefully some of the issues will be resolved in upcoming patches. The broadcast camera angle is another much needed feature.
I just wanted to second that.
great thoughts.
that game is great and has a lil bit further to go, but i love playing it right now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »